Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Christy knife. 8049

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,765
Re: Christy knife.
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2021, 05:56:57 PM »
I was pretty stoked.  Here it is.  Its a gun metal color.   The box is a bit damaged but nothing too bad.
Awesome one Aloha!  :tu:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,661
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2021, 06:00:21 PM »
Thank you. 

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,084
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2021, 07:26:20 PM »
I was pretty stoked.  Here it is.  Its a gun metal color.   The box is a bit damaged but nothing too bad.

Great pics Aloha! :like: :tu: :tu:
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 64,609
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »
That is awesome :o love the color 8) :like: :like:
No Life Club Posts: 1,288
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2021, 11:07:04 PM »
I've been using it to cut up cardboard and hard plastic nearly every day to decrease the amount of garbage bags I fill. It is a demon slicer but not great at piercing, but that could be changed a bit by sharpening more of a point. The steel is not going to win any abrasive wear tests but is a perfect example of 'geometry cuts'. The thin blade and the acute primary bevel, guessing around 4 or 5 degrees per side, combine to make it sail through the material you are cutting. Even dull this knife in certain applications will out-cut a super steel knife with a thick edge that is sharp. I touch it up once a day using a ceramic rod and it takes about 10 seconds to get it hair popping sharp. Great little blade to have around :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 4,051 join The American Legion Family - since 1919
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2021, 11:38:56 PM »
Agree! Sharp utility, I use for many small tasks daily!

join KNIFE RIGHTS
No Life Club Posts: 1,465
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2021, 12:05:40 AM »
Agree! Sharp utility, I use for many small tasks daily!

And that is exactly what it is designed for; those many small daily cutting tasks. For that, its outstanding. But as understand forum their history, one navy pilot used it to cut his seat belts loose when he had one arm out of action from wounds. From the sales at navy exchange and army PX's during the WW2 years, many soldiers and sailors found use for a small task knife.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2021, 12:18:59 AM »
I have been practicing opening and closing it one handed  :salute: It is much easier with 2 hands but can be done easily with one hand :tu: The small size makes it a bit awkward at first but after a few minutes it was much easier  :salute:

I just hope I don't have to use it like that pilot did :ahhh but glad to know that it likely saved his life :salute:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,661
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:37 AM »
Thanks.  Its a great little design.  I have never seen one before I picked it up.  It was so cute I had to have it.  I forget what I paid but clearly it was worth the money spent as I went home with it. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2021, 01:41:48 AM »
I have been practicing opening and closing it one handed  :salute: It is much easier with 2 hands but can be done easily with one hand :tu: The small size makes it a bit awkward at first but after a few minutes it was much easier  :salute:

I just hope I don't have to use it like that pilot did :ahhh but glad to know that it likely saved his life :salute:

I have mine on a chain with my house keys and it works easiest for me if I have my little finger through the key chain to anchor it so that when I slide the blade forward the handle does not slide forward in my hand
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2021, 04:47:21 AM »
I have mine on a chain with my house keys and it works easiest for me if I have my little finger through the key chain to anchor it so that when I slide the blade forward the handle does not slide forward in my hand

Thats exactly the way my father showed my sister Anne and myself to use the knife. Also, with the little finger through the chain, and the blade extended only to the first notch, your thumb can conceal the blade and its ready in hand if things get hinkny. My sister Anne was 22 years old and working for a law firm studying to be a paralegal. Late one night after work, walking other car, she was assaulted. The Christy knife turned the tables on the would be rapist and he went to jail. Funny what a thin razor sharp blade across the juggler will do to ones aggressive tendencies.

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »
I had taken the chains off for the pics, so you could see the attachment point of each knife, and have not put them back on :oops: Guess I need to put that chain back on and practice opening that way :salute: Good tip :tu: :like:

I am glad the knife helped her be able to defend herself as well :salute:
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
Thats exactly the way my father showed my sister Anne and myself to use the knife. Also, with the little finger through the chain, and the blade extended only to the first notch, your thumb can conceal the blade and its ready in hand if things get hinkny.

Good tip cbl51! :cheers:

The Christy knife is in a class of its own as far as I am concerned.

It brings back a lot of good memories.

I have a great respect for Hal keeping the business going and being faithful to making the knife the same way it has always been made. :D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:54:23 PM by VICMAN »
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2021, 02:26:30 PM »
I had taken the chains off for the pics, so you could see the attachment point of each knife, and have not put them back on :oops: Guess I need to put that chain back on and practice opening that way :salute: Good tip :tu: :like:

I am glad the knife helped her be able to defend herself as well :salute:

I think you will find it a lot easier to open now Poncho! :cheers:
Sr. Member Posts: 299
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
When I started in the fire service these were de rigueur for my department, so of course I had to buy one. Never cared for it though; I thought my SAK Pioneer and Buck 110 did what I needed them to do better.

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »
When I started in the fire service these were de rigueur for my department, so of course I had to buy one. Never cared for it though; I thought my SAK Pioneer and Buck 110 did what I needed them to do better.

I think this quote from cbl51 sums up the beauty of the Christy knife:

"What the Christy knife is, is really a little Exacto knife type of tool that the blade can be opened to three different lengths for small detail jobs. To the uninitiated not used to it, it can feel bit cheesy or flimsy at first. But having used it a great deal since dad gave me my fist one back in the 1950's, I've found that it's actually a more rugged little cutter than you'd think. Key word here is 'cutter'. It's not a combat weapon, survival knife. It's a little pen knife type of slicer, for all those jobs a man used to use the little two blade pen knife for in the old days. It opens mail, UPS boxes, cuts twine in the garden, slice a chaw of a plug of tobacco, opens plastic blister packages with ease, cuts plastic tags off new clothing items, or like I found out about 21 years ago, cuts a seatbelt of a over weight person hanging upside down in an old Datsun B210 that was starting to burn, and their weight was jamming the seat belt release. The thin little blade went right through the nylon belt.

They are a great little knife for all those little mundane cutting jobs that will never be noted of in heroic terms. But I do recall in the Christy literature about a Navy pilot during WW2 that was wounded and trying to bail out of a crippled Hellcat, and used the Christy knife to cut the belts holding him in.

Like I said in an earlier post, the little Christy knife is obsolete by todays standard, with one hand Spyderco, Benchmades, and Kershaw assisted knives. But I find carryig and using the Christy knife is try much like driving a road worthy 1956 Ford Crown Vic, or a 1962 Chevy Belair. Obsolete by todays standards of performance and handling, but on a whole other level so much more satisfying to do it the old way, and still get it done well. Kind of like using a living piece of history. Like taking an old Colt D frame Detective special to the range. No, it won't have the firepower of a Glock, but you can imagine how a Joe Friday guy may have got it done. I like history, and using a piece of it in a day to day life is some fun on a certain level."

I own and have carried and used Chris Reeve Sebenza's, Buck 110's(Custom shop and regular), Al Mars, Striders, Lone Wolf's,etc., but the Christy is in a class of it's own and is capable of doing a lot of the ordinary daily tasks that arise.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:55:32 PM by VICMAN »
No Life Club Posts: 1,288
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2021, 04:50:37 PM »
Nice write-up VICMAN  :cheers:
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »
Nice write-up VICMAN  :cheers:

Thank you theonew! :cheers:
Full Member Posts: 177
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2021, 10:13:07 PM »
I seem to keep running in to a few of the same guys.
Here is the Companion and Mariner. The Companion is currently in my pocket.
The Mariner is for Sunday-go-to-meetin'.

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2021, 10:18:36 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:salute:   :tu:

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2021, 10:45:57 PM »

Great pics William! :like: :tu: :tu:

I have a Mariner and Traveler on the way. :cheers:
Full Member Posts: 177
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2021, 12:55:13 AM »
Great pics William! :like: :tu: :tu:

I have a Mariner and Traveler on the way. :cheers:

Thanks,
Christy knives can grow on you.
The company story is a tribute to an American company that has hung in despite all the new stuff out there.
I was asking questions about purchasing via email and the current Mr. Christy was responding. Finally he just told me to call him which I did. Wonderful person.
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2021, 01:46:22 AM »
Thanks,
The company story is a tribute to an American company that has hung in despite all the new stuff out there.
I was asking questions about purchasing via email and the current Mr. Christy was responding. Finally he just told me to call him which I did. Wonderful person.

👍👍👌

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2021, 02:06:08 AM »
Thanks,

I was given my first Christy in 1959-60 when I was 8 years old.

I have a lot of respect for Hal for keeping the company going and making the knives the same way they were made in the past.

The knives bring back a lot of good memories. :cheers:
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2021, 02:32:43 AM »
Nice! I'm sure they are a wonderful family!   :salute:

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 03:27:34 AM »
Great write up about the Christy knife and definitely sums it up very well :salute: :like:

Awesome pics of your Christy knives, William :drool: I have been debating on which one to get on their website and now the choice is even harder :ahhh You wouldn't think that with a company that only has like 3 or 4 choices :facepalm:but yep it is a hard decision :D
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2021, 03:28:00 AM »
Carried one today with my regular carry :cheers:

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:56 AM »
Thanks,

Yes, they can grow on you. It is a nitch item, but it gets the job for what its designed for done very well. But I tend to like nitch items like the Christy knife, the little North American Arms mini revolver, Vespa motor scooters.  I have a love of weird witch stuff that works well.

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2021, 02:24:07 PM »
Yes, they can grow on you. It is a nitch item, but it gets the job for what its designed for done very well. But I tend to like nitch items like the Christy knife, the little North American Arms mini revolver, Vespa motor scooters.  I have a love of weird witch stuff that works well.

:iagree:

Here is my North American Arms mini revolver

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2021, 02:39:07 PM »
Since the Christy's now come with a split key ring instead of a key chain, I thought I would show pictures of how I would hold them for opening and closing.

I added a small split key ring like the ones that come on a Victorinox Classic and then hooked the split key ring that comes with the knife to it. This extends the keys and key ring just a slight bit when your little finger is hooked through the key ring to anchor the knife and keep the handle from sliding forward when sliding the blade forward.

If you have larger hands you might need 2 small split key rings to extend the keys and key ring far enough.Also, if you have larger hands you may need to get the next size larger split key ring for your little finger to fit through it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:47:57 PM by VICMAN »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD