Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surefire knife, possibly a Crank....?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Surefire knife, possibly a Crank....?
on: January 15, 2021, 06:41:41 AM
So I recently bought a lot of knives. Sifting through the junk, I come across this Surefire in the box. Now, I was not at all familiar with the Surefire brand. Based on its configuration, I assume it is a rescue knife. It has a glass breaker and a hook slicer. It also has multiple other nifty features including a bottle opener and some other things I'm not sure what they're for. Does anybody know much about them? I looked it up on Ebay. There's no model name I can see on the knife anywhere, but it resembles the Crank models I see. However, there are differences in this one compared to any Crank I've seen yet on the bay.

20210115_001418.jpg
* 20210115_001418.jpg (Filesize: 470.13 KB)
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Re: Surefire knife, possibly a Crank....?
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 04:45:31 AM
So....anybody know anything about it? What makes it so special compared to the poj clones I'm drowning in?
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:49:31 AM
Surefire is a maker of tactical flashlights meant to be attached to firearms for low light level shooting un military and law enforcement circles. The flashlights were state of the art at one time. I have a flashlight from about 15 or 20 years ago.

This is probably just promotional junk

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 05:19:13 AM
Surefire is a maker of tactical flashlights meant to be attached to firearms for low light level shooting un military and law enforcement circles. The flashlights were state of the art at one time. I have a flashlight from about 15 or 20 years ago.

This is probably just promotional junk

OK, I have found out some more info, but I still don't know the truth about this particular knife.

Surefire did make (ok, market) knives. It is the same Surefire company that makes the flashlights you're talking about. They discontinued the knives maybe back around 2013 or so. They sold several models, and they were high dollar.

Having said that, I'm not certain this one is a genuine Surefire product. It may be a clever (and fairly high-quality) knock-off. It appears there are some out there. However, I have not been able yet to see any pictures of the actual knockoff.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 11:18:56 AM
Based on the web, they were US made, though who made them I don't know.  Some sides seem to have some information on them

If you are happy with it then it is a good knife.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 04:29:36 PM
Just thinking out loud.  When I see items branded with logos from companies on products they don't typically produce I don't tend to think of them as their products.  Did that make sense? 

When I evaluate a knife I tend to look at the sum of all parts.  If your knife parts all add up to a knife that performs for you and works as intended then the Surefire branding is a bonus to some degree.  That is if you like Surefire as a brand. 

I do have a few cheap and cheerful ( CnC ) knives that may not be the highest quality in term of ALL the materials however the sum adds up to a really good knife.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 05:40:55 AM
I did some more research and determined this particular knife is an all-out forgery. There are multiple ways to tell it from the real thing. One big give-away is that is bigger and noticeably heavier.

The reason I still thought it was legit was that I was hoping it was a different discontinued (yeah, rare) model. However, it turns out somebody set up and "cranked" these things out in China or elsewhere, making a physically solid knife, but not the real thing and certainly not worth any $200.

I ended up selling/trading this one off to a friend for about $20, filling him in on the entire illegitimate heritage. He was fine with all that, since he still got a cool knife.

So in case anyone else ever has one and is looking for the information, the real Surefire knives do not have the name and graphics plastered on the blade like the one in the picture here. Basically if you think the knife could be a fake, it probably is.

20210115_001418.jpg
* 20210115_001418.jpg (Filesize: 470.13 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%