Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool Scissors

us Offline Steelej1976

Multitool Scissors
on: February 10, 2021, 01:25:19 AM
Do you guys prefer scissors on your Multitool or separate scissors?  I really like the Wave's and SAK Climber's scissors.  I don't think I would carry a Multitool without scissors unless they were terrible. 

au Online Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Multitool Scissors
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 01:36:25 AM
I like SAK scissors best and deliberately bought a Rebar recently because it doesn’t have scissors knowing I’ll be carrying a SAK too.

The Rebar saves about 40-45gm over my wave or spirit, both with good scissors but not as good as a SAK in my mind, allowing me to carry a compact for  similar weight but overall more versatility

Having said that like carrying just spirit or wave too but good to switch it up

:cheers:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 01:42:04 AM
I like tools with scissors.  That said, Echotech has an excellent suggestion of pairing an MT with the Vic Compact.  It brings a lot of functions to the table, with little duplication with the tools on most MTs.
- Steve

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 01:50:00 AM
I like SAK scissors best and deliberately bought a Rebar recently because it doesn’t have scissors knowing I’ll be carrying a SAK too.

The Rebar saves about 40-45gm over my wave or spirit, both with good scissors but not as good as a SAK in my mind, allowing me to carry a compact for  similar weight but overall more versatility

Having said that like carrying just spirit or wave too but good to switch it up

:cheers:

I hear what you are saying.  I tried going with a Tinker and Classic SD but I just found I missed having the scissors right on the same tool. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 02:19:29 AM
Scissors are a sticking point for me.  They either need to be very good, or not there.  I would get a Leatherman Signal before I got a Wave+ just because the Wave+ scissors look too small. 

With hiking and camping, I can do without scissors, and would rather carry a tool that didn't have them actually. 

In town though, I've become accustomed to having them - and I like to have good ones. I'm in agreement that a scissorless tool plus a secondary tool with scissors is a good way to go... but for me, it would probably be a Micra instead of a Compact.

I can't get myself on board with the Vic Classic scissors. Sometimes I wish I could because that would open up a lot of combo options.   It's a reason I haven't pulled the trigger on an Armbar yet. 

I'm not that selective with other implements... but for scissors, I either like them to be strong and capable... or not there (I'm OK with carrying a Micra but I prefer to do so without redundancy)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 02:27:15 AM
I've got to have scissors.  I don't like being without them.  I have carried a pair of electrician's snips with tools that don't have scissors such as the Super Tool 300, but I like the Victorinox scissors best because of everything else you can do with a SAK.
111mmday3b.JPG
* 111mmday3b.JPG (Filesize: 131.91 KB)
P1100743.JPG
* P1100743.JPG (Filesize: 96 KB)

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 02:43:30 AM
Scissors are a sticking point for me.  They either need to be very good, or not there.  I would get a Leatherman Signal before I got a Wave+ just because the Wave+ scissors look too small. 

With hiking and camping, I can do without scissors, and would rather carry a tool that didn't have them actually. 

In town though, I've become accustomed to having them - and I like to have good ones. I'm in agreement that a scissorless tool plus a secondary tool with scissors is a good way to go... but for me, it would probably be a Micra instead of a Compact.

I can't get myself on board with the Vic Classic scissors. Sometimes I wish I could because that would open up a lot of combo options.   It's a reason I haven't pulled the trigger on an Armbar yet. 

I'm not that selective with other implements... but for scissors, I either like them to be strong and capable... or not there (I'm OK with carrying a Micra but I prefer to do so without redundancy)

I totally agree Elvenblade but I will say the Wave scissors are better then you think.  They are strong and capable despite their smaller size IMO.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 03:07:50 AM
I totally agree Elvenblade but I will say the Wave scissors are better then you think.  They are strong and capable despite their smaller size IMO.

So I've heard.... But...   :think: Fortunately, I still have an Original Wave that's going strong.  If it failed for whatever reason, I don't think I would jump directly to a Wave+ though.  I'd actually go to one of my other MTs, and so there's quite a bit of time before I'd have to test the Wave+ out of necessity. 

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 03:25:22 AM
It took me a while to take any of these scissors seriously....

Now I've found I like the Wenger / Delemont scissors best. I carry an Esquire in my watch pocket when I'm at work. However, I rely on my Executive during white collar times. Meanwhile, my Ranger has the big scissors.

I grew to appreciate scissors because they cut the black plastic strapping cleanly and crisply at work. Knives, I find, sometimes split the strapping, ruining it. So when I'm trimming fouled strapping to restrap it, I use the scissors. I also found they work good for fingernails, packages, and many other things. So I grudgingly give scissors a place in my pocket.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 03:39:38 AM
It took me a while to take any of these scissors seriously....

Now I've found I like the Wenger / Delemont scissors best. I carry an Esquire in my watch pocket when I'm at work. However, I rely on my Executive during white collar times. Meanwhile, my Ranger has the big scissors.

I grew to appreciate scissors because they cut the black plastic strapping cleanly and crisply at work. Knives, I find, sometimes split the strapping, ruining it. So when I'm trimming fouled strapping to restrap it, I use the scissors. I also found they work good for fingernails, packages, and many other things. So I grudgingly give scissors a place in my pocket.

Yeah.... I get the begrudging aspect of carrying scissors... i've done it for long enough to appreciate them.  Years ago I found there were two things that scissors were better than a knife for, that were important to me.  1. clipping the errant whisker that I had missed.  2. opening soft plastic wrappers at work without having to be too careful.
I've been hooked ever since.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 08:19:23 AM
58mm or LM squirt scissors are all I ever carry. 99.9% of my scissors usage is personal grooming which is usually performed at home.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 02:29:39 PM
The only good scissors that leatherman made are in the surge, and even then it doesn't work great for hygiene tasks due to large size...58mm vic + a full size multitool (without scissors) ftw.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 03:33:46 PM
I do prefer my MTs with scissors.  For some reason I don't use my Wave/Charge scissors much.  I do use my Surge scissors quite a lot.  I was not the biggest fan of my Spirits scissors however they are good for task I do use them for.  My SAK 91mm scissors are my go to as are my 58mm ones. 

I do carry SAKs without scissors but only with other tools with scissors.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 05:20:43 PM
The only good scissors that leatherman made are in the surge, and even then it doesn't work great for hygiene tasks due to large size...58mm vic + a full size multitool (without scissors) ftw.

I disagree the PST II and OG Wave Scissors are great.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 06:01:49 PM
91mm or 93mm SAK scissors are a must for me.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 04:58:03 AM
I've got to have scissors.  I don't like being without them.  I have carried a pair of electrician's snips with tools that don't have scissors such as the Super Tool 300, but I like the Victorinox scissors best because of everything else you can do with a SAK.

I’m pretty much the same way.  I have to have scissors.  I would go as far as to say I probably use MT and SAK scissors more than the knife on MT or SAK.  A lot of times I have a separate folder of some sort and will use that for knife tasks.

I’m not that picky as long as they cut what I need ,which is usually paper, food packages (chips, nutrition bars, etc), thin plastic ties on new items and threads. Even for as maligned as the Spirit scissors are I find they do the job nicely especially if modded to open the jaws bigger. 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 05:57:14 AM
I rarely carry a folder down here, since even a SAK or MT could get me in trouble. So scissors are a must. SAK scissors are top. Not only do they cut well, but ergonomics are maneuverability are top notch.
Roxon makes great scissors.

The black-out NexTool has great scissors.

The Grand Harvest K6 I'm using for the Poker Face Challenge this week has fantastic scissors.

I do like the Wave's scissors, so I modded my Rebar to have them.

us Offline getahl

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 10:19:28 PM
SAK scissors are a must. All others I've tried pale in comparison.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 01:49:25 PM

I agree.  I use scissors mostly for detail work like skin boo boos, and other scissors just don't get the job done.

ca Offline Tet

Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 04:29:15 PM
I am the same, I like a SAK with scissors.  I probably don't use them as much as I think I will, but feel better having them there.  I have a wave+, and while I'm happy it has scissors on it, they are definitely underwhelming, especially considering the quality of the other tools on it.  They're not even close to as good as SAK scissors, or as good as the other tools on the wave+.

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 09:44:22 PM
I really like vic/wenger scissors those are just superb. I also enjoy using wave scissors, micra scissors are also great.
I saw wave with vic scissors installed.
I prefer to choose my MT so that i allways have least 1 pair of scissors with me.

Only Tools Matters

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 09:53:38 PM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:06:34 PM by Syncop8r »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30