Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Christy knife.

cbl51 · 779 · 29390

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Christy knife.
Reply #90 on: March 04, 2021, 03:38:57 PM
:iagree:

Here is my North American Arms mini revolver

:tu: :tu: :tu:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: March 04, 2021, 03:47:35 PM
Since the Christy's now come with a split key ring instead of a key chain, I thought I would show pictures of how I would hold them for opening and closing.

I added a small split key ring like the ones that come on a Victorinox Classic and then hooked the split key ring that comes with the knife to it. This extends the keys and key ring just a slight bit when your little finger is hooked through the key ring to anchor the knife and keep the handle from sliding forward when sliding the blade forward.

If you have larger hands you might need 2 small split key rings to extend the keys and key ring far enough.Also, if you have larger hands you may need to get the next size larger split key ring for your little finger to fit through it.

Good set-up!

Do I spy a Victorinox quatro on your keychain? I grew up carrying a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on my keyring, but switched to a Vic quatro a few years ago, for the better small Phillips bits on it. It seems the whole world is now held together with number 2 or smaller Phillips, and the old Sear's just didn't have the good capacity for that. I had then the old Sear's 4-way and filed down the smallest bit on it for Philips use, and it worked, but not as well as the Victorinox product.

Like my old Case peanut, I now find that with a Christy, a keychain screw driver, and my old P-38 in my wallet, I can get by very well in the wilds of modern suburbia or outright urban jungle.  Add a small light like a Fenix E01 and I'm all set.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: March 04, 2021, 04:25:07 PM
Good set-up!

Do I spy a Victorinox quatro on your keychain? 

Thanks cbl51! :cheers:

Actually I have an H C. Cook Co. Powerful Pete one which was the first 4-way Key chain pocket screwdriver and has the smaller size screwdriver tips on it and I also have the Craftsman version with slightly larger screwdriver tips.

IMG_2376.JPG
* IMG_2376.JPG (Filesize: 175.76 KB)
IMG_2374.JPG
* IMG_2374.JPG (Filesize: 219.67 KB)
IMG_2377.JPG
* IMG_2377.JPG (Filesize: 169.84 KB)
IMG_2378.JPG
* IMG_2378.JPG (Filesize: 186.13 KB)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:52:38 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: March 04, 2021, 04:37:20 PM
Good set-up!

Add a small light like a Fenix E01 and I'm all set.

I also carry a rechargeable Nitecore Tini flashlight with 3 brightness settings 38, 145, and 380 Lumens. :cheers:
IMG_2379.JPG
* IMG_2379.JPG (Filesize: 162.92 KB)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:51:45 PM by VICMAN »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #94 on: March 04, 2021, 05:15:11 PM
I seem to keep running in to a few of the same guys.
Here is the Companion and Mariner. The Companion is currently in my pocket.
The Mariner is for Sunday-go-to-meetin'.
(Image removed from quote.)

Man, love that lighter! That's a beautiful combo!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: March 04, 2021, 05:41:11 PM
Man, love that lighter! That's a beautiful combo!

:cheers: :tu:

us Offline William

Reply #96 on: March 04, 2021, 08:43:07 PM
Gotta check out the Mini Revolver. Mine's a little large for a "small" pistol. Bond Arms Snake Slayer 45/410.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: March 04, 2021, 09:54:14 PM
Gotta check out the Mini Revolver. Mine's a little large for a "small" pistol. Bond Arms Snake Slayer 45/410.

Very nice William! :like: :tu: :tu:

Yours has a little more stopping power. :cheers:

us Offline William

Reply #98 on: March 04, 2021, 10:22:57 PM
Very nice William! :like: :tu: :tu:

Yours has a little more stopping power. :cheers:

A little. It can also break you wrist if you don't hold it right (just kiddin').

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: March 05, 2021, 12:49:25 AM

I've looked at those until I'm crosseyed. I'm very very tempted, but at my age and arthritis, I worry the recoil will be too much for me. That after the first shot, I won't have the stones to pull the trigger a second time! :o

us Offline William

Reply #100 on: March 05, 2021, 01:02:50 AM
I've looked at those until I'm crosseyed. I'm very very tempted, but at my age and arthritis, I worry the recoil will be too much for me. That after the first shot, I won't have the stones to pull the trigger a second time! :o

With a .410 and buckshot, you should only need one shot. You can get .22 barrels for practice.
I do agree that it is a bit much. May downsize to the North American Arms.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: March 05, 2021, 03:01:37 AM
With a .410 and buckshot, you should only need one shot. You can get .22 barrels for practice.
I do agree that it is a bit much. May downsize to the North American Arms.

Yeah, a blast of .410,  000 buckshot should solve most encounters of the ugly kind! But I like to practice with whatever gun I carry, so how bad is it? Like compared to a S&W J frame .38 special with the 125 grain plus P load? The little snubbie has quite a kick in the hotter loads, so is the Bond .410 much worse in spite of being noticeably heavier?

I have looked at the Bond backup in 9mm.

I love the little NAA because they are fun to shoot and with practice fairly accurate.  And with the Black Widow, you have two cylinders for both the .22LR and .22 magnum. Very nice carry set up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 04:57:19 AM by cbl51 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: March 05, 2021, 04:32:41 AM
Great idea with the extra keyring, VMAN :tu: I may just do that instead of the chain :think: :cheers:

Morr awesome pics as well, VMAN and William :like: :like:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: March 05, 2021, 03:47:34 PM
Great idea with the extra keyring, VMAN :tu: I may just do that instead of the chain :think: :cheers:

Morr awesome pics as well, VMAN and William :like: :like:

Thanks Poncho! :cheers:

us Offline William

Reply #104 on: March 05, 2021, 09:50:47 PM
Yeah, a blast of .410,  000 buckshot should solve most encounters of the ugly kind! But I like to practice with whatever gun I carry, so how bad is it? Like compared to a S&W J frame .38 special with the 125 grain plus P load? The little snubbie has quite a kick in the hotter loads, so is the Bond .410 much worse in spite of being noticeably heavier?

I have looked at the Bond backup in 9mm.

I love the little NAA because they are fun to shoot and with practice fairly accurate.  And with the Black Widow, you have two cylinders for both the .22LR and .22 magnum. Very nice carry set up.

To be honest I have never fired it. In fact, it has never been fired at all. My brother bought it several years ago just before he passed. I kind of inherited it and am reluctant to fire it. I have about 10 .410 shells so would only use it if I had to. That is why I am considering looking at the little guy, I have watched videos on it and doesn't look all that bad. When I carried for my job, I always had my .45 ACP Government 1911. That could kick with the right hardball in it.

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #105 on: March 06, 2021, 01:55:08 AM
Thanks Poncho! :cheers:
yes, I found a small brass split ring for my Mariner!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: March 06, 2021, 06:30:31 AM
I really don't understand the attraction of .410/45 handguns.

The .410 is not exactly a well-respected man stopper out of a full-length shotgun barrel.  I'm always happy to learn something new, but as of this writing I'm not aware of any professionals who recommend a shotgun smaller than 20 gauge for personal defense (even for smaller-framed or recoil-sensitive shooters), nor any law enforcement agencies or military units that issue any shotgun smaller than that.  The lower velocities provided by a short handgun barrel are going to render the .410 even less effective.  If one wants something to kill snakes with, snake shot is available in a number of popular handgun calibers.

A .45 is a solid choice.  Certainly, trade-offs have to be made between size/weight and firepower for a gun that is going to be carried, and different folks find different balance points between the two that work for them.  However, that Bond Arms piece weighs 20 ounces empty and only has a capacity of two rounds.  If I wanted to carry a .45 that weighed about 20 ounces, I'd get a Glock 30S, which weighs 22.75 ounces empty and comes standard with a 10-round magazine.

I have eyed those NAA mini-revolvers though.  Perhaps the ultimate small lightweight handgun; a true modern pocket pistol.  While I'd prefer a magnum, and I'm not generally an advocate (for tactical and PR reasons) of open carry, I might even be tempted to get the version with the ornate belt buckle; I bet I could wear it around, with the vast majority of people never recognizing it for what it is.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: March 06, 2021, 02:59:42 PM
yes, I found a small brass split ring for my Mariner!

:cheers:

us Offline William

Reply #108 on: March 06, 2021, 05:21:20 PM

The .410 is not exactly a well-respected man stopper out of a full-length shotgun barrel.  I'm always happy to learn something new, but as of this writing I'm not aware of any professionals who recommend a shotgun smaller than 20 gauge for personal defense (even for smaller-framed or recoil-sensitive shooters), nor any law enforcement agencies or military units that issue any shotgun smaller than that.  The lower velocities provided by a short handgun barrel are going to render the .410 even less effective.  If one wants something to kill snakes with, snake shot is available in a number of popular handgun calibers.

A .45 is a solid choice.  Certainly, trade-offs have to be made between size/weight and firepower for a gun that is going to be carried, and different folks find different balance points between the two that work for them.  However, that Bond Arms piece weighs 20 ounces empty and only has a capacity of two rounds.  If I wanted to carry a .45 that weighed about 20 ounces, I'd get a Glock 30S, which weighs 22.75 ounces empty and comes standard with a 10-round magazine.

I have eyed those NAA mini-revolvers though.  Perhaps the ultimate small lightweight handgun; a true modern pocket pistol.  While I'd prefer a magnum, and I'm not generally an advocate (for tactical and PR reasons) of open carry, I might even be tempted to get the version with the ornate belt buckle; I bet I could wear it around, with the vast majority of people never recognizing it for what it is.

I agree that it is not a very good carry or personal protection weapon however, as the name implies, it makes a better "Snake Slayer " for which it was intended. I think the. 410 load would be fine for that. Quality on this is extremely good. I still plan on looking at the North American Arms piece.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: March 06, 2021, 05:40:45 PM

Besides being intended for pests/snakes, as someone from the UK with great restrictions for firearms but a keen interest in them... Diddy shotgun shells look cute  :dunno:

You could argue that spread means you don't have to be as accurate, but I don't think .410 was ever intended for self defense or tactical use. Same with the weight of the Bond Arms, it's primarily a novelty really I think.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline TonySal

Reply #110 on: March 06, 2021, 07:35:09 PM
When exactly did this thread get hijacked  :ahhh
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline William

Reply #111 on: March 06, 2021, 08:17:18 PM
When exactly did this thread get hijacked  :ahhh

Sorry. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: March 06, 2021, 08:57:22 PM

Nice pic William! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline William

Reply #113 on: March 06, 2021, 10:09:01 PM

us Offline TonySal

Reply #114 on: March 06, 2021, 10:21:45 PM
   :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: March 07, 2021, 11:20:09 AM
I agree that it is not a very good carry or personal protection weapon however, as the name implies, it makes a better "Snake Slayer " for which it was intended. I think the. 410 load would be fine for that.
I agree the .410 would work for that purpose.  Further, I understand that you inherited the piece, rather than choosing it yourself.  One of the points I was trying to make, though, is that with snake shot available in .22 LR, .38, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .44, and .45, folks would probably be better off buying a gun in one of those calibers (or using one they already own) and loading it with snake shot as needed, than to buy a dedicated "Snake Slayer".

You could argue that spread means you don't have to be as accurate
No, not really.  Rule of thumb for cylinder choke shotguns is only about 1" of pattern diameter for every yard of distance from target..

I don't think .410 was ever intended for self defense or tactical use.
One would hope not, but see the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor.

Same with the weight of the Bond Arms, it's primarily a novelty really I think.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #116 on: March 07, 2021, 03:24:36 PM
Been carrying my Christy along side of a Black scaled Executive this week as well :o I have added the 2 split rings to it and can find it in my pocket much more easily now and using the bigger ring I can now open it better as well :salute: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #117 on: March 07, 2021, 03:25:12 PM
Still need to order some replacement blades but haven't sat down and took the time yet :ahhh

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: March 07, 2021, 03:48:45 PM
Been carrying my Christy along side of a Black scaled Executive this week as well :o I have added the 2 split rings to it and can find it in my pocket much more easily now and using the bigger ring I can now open it better as well :salute: :like:

Nice pics Poncho! :like: :tu: :tu:

Nice use of the 2 small split rings with the bigger ring! :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: March 07, 2021, 03:51:47 PM
If you look close in the first picture you can see that the second small split ring is actually a lobster claw :salute: I used it to give the whole setup a bit more swivel :cheers:

Thanks VMAN :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD