Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bladeless April Challenge

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Re: Bladeless April Challenge
Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 01:46:53 AM
This is so my philosophy  :tu: :tu: :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 05:04:12 AM
Is the goal of this challenge really to not use a blade for a month?  Or, is the goal of the challenge to be the one who disappoints the Mayor of London the most?  I am not trying to be funny, I'm really asking.  If it is the latter I might join in.   Also advising against April due to the Buck 110 challenge already scheduled.
 :think: :dunno:
General Mattis had a somewhat different opinion than the Mayor of London.

This is a bladeless challenge. The goal is to go as bladeless as you can, substituting blades with other tools, like scissors, package openers, reamers, etc. You can still use blades if you have to and no other thing will do the job. Or if you need blades for work, or any other reasonable excuse, as the law in some countries puts it.

We're already four signed up for April. I think it'll be interesting to watch both challenges, one bladeless, and one with a knife, both happening simultaneously.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 05:09:47 AM
Is the goal of this challenge really to not use a blade for a month?  Or, is the goal of the challenge to be the one who disappoints the Mayor of London the most?  I am not trying to be funny, I'm really asking.  If it is the latter I might join in.   Also advising against April due to the Buck 110 challenge already scheduled.
 :think: :dunno:
General Mattis had a somewhat different opinion than the Mayor of London.
I’m closer to MadDog in philosophy.  But still interested in this challenge. 

I have a bladeless climber that I am interested in seeing how well it works.  Depending on time, I may also try to make a Yeoman, with 84mm file instead of blade.  But you can be sure there will be at least a traditional in my pocket just in case.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 06:01:14 AM
Good on you all for trying this, as someone that lives under those laws, eh I'll stay out of it :P

As for the tweet, his feelings are stupid and don't reflect the actual laws in the UK. You can carry an sub 3" blade that doesn't lock (like most non 111mm SAKs) and anything else you just need a reason to carry.

I abhor the sheeple culture that the anti-knife people are promoting, blaming societal issues on inanimate tools, but by-the-by, here's some UK guidance for you challengers since it was asked for:

-Scissors that you'd get on a multitool are okay
-Package openers like on the Rev and so on I'd say not in the spirit of things, it's just a particularly shaped blade
-A slightly ground combo tool would serve as a stand in and I think would be passable

As an example:

If I were to go somewhere where I wanted to be doubly sure I was beyond reproach (the general carry rule realistically is subject to the mood of the officer if it comes up), I'd carry my Leatherman Style PS.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

hr Offline styx

Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 08:04:18 AM
While this would be an interesting challenge to try, and will be interesting to watch, I already know I'd be stacking up those penalty points like it was some sort of... well MTO challange
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 09:00:23 AM
All the best to those participating in Mayoral challenges

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: February 10, 2021, 09:37:53 AM
The chap towing him looks embarrassed.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #37 on: February 10, 2021, 10:54:45 AM
Why should he be embarrassed? At least he's got an honest job.

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 02:16:28 AM
Hello
I will join the challenge. I have a bladeless Rebar due any day soon so it should be easy.
fortunately here in NZ multitools with blades are ok .More dangerous looking knives are deemed offensive and will get Mr Plod grumpy with you especially if you do not look like a responsible  MTo member.

1. ReamerPunch
2. Sos24
3. pipedreams
4. Antti Lammi
5. PaulDmmwc

:cheers:
Semper Sitienti !!

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 02:51:54 AM
Awesome, Paul!
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline Sos24

Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 04:38:26 AM
Hello
I will join the challenge. I have a bladeless Rebar due any day soon so it should be easy.
fortunately here in NZ multitools with blades are ok .More dangerous looking knives are deemed offensive and will get Mr Plod grumpy with you especially if you do not look like a responsible  MTo member.

1. ReamerPunch
2. Sos24
3. pipedreams
4. Antti Lammi
5. PaulDmmwc

:cheers:
Welcome.  It will be interesting to see your impressions.  I have been going back-and-forth between the Bladeless Rebar and MP600.  Even though I like the Rebar, I am leaning more towards the MP600, because the Rebar saw and awl will still cause a problem with our TSA.  I would really like to find a Bladeless Fuse, but those are impossible to find.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #41 on: February 11, 2021, 05:42:44 AM
Welcome aboard, Paul! :woohoo:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 11, 2021, 09:58:27 AM
Sorry, can't help, I've got a letter from my doctor saying I have to carry a pocket knife.  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: February 11, 2021, 11:56:54 AM
Need the extra iron :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 12, 2021, 01:09:50 AM
I think this is a fun idea for a challenge, though I'm not sure that I'll jump all in. 

I've been thinking about some themed ideas, and i really think this is a good one... turn the Multitool idea right on its head.  We've all (most of us anyway) bought in to the idea that a folder isn't adequate for the day to day things we do.  I think it's interesting to take it a step farther - using scissors and package openers and awls where a knife would have worked.

I'm not going to say that I "have to" carry a knife with me all the time... indeed when I did the 111mm challenge, I didn't use the blade for much (because it was much too much).  So can I get by without a knife... sure.  I've got plenty of coworkers and a couple of friends that don't carry a knife. 

The issue is... the challenge for me would be to come up with uses at this point in time.  Between work and home, I don't need to do much of anything out of the ordinary these days.  All my screws are tightened, and all my packages are opened.  Besides that, I don't have a bladeless tool. I can get a lot done with a Micra these days, but I'd like to reserve that for a later challenge. 

I would like to do a keychain tool challenge sometime.
I'd also like to do a combo edge challenge sometimes.

Anyway - I think this is a nice idea for a challenge on a number of challenging levels.  There are many places besides London where there is some restriction on knives, and I think that this is distracting us a bit.  I think if we can rename this to The Bladeless Multitool Challange, and focus on the challenge rather than the politics, we'll all be better for it.  After awl, we like multitools for a reason, don't we?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #45 on: February 12, 2021, 04:40:29 AM
I cannot change anyone's views on politics and relevant legislation, though being members of this particular forum, I think I know where most of us stand. Regardless, we never focused on the politics. This is a 30 day bladeless challenge. It should be somewhat easier to do it now with all the lockdowns and stuff, and of course very few have a bladeless multi-tool, and even fewer can go 100% bladeless for a whole month. Still, this should be more challenging than simply carrying a specific tool for a month.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 04:49:00 AM
This challenge shall now be known as the "Bladeless April Challenge"  ;)

Let us challenge ourselves for 30 days. Let's face everyday tasks bladeless, and make ourselves proud. :salute:

Guidelines (and nothing more)
-Post a picture of your tool every day, for 30 consecutive days.
-If your tool happens to have a blade, avoid using it as much as possible.
-If you absolutely have to use a blade, you will face no repercussions. This is just for fun.

What we can and cannot carry
Carry anything that will work and help with the challenge. A SAK with scissors, a multi-tool with a package opener, whatever.
If you need a blade/box cutter/hatchet for work or recreation, fine.

When
April 2021. Should go nicely along the Buck Challenge.

So, are you tough enough? :pok:
1. ReamerPunch
2. Sos24
3. pipedreams
4. Antti Lammi
5. PaulDmmwc

us Offline pipedreams

Reply #47 on: February 12, 2021, 04:53:40 AM
 :like:
-Todd

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 05:18:05 AM
I've been eyeing this one since it first came up, but I wasn't about to commit to a challenge more than half a year in advance. Now that it's in April, I'm there.

I mean, seriously — a challenge where you have to challenge yourself? Oh my sainted Aunt Agnes McGee!

1. ReamerPunch
2. Sos24
3. pipedreams
4. Antti Lammi
5. PaulDmmwc
6. Jothra

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #49 on: February 12, 2021, 05:24:31 AM
yay, Jothra is here! :woohoo:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #50 on: February 13, 2021, 09:30:34 AM
yay, Jothra is here! :woohoo:

I've long maintained it's your brain that solves problems; a knife just speeds up implementation. It's time to put my money where my mouth is.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 13, 2021, 01:40:27 PM
I've long maintained it's your brain that solves problems; a knife just speeds up implementation. It's time to put my money where my mouth is.

:iagree:

For a short while a couple of decades ago I carried trauma shears and nothing more.  I figured I could use the nub on the end to pry and tighten screws.  The whole affair was doable... But not ideal...

One in a while I see people who carry a regular pair of stainless scissors on their belt... And in the ultralight backpacking world, some people have taken to carrying a pair of children's arts & crafts scissors instead of a knife.

I agree...  It's not the tool, but what's between the ears that counts.

us Offline pipedreams

Reply #52 on: February 13, 2021, 03:21:15 PM
I use shears at work fairly regularly...at least I did before COVID19.  I have a pair of LM Raptors I have never used. Should be perfect for this.
-Todd

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 13, 2021, 03:55:39 PM
I use shears at work fairly regularly...at least I did before COVID19.  I have a pair of LM Raptors I have never used. Should be perfect for this.

I thought about that... I passed up a really good price on Raptors thinking I don't really need them... But now  :rant:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #54 on: February 13, 2021, 04:45:15 PM
Rather than finding or making a knifeless multitool, I'm going to see how much I can handle with just a CRKT KERT and a pair of Swisstool scissors.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #55 on: February 13, 2021, 11:09:30 PM
Actually, I may even forego the scissors, and just bank on digging them up in places I need them.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 14, 2021, 10:54:07 PM
You guys are going to starve to death  :ahhh

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 14, 2021, 11:44:24 PM
You guys are going to starve to death  :ahhh

I'm already starving.  This past Friday at work I used a disposable plastic knife for my lunch instead of what I had in my pocket.   :facepalm:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline pipedreams

Reply #59 on: February 28, 2021, 07:01:19 PM
Bump!
-Todd

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%