Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Splitman G45 - Oh my... this again!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Splitman G45 - Oh my... this again!
on: October 15, 2020, 11:06:12 AM
Detachable scissors, square shank Phillips. I know where this is going. :like:
Not sure if the whistle has a ferro rod attached to it. :think:

Same model, but with corkscrew instead of whistle.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Splitman G45 - Oh my... this again!
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 12:08:00 PM
I cannot help wonder who made this, and for that matter, who makes all these no brand multi-tools.
The scissors and ruler edge look just like those on the Roxon Storm. I would not be surprised if they were involved in some capacity.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:29:50 PM
They're probably made where everything else is made, The People's Factory numbers 5 or 7.  Sometimes in Factory 8. :dunno:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:53:22 AM
Not sure if the whistle has a ferro rod attached to it. :think:

I found another listing, and it had a picture of the tool striking a ferro rod, so it might have one. :think:
I am a little concerned that most listings do not show any ferro rod in any picture. I cannot not even find a picture of the whistle detached from the tool.
And the only listing of the tool with good shipping is the one with the corkscrew.
I'll wait a bit until I see that the one with the whistle has good shipping, and pictures that show the whistle and hopefully ferro rod detached.
But it looks like it has it. :think:

Offline ComboTool

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 02:11:28 PM
The scissors and ruler edge look just like those on the Roxon Storm. I would not be surprised if they were involved in some capacity.
Or maybe Roxon have gained a sufficiently high profile to be copied.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 02:25:44 AM
I like the idea of the removable scissors.   :like:

I never use scissors on multi tools like a Swiss champ or a Leatherman Surge because even though they deploy out away from the body of the tool, I find them awkward when there is a big half pound of metal attached to them.  But then after years of carrying little keychain tools like the Style, I find those tiny scissors much more manageable.  (but also limited, obviously)
I could be wrong but it looks like if someone perfects this design it could be a really useable set of scissors on a big MT.

Offline master69420

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 11:15:37 PM
I like the idea of the removable scissors.   :like:

I never use scissors on multi tools like a Swiss champ or a Leatherman Surge because even though they deploy out away from the body of the tool, I find them awkward when there is a big half pound of metal attached to them.  But then after years of carrying little keychain tools like the Style, I find those tiny scissors much more manageable.  (but also limited, obviously)
I could be wrong but it looks like if someone perfects this design it could be a really useable set of scissors on a big MT.

Yeah IDK, I feel like they are extra bulk you just don't want in already large, cheap, heavy multi tool. I think there is a reason big companies like gerber, victorinox and leatherman don't put them in. If you wanted a proper pair of scissors you would probably just go get a pair. These things can't carry everything full size, so why bother with scissors? Scissors do very little that knives can't do just as well. I love having scissors (usually to trim my nails otherwise they dont get done) but nothing that size.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 09:15:58 PM

Yeah IDK, I feel like they are extra bulk you just don't want in already large, cheap, heavy multi tool. I think there is a reason big companies like gerber, victorinox and leatherman don't put them in. If you wanted a proper pair of scissors you would probably just go get a pair. These things can't carry everything full size, so why bother with scissors? Scissors do very little that knives can't do just as well. I love having scissors (usually to trim my nails otherwise they dont get done) but nothing that size.

Well Yeah.  In general, I agree.  To me a perfect full size multi tool would not have any scissors.  But I think we are in the minority, there are a lot of people who love them some scissors. 

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 12:27:42 AM
Well Yeah.  In general, I agree.  To me a perfect full size multi tool would not have any scissors.  But I think we are in the minority, there are a lot of people who love them some scissors.

Scissors are great for precision cutting. An example is when my girlfriend asks me to remove the tag on her shirt while she is wearing it. Good luck doing that with a blade without immediately becoming single.

Another thing I use scissors for is cutting cordage. Scissors keep the end from fraying as much compared to a blade. I love blades and carry one daily but scissors are superior in some cases.
The right tool is the one you have on you

Offline master69420

Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 10:46:40 PM

Yes, that is it, that is all there is to it. People be asking me 'can the scissor cut 6mm paracord in one snip' and i'm like, why the smurf dont you just use the serrated knife you noob?

Offline electro

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 03:32:34 PM
This could go to my list of multitools to buy
But as soon as I spotted that combo blade, it turned me off.

I like the idea having detachable scissors so that, you can have them with you and remove them while cutting paper for craft or for whatever purpose. It also gives you freedom to either carry them or not. As a person said above, removable scissors is innovative concept but it needs some RnD (remember when those Z type multitools were new and where they are now)

Is there any way we can convert a combo blade to plain edge blade (by extensive sharpening on machine, etc.)?

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 11:55:25 AM
This could go to my list of multitools to buy
But as soon as I spotted that combo blade, it turned me off.

I like the idea having detachable scissors so that, you can have them with you and remove them while cutting paper for craft or for whatever purpose. It also gives you freedom to either carry them or not. As a person said above, removable scissors is innovative concept but it needs some RnD (remember when those Z type multitools were new and where they are now)

Is there any way we can convert a combo blade to plain edge blade (by extensive sharpening on machine, etc.)?

If the blade is any good then someone with a grinder can grind down the serrations and create a new edge. Yeah, the blade won’t be as thick (height-wise) when you started. I’m with you in being turned off by the combo blade. 

With that said, why hasn’t any of these China companies tried making a combo blade like the Spirit’s? 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 02:46:27 AM
Scissors are great for precision cutting. An example is when my girlfriend asks me to remove the tag on her shirt while she is wearing it. Good luck doing that with a blade without immediately becoming single.

Another thing I use scissors for is cutting cordage. Scissors keep the end from fraying as much compared to a blade. I love blades and carry one daily but scissors are superior in some cases.

I finally agree. I used to think scissors were stupid. Now I use them frequently. Packaging, plastic strapping, cordage, tape, paper, etc. They crimp as they cut so they leave a nice clean edge. This is especially good when I cut plastic strapping, hoping to reuse it. The cut needs to not split the strap, and scissors do a good crisp job. A knife blade can hang up and split the strap. Especially if you thought it was sharp and it wasn't as sharp as you thought it was.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 10:08:38 PM
Just received this! :mail:
Branded Aietol in Amazon but no branding whatsoever on the tool itself.

It does have the ferro rod.
Back-springs for scissors and pliers make it a little heavy.
Liner locks for blade and saw, teflon washers, blade is sharpened nicely. Thumbstub protrudes a bit too much.
Saw is not tapered from spine to teeth but teeth are crisp.
The Phillips does not lock but has a very strong back-spring. Scissors are sweet. Pliers ok. Everything is nice and tight.

I will not say I recommend it just yet, since the NexTool Mini Crapship seemed ok but broke after one smurfing week.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:54:26 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 11:24:53 PM
 :rofl:

A back-spring broke. So, it lasted almost 2 hours. :tu:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 11:47:06 PM
:rofl:

A back-spring broke. So, it lasted almost 2 hours. :tu:
(Image removed from quote.)

Oooh my, that was quick! :facepalm:  :sa: :dwts:

us Offline BauerMobileToolSystems

• My JerryRig tips: www.facebook.com/BauerCustom
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 01:07:40 PM
I got one with the brand name Pohaku on it from Amazon a few months ago. I like it & its great for $20-ish but it is bulky & heavy. I didn't notice any ferrous rod on it, is it small and hidden?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 01:27:13 PM
I got one with the brand name Pohaku on it from Amazon a few months ago. I like it & its great for $20-ish but it is bulky & heavy. I didn't notice any ferrous rod on it, is it small and hidden?

Post a picture of it from both sides.

Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 07:13:21 PM
Ok here's one side I had in phone. I made a pull tab for the phillips driver with trimmed Gorilla tape.
IMG_20201110_115857.jpg
* IMG_20201110_115857.jpg (Filesize: 94.34 KB)

Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 07:17:25 PM
And here is the other side
IMG_20201110_115258.jpg
* IMG_20201110_115258.jpg (Filesize: 94.34 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 07:20:58 PM
You have the version with the corkscrew. The other version has a whistle and ferro rod in place of the corkscrew.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%