Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Supertool Ltd Ed

Offline Buffalohump

Supertool Ltd Ed
on: January 16, 2009, 03:05:18 PM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get yr opinion on something. My very first MT was a LM Supertool. Damn, I loved that thing. Anyway, I was carrying it in my pack and long story short the pack got stolen out of my car one night when I forgot to take it in.

Since then I've been through a few MTs, I currently have a Wave I and II and SOG Pocket Powerplier.

I've been getting the old bee in the bonnet recently though (when I saw the Skeletool CX actually) but my typical method is to research exhaustively before I take the plunge.

So in my trawling I come across an all-black version of the Supertool that has turned up on the market. Apparently made for the troops. Its a little different from the standard ST in that it is a) anodised all black and b) has a crimping cut-out in the pliers.

So what I wanna know is - am I just being nostalgic buying this thing or is it a) still a valid tool to carry and b) a collector's item?

Thanks!

Mark

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Supertool Ltd Ed
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 03:15:43 PM
I have a few multitools but my main choice for carry is my black Supertool.  :)  For me, it does everything I want and is as tough as nails.  I can't see it being retired anytime soon.

The black ones do seem to be rarer than most, but are still commonly available on ebay and other places.

One thing about the black (known as Black oxide or BO) is that it can mark easily.  This doesn't bother me at all but does bother some. 

Oh, and welcome to the forum!  :)
I'm back!!

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:22:53 PM
Hey, thanks!

Actually I would really like to get my hands on the SS Supertool.

What are the odds of getting one in new condition you think?

Mark

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:26:14 PM
Hey, thanks!

Actually I would really like to get my hands on the SS Supertool.

What are the odds of getting one in new condition you think?

Mark

They are certainly out there, but are admittedly getting harder and harder to find.  Especially a new one.

Your best bet is to stick a wanted add up in the trade section and closely watch ebay.
I'm back!!

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:28:46 PM
eBay.... oddly enough although I belong to several forums and buy a lot of gear that way, I've never bought from them before. Guess I need to pop my cherry sometime though huh?

Possibly the other option would be to get the BO version and try to trade it with someone for a SS one. It doesn't have to be new, just in good condition.

Mark

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:30:18 PM
A good condition one shouldn't be too hard to get.  Like I said ebay is your best bet, but they do crop up on here from time to time as well.
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:44:34 PM
I snaffled a "used" SS supertool from US Ebay for around $50us delivered (I think).It still had the instruction stickers on it , telling you how to unlock the locks  :o :D :D. So my used ST was essentially new  8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:49:36 PM
Cool! I'm gonna go do a search now....

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:55:35 PM
Buffalo I found the best way is to actually log into US Ebay & do not rely on world wide searches mate. BTW congrats on the cricket I can not believe South Africa won  :cry: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline ratslash7

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:02:16 PM
eBay.... oddly enough although I belong to several forums and buy a lot of gear that way, I've never bought from them before. Guess I need to pop my cherry sometime though huh?

Possibly the other option would be to get the BO version and try to trade it with someone for a SS one. It doesn't have to be new, just in good condition.

Mark

I have an SS one and I wouldn't mind trading for a BO one. I EDC'd it for years but now it's in my emergency kit in my car. I'll dig it out and make sure, but as I recall it's in great condition.
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 05:56:39 PM

Mark

I have an SS one and I wouldn't mind trading for a BO one. I EDC'd it for years but now it's in my emergency kit in my car. I'll dig it out and make sure, but as I recall it's in great condition.

Sounds like this one could be well on its way to a happy ending folks :cry: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:36 PM
Welcome to the forums Buffalohump,the Supertool is still one of the best tools that Tim ever built,you can't go wrong with either SS or BO,but the BO with crimper will be the most valuable in the long run,good look either way you go,and hope to hear a lot more about you and South Africa. :cheers:& :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 05:20:50 AM
Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I have a Super Tool that I carry everyday for work and it hasn't failed yet :tu:

Good luck on the search hope all works out for ya ;) :D

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:33:53 AM
Hey, thanks guys....

Nice friendly bunch here!  :cheers:

Pretty international crowd too.

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 08:34:55 AM
Yeah, how about that? We do seem to be on a roll right now...

Buffalo I found the best way is to actually log into US Ebay & do not rely on world wide searches mate. BTW congrats on the cricket I can not believe South Africa won  :cry: :D

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 08:36:32 AM
Sure, I'd be interested if the condition is sweet.

Mark

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 08:37:42 AM
I checked out eBay - not too much happening right now. Just the one... but its on auction and I'd prefer to buy outright.

A good condition one shouldn't be too hard to get.  Like I said ebay is your best bet, but they do crop up on here from time to time as well.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:01 PM
I checked out eBay - not too much happening right now. Just the one... but its on auction and I'd prefer to buy outright.

Auctions are probably the best way to go IMO.  You won't find many listed as BIN.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:43 PM
Never ever turn down a good deal on a Supertool . They are great tools  :tu:

Dunc

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 01:11:19 PM
Never done the auction thing... what's the best way to roll?

Auctions are probably the best way to go IMO.  You won't find many listed as BIN.

Offline ratslash7

Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 03:24:33 PM

Mark

Well... there's a couple of problems with my SS Supertool that I forgot about.

1) there's no sheath. Lost it some time ago.

2) the smallest flat screwdriver's tip got broken my me being a ham-fisted idiot. I re-profiled it but it's not as long as it was originally.

I don't think it would be a fair trade. Still a great tool though. Good luck in your search.
A

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 04:10:00 PM
Nice to see you being honest on condition! Very good.
S

Offline Buffalohump

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 01:55:43 PM
Hey,

Don't sweat it bro... I just grabbed a Core from a local hardware store that had them at the 'old' price. I figure the Core is like an upgrade of the ST200. Its pretty similar, although a bit beefier for sure...

I may still grab that BO ST though and see if I can trade it for something interesting.  :D

Mark

Mark

Well... there's a couple of problems with my SS Supertool that I forgot about.

1) there's no sheath. Lost it some time ago.

2) the smallest flat screwdriver's tip got broken my me being a ham-fisted idiot. I re-profiled it but it's not as long as it was originally.

I don't think it would be a fair trade. Still a great tool though. Good luck in your search.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%