Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New guy from Ontario, Canada 483

Full Member Posts: 151
New guy from Ontario, Canada
« on: February 15, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Just a quick hello to the membership. Knife and tool nut from Canada. So many areas to start posting I don’t know where to begin. Once I figure out how to post pictures here I will be off to the races.  :woohoo:
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,611
Re: New guy from Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 04:11:32 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum !   :cheers:

Most find imgur the easiest way to post pics. If you want to attach them directly they need to be resized to 512k . You can use a resizing app for that on your phone.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,061

Nix us

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:17:44 PM »
Howdy and welcome, Tinner!  :waving:

We love photos......

heterodox, not in the box
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
Managed to post a pic in the “What is your latest SAK?” thread. Not super stoked about the quality but I’ll get ‘er figured. I noticed you guys here on MTO love pictures. I’ll try to do my duty :salute: and post a bunch of my gear. I have lots to go through and so far a hundred threads that have caught my interest. Can’t wait to work on some merit badges!

Nix us

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »
Be sure to obtain and fly your SAK Knight banner!   :SAKnight:

Nix us

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 05:19:55 PM »

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,015 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 08:05:50 PM »
Welcome aboard, Tinner!

:cheers: :salute:

You're right, :worthless:

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Nix us

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:57 PM »
Ontario is beautiful.  :like:

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »
Ontario is beautiful.  :like:

I agree. This is just a taste of my view of the yard while setting up for a pig roast a year and a half ago. Any picture I took right now would look very white these past couple of weeks. Actually waiting on a storm to hit today that is threatening another foot of snow. And I am in SW Ontario about an hour from the border to Buffalo.

Oh and a Vic pic for Pfrsantos
Sr. Member Posts: 327
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »
And I am in SW Ontario about an hour from the border to Buffalo.

Whereabouts, Tinner? I've got friends in the Falls and St. Catharines (I did have a friend in Toronto, but he moved to New York). I was all booked to visit them last Summer but, well, y'know.  ::)

We have the tools, we have the talent!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:22 PM »
I am in Binbrook which is amalgamated with Hamilton. Almost smack in the middle between the Falls and T.O. I have a few friends in St. Catharines as well. My job (I’m a sheet metal worker) has taken me to all of those cities for work. Although, I avoid Toronto like the plague (no pun intended).

Nix us

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 09:24:01 PM »
Toronto is a fun city to visit.   ;)

Sr. Member Posts: 327
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 09:34:39 PM »
I've passed through Hamilton once or twice, but nothing more around there. And I've always enjoyed my visits to Toronto, although I know my St. Catharines friends avoid going there unless they have to.

We have the tools, we have the talent!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 10:04:07 PM »
Toronto is a fun city to visit.   ;)

Lol. Visit being the key word....for a very short time. Work hadn’t taken me there in more than 15 yrs. Back to my days as an apprentice in fact. Then, in the beginning of fall 2019 I agreed to go to a job across the street from Union Station. I was only there for 6 months or so but was very glad when the day came to move on to the next project much closer to home. I only really visit for concerts and the C.N.E. Maybe once every couple of years. Can be a fun town as long as you don’t look too deep lol.
Point Of No Return Posts: 30,464 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 10:06:09 PM »
Welcome aboard!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 10:13:42 PM »
I've passed through Hamilton once or twice, but nothing more around there. And I've always enjoyed my visits to Toronto, although I know my St. Catharines friends avoid going there unless they have to.

Binbrook is at the SE edge of the city. More rural, kind of on the edge of both city and country. I have lived in a few different areas of the city both above and below the escarpment. People here call it the mountain. Even the city does. Any access up or down the escarpment are label as “mountain access”.  :dunno:
Sr. Member Posts: 368
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 10:15:11 PM »
Welcome from the capital  :cheers:
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »
I’m about 4hrs away over the bridge near Detroit,, and about to get slammed with 9in of snow,,
JR

As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 10:18:48 PM »
Welcome aboard!
JR

Thank you! I am finding myself right at home as I browse the threads. Having a hard time finding topics I DON’T have interest in. I told my wife that I joined a support group for my gear addiction. She said that I don’t need a support group but there should be one for the wives.  :rofl:
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 10:22:55 PM »
Thank you! I am finding myself right at home as I browse the threads. Having a hard time finding topics I DON’T have interest in. I told my wife that I joined a support group for my gear addiction. She said that I don’t need a support group but there should be one for the wives.  :rofl:
When I first started I was kinda quiet, but after years of talking to everyone I’ve opened up, this forum is more then just a “multitool forum” it’s more like a family!
JR

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 10:26:51 PM »
I’m about 4hrs away over the bridge near Detroit,, and about to get slammed with 9in of snow,,
JR

Yes sir. Looks like we are all getting a good dose of the white stuff. Dumping on you then straight into me. Looks like Erie and Buffalo are gonna get creamed pretty bad too. I get to work on roof all day tomorrow placing curbs for roof tops. Clear snow at work then come to clear some more.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 10:28:46 PM »
Welcome from the capital  :cheers:

:cheers: Cheers fellow Canuck!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 10:36:08 PM »
Yes sir. Looks like we are all getting a good dose of the white stuff. Dumping on you then straight into me. Looks like Erie and Buffalo are gonna get creamed pretty bad too. I get to work on roof all day tomorrow placing curbs for roof tops. Clear snow at work then come to clear some more.
Err, we live in a corner house so I got double the amount of sidewalk duty and I sold my snowblower this summer because we were thinking of moving so everything we’ve gotten so far I’ve done by shovel and this is going to be the worst, and is going to suck with a bad back!
I must say I don’t miss those days being up on a roof! On top of a Lowe’s building in this crap or in summer time installing the hvac units,,
JR

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 10:46:55 PM »
Err, we live in a corner house so I got double the amount of sidewalk duty and I sold my snowblower this summer because we were thinking of moving so everything we’ve gotten so far I’ve done by shovel and this is going to be the worst, and is going to suck with a bad back!
I must say I don’t miss those days being up on a roof! On top of a Lowe’s building in this crap or in summer time installing the hvac units,,
JR

I hear ya. This is a new Amazon warehouse going in at the airport. 149 units to place. We are doing the lift via helicopter. A first for me so I am actually excited. The placing the curbs part not so much. Working on Q decking is terrible for the ankles and has a ripple effect right up the back. I am averaging 10km or about 6.2 miles a day on that roof.

Luckily, I have a blower and a plow on my ATV to take care of the snow at home. Kinda have to though. I have an acre and my driveway is huge. But no sidewalks to do.
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 10:58:47 PM »
I remember one time me and two other crewman were taking up plywood sheets, and me and one other guy were dragging a sheet while the other big guy had one over his head, but we had nasty cold winds, next thing me and the one guy had the sheets that we were dragging hip hight flying, the other guy couldn’t hold it and ended up having to let it go and since he was a little in front of us as he let it go it flew right between me and the other guy just missing us and now we’re looking at each other like OMG! Sucked for the other guy cause it blew right off the roof,, oops!
JR

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 11:17:18 PM »
I remember one time me and two other crewman were taking up plywood sheets, and me and one other guy were dragging a sheet while the other big guy had one over his head, but we had nasty cold winds, next thing me and the one guy had the sheets that we were dragging hip hight flying, the other guy couldn’t hold it and ended up having to let it go and since he was a little in front of us as he let it go it flew right between me and the other guy just missing us and now we’re looking at each other like OMG! Sucked for the other guy cause it blew right off the roof,, oops!
JR

Of all the weather, high winds I hate the most. The most frustrating to work in for sure. And a very destructive force. I was working on the St. Catharines hospital and a wind storm came through. Ripped temp walls apart. I watched a stack of 5/8” fibreglass board, 4’x10’ sheets used on the exterior of the building and for shaft walls, get picked up and thrown like cards off a deck being dealt. The storm had ripped off roofs and tossed tractor trailers over on their sides.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:25:18 PM by Tinner »
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 12:59:26 AM »
One year like 8yrs back when we lived in Connecticut we got hit with a northeastern, the nutty thing was I just replaced my water heater and it heated one batch of hot water before we got knocked out no heat hot water or electricity of one week, I had to take a cold shower, brr, we ended up getting about 10in and to keep the fridge cold I packed shoebox size containers with snow and shoved them in, the next morning they would be melted so I’d dump them and repack them, us and the two kids hunkered down into two rooms, used a little propane space heater, food wise I hade my camp stove or the grill outside, came up with a few diff meals
Speggs, one can diced spam, and about 8eggs,
Spack, one can diced spam, and 2boxes of Mac cheese,
And something else but I don’t remember, schools were closed for two weeks even though they got electric back up, they had so much snow on the roofs they asked for people to come down and even bring a snowblower to get the snow off because it was heavy and they worried about the roofs,
Yet the funniest thing I’ve seen was when I was a kid back in conn, I think we had some type of tornado rip through and my father and I went for a drive after to see the damage, and you can see stuff just broke and mashed yet here’s this huge tree with a large vinyl record unbroken yet stabbed right into the tree!

And right now we’re getting slammed with snow!
JR

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 01:08:38 AM »
We’re just getting a touch of it now. Weather map says it should really start piling on around 8pm EST. Take it easy on that back MadPlumbarian.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 01:36:37 AM »
Enjoy,, there was a sidewalk and a walkway but the winds are so bad it just smoothed it over and it just keeps coming,,
JR

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 64,374
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 05:25:12 AM »
Welcome to  :MTO:  Tinner :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65