Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who Hasn't owned a PST? 3803

No Life Club Posts: 1,392
Re: Who Hasn't owned a PST?
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2021, 09:14:44 PM »

I can only hope that you change your mind some day.   :tu:

I really fail to understand the love for it. There is the Wave and the Surge and other, more exotic tools which all make PST look design- and function-wise outdated.
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2021, 09:15:59 PM »
I've never owned a PST. I'll show myself to the door.

Let me join you  :P
No Life Club Posts: 2,212 This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2021, 01:00:43 AM »
:rofl:

I'll not crucify you Millhouse.  :D  Any particular reason you've not carried it?

When I bought the PST, I pretty much knew I would never carry or use it. Just wanted to own a little piece of MT history.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 64,220
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2021, 02:17:42 AM »
I really fail to understand the love for it. There is the Wave and the Surge and other, more exotic tools which all make PST look design- and function-wise outdated.

It is the compact form factor combined with a very capable toolset that make it such a great tool :salute:  it may look outdated but the design is very solid and functions very well for what it is :tu:

Think old car vs new car. If you have an old car that is still in great shape and it performs as it should then why not drive it :D New cars might be fancier and may even perform better but that doesn't mean that there isn't still room for an older car ;) many people buy old cars just for the nostalgia as well (I don't care for old cars personally but can see why others like them  :cheers: )

Same with the PST :tu:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,465 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2021, 03:51:21 AM »
 :iagree: except I like old cars :rofl:  Actually, for me I still remember the excitement of my Dad over the PST.  We wound up getting him an RB Winters version back in 1983.  He carried it until 2004 when he gave it to me.  I lost it shortly thereafter :facepalm:  It's partially nostalgia, and I think the build quality is a good bit better than a lot of newer models. 
I think I'm going to go get mine :D

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 2,563
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2021, 03:53:07 AM »
It is the compact form factor combined with a very capable toolset that make it such a great tool :salute:  it may look outdated but the design is very solid and functions very well for what it is :tu:

Think old car vs new car. If you have an old car that is still in great shape and it performs as it should then why not drive it :D New cars might be fancier and may even perform better but that doesn't mean that there isn't still room for an older car ;) many people buy old cars just for the nostalgia as well (I don't care for old cars personally but can see why others like them  :cheers: )

:iagree:

Even though I don't own one - it's small, has a well-thought-out toolset, and the form factor is nice and simple.... The form factor might seem outdated (since you have to open the tools to get at them) but I there's something about it that I prefer.  It's not flashy. 
I carry a Micra instead of a Style for the same reason. 
Hero Member Posts: 922
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2021, 08:18:49 PM »
The interesting thing about my multitool journey is that I thought I knew better...now...having had nearly every multitool pass through my hands at least once...all I can say is that the PST was the perfect tool on the first try. By the numbers...the PST and PST 2 have the highest tool density that has ever existed... quantitative proof there is something behind the magic of the PST.
No Life Club Posts: 2,487
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »
The interesting thing about my multitool journey is that I thought I knew better...now...having had nearly every multitool pass through my hands at least once...all I can say is that the PST was the perfect tool on the first try. By the numbers...the PST and PST 2 have the highest tool density that has ever existed... quantitative proof there is something behind the magic of the PST.
Like so many tools/people over the years. The right tool/person, in the right place, at the right time.

None are better, just different  :dunno:

I have had a number of LM tools over the years, some lost  :'( some given away  ::) and some stolen  :rant:

I may not have used my (J) PST much since getting it, via a very decent member here  :salute: :tu: but it represents where my journey started. There were SAKs prior to this but long before this forum existed.

I'll treasure my PST and use it for the upcoming challenge but, it's mostly just about where it all started  :multi:    :drink: :salute: :tu:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:44:24 PM by SurgeUk »

They don't like it up 'em!
No Life Club Posts: 1,208
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2021, 03:44:57 AM »
Never had (or even touched) a PST.
Pretty rare here. When one apear the price is something between 200 and 100 USD.

But in my opinion, is a really beautifull multitool.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 4,420
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2021, 10:45:13 PM »
I never had a PST, until just about an hour ago. :mail:
Thanks to the generosity of SteveC my 09/98 dated PST arrived, cleaned and oiled, and looking almost new.  It has a curious logo on it that has the word firey under a lightning bolt on one side of a dotted line and a large X on the other side of the dotted line. I'm interested in finding out about the company if anybody knows anything.  They surely couldn't be bad if they were handing out Leatherman tools.  :D  Thank you again to Steve! :hatsoff: :cheers:
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,915
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2021, 11:19:32 PM »
Very nice Alan.  :tu:

Planning on carrying it?

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,324
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2021, 11:23:25 PM »
Very nice indeed Alan  :like:

Well done Steve  :drink:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,503
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2021, 11:38:50 PM »
You're welcome Alan  :cheers:
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2021, 12:56:56 AM »
Congrats Alan :woohoo: and good on you, Steve :salute: :like:
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2021, 01:48:04 AM »
Very nice Alan.  :tu:

Planning on carrying it?
I absolutely will carry it. It will become part of my regular rotation as soon as the challenges are over.  Until then I will leave it out on my desk so I can at least play with it while I'm reading through MTO. :D
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2021, 01:50:24 AM »
Outstanding Alan!  Way to go Steve!!  :cheers:

Barry
Full Member Posts: 160
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2021, 02:00:02 AM »

I am with you.  While the PST may be the OG multitool the Wave to me is the ultimate and most innovative.  To me Leatherman tools are BW and AW (Before Wave and After Wave).
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2021, 03:36:53 PM »
Different strokes for different folks   :tu:
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2021, 03:39:15 PM »
If I could only have one and I had to choose between the Wave and the PST I'd go with the PST   :tu:

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2021, 04:13:31 PM »
 :iagree:

Barry
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,967

Nix us

« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2021, 07:20:34 PM »
 :iagree: :iagree:

The Wave is a great multitool, but the size and functionality of the PST is brilliant.

heterodox, not in the box
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2021, 07:35:30 PM »

Well, sir, you got my attention  :D I am getting curious about this tool now :)
Full Member Posts: 160
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2021, 11:10:27 PM »
Different strokes for different folks   :tu:

Very true.  I will say if it wasn't for the Wave I would be right there with you PST guys.  I don't care for the Skeletools, Free series, Signal, etc.  The Surge is too gigantic.  I have a lot of respect for the PST and if it wasn't for the PST the Wave wouldn't exist.
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2021, 11:26:09 PM »
Well, sir, you got my attention  :D I am getting curious about this tool now :)

:hatsoff:

:D
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2021, 06:21:08 AM »
Sometimes simple is better and the PST feels like it's about half the weight of the Wave too.  You know how NASA spent millions on a pressurized pen that would write in space while the Soviets just used a pencil.  That's what it reminds me of.  Simple and fully capable.
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 02:54:49 PM »
That is the beauty of a PST, simple, elegant but very functional :salute: The Rebar almost gets that same level but just doesn't have as small of a form factor nor the nostalgic feel :salute:
Full Member Posts: 125
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2021, 05:57:03 AM »
I haven’t had the pleasure of owning a PST, but, for awhile I did carry my late father’s SOG tool that was similar to it. That tool will deservedly be going to my eldest brother.

I also recently bought a couple of my own SOG tools, a PowerLock (far bigger than my Dad’s old tool), and a PowerAccess Assist (a poor man’s equivalent to the Leatherman Charge+), to have something different. I also LOVE my Leatherman Rebar as it builds upon the PST style.

I’d love to see a Rebar 2.0, that was slightly thicker and had tools like scissors, and few more. It just has a nice, comfortable form factor that doesn’t sacrifice too much in terms of usability.

One advantage that most multitools with inside tools have, is they are protected if and or when the tool is dropped. This is one thing I like about both the PST, Rebar and similarly designed tools. If you drop the tool with all tools closed up, the likelihood of any of them being damaged is low.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:18:51 PM by SteveC »
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2021, 02:20:02 PM »
I haven%u2019t had the pleasure of owning a PST, but, for awhile I did carry my late father%u2019s SOG tool that was similar to it. That tool will deservedly be going to my eldest brother.

I also recently bought a couple of my own SOG tools, a PowerLock (far bigger than my Dad%u2019s old tool), and a PowerAccess Assist (a poor man%u2019s equivalent to the Leatherman Charge+), to have something different. I also LOVE my Leatherman Rebar as it builds upon the PST style.

I%u2019d love to see a Rebar 2.0, that was slightly thicker and had tools like scissors, and few more. It just has a nice, comfortable form factor that doesn%u2019t sacrifice too much in terms of usability.

One advantage that most multitools with inside tools have, is they are protected if and or when the tool is dropped. This is one thing I like about both the PST, Rebar and similarly designed tools. If you drop the tool with all tools closed up, the likelihood of any of them being damaged is low.

There is room in the Rebar for scissors

Rebar II

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,915
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »
While I never got on with the SOG Pocket Power Plier quite as well as with the PST it does have the same compact size and shape that I appreciate.  :tu:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Full Member Posts: 125
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2021, 06:47:13 PM »

There is room in the Rebar for scissors

Rebar II

(Image removed from quote.)
What tool had to go to accommodate the scissors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $68.20
PayPal Fees: $4.61
Net Balance: $63.59
Below Goal: $236.41
Site Currency: USD