Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All that glitters...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
All that glitters...
on: December 01, 2021, 11:14:48 PM
I told myself no more Treads.

I told myself no more knockoffs, fakes or other crap, at least not without a good reason.

And now I sit here, staring at the blingiest (and thankfully cheapest!) Tread I own.

EBay is a dangerous thing.

Def

* 16383965994800.jpg (Filesize: 103.05 KB)

* 16383965995061.jpg (Filesize: 96.31 KB)

* 16383965995312.jpg (Filesize: 101.19 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ph Offline Zephon

Re: All that glitters...
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 01:55:04 AM
 :like:

It’ll go well with a watch.  You can even mix and match it with a stainless tread for a two-tone look. Or even a black one.

My only gripe with the KO Treads is that their insides are too small for the LM driver bits to fit inside them (as if I’ll use them).

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 02:29:02 AM
Is that made out of brass?

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 03:28:20 AM
You saying you aren't going to buy another Tread is like me saying I am not going to buy another PST :whistle:

We both know it is a lie :rofl:

It is different that is for sure :D If it was real gold though :dd: :drool: I still wouldn't wear it :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 11:34:59 AM
The major difference between the Tread and the PST is that the PST is useful.   :facepalm:

Just to sum up, this is my 4th Tread, two real and two fakes.

Not bad for a tool I actually hate I guess...  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 01:36:53 PM
 :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 02:59:22 PM
All that glitters isn't gold....

Fortunately it has yet to turn my wrist green, but it is transitioning slowly into a stainless version....  :facepalm:

I haven't really worn it much, and it hasn't been used for anything yet, so there's really no excuse for it flaking off already.  I'd strongly suggest anyone even remotely interested in this one not waste their $$.  It was the cheapest Tread copy I have had so far, at $42, and it is likely just as useful as any Tread (real or fake) but the coloring is not likely to stand up to much more than sitting in a display case.

If you want an affordable version of the Tread, go for it, but don't expect the color to stay on it long.

Def

* 16385396008240.jpg (Filesize: 130.3 KB)

* 16385396008631.jpg (Filesize: 100.53 KB)

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 05:31:25 PM
Good for others that you found this out :D

Taking one for the team I suppose :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 06:17:26 PM
That is indeed how I justify it!   :facepalm:

I am trying to wear it today, but when I went into a Subway to get lunch I left it in the car.   You see, I had forgotten that there was a high school next to this particular Subway, and I really didn't want to order a sandwich with a hundred teens all laughing at my ultra gaudy bling.   :facepalm:

Def

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 07:12:30 PM

:popcorn:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 07:47:27 PM
Is that made out of brass?

(Image removed from quote.)

Sorry., I saw the meme but passed over your comment!

No, it's not brass.  It's just stainless with some kind of uber cheap gold coloring on it.  It scratches off pretty easily and you can see the stainless underneath.

I will say however, that I have yet to see something the real Tread could do that these fakes can't.  I'm not trying to promote the knockoffs, but for under $50 vs $200, im not sure if I'd get another Leatherman Tread.... or even reccomend anyone parts with the money for one.  The only actual, functional difference I have noticed is the lack of a carbon insert for the Scriber.

Def

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 09:30:15 PM
I will say however, that I have yet to see something the real Tread could do that these fakes can't.  I'm not trying to promote the knockoffs, but for under $50 vs $200, im not sure if I'd get another Leatherman Tread.... or even reccomend anyone parts with the money for one.  The only actual, functional difference I have noticed is the lack of a carbon insert for the Scriber.

For me personally, I think the Tread is too gimmicky to use at all.  I wasn't interested in it until I realized it's being discontinued it... then I remembered how hard it was to find a discontinued (and very mediocre) Leatherman flashlight.  I didn't want to go through the same thing a few years from now when I am sure to decide I finally want a Tread.  :rofl:  As a piece of "man jewelry", it's a pretty attractive watch. I'll probably wear it someday, but I wouldn't want to scratch it using it as intended.  Damn, maybe I need to buy another one now.  Haha

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 02:38:54 AM
I have a whole section of my knife/tool collection full of items that I only bought because they were discontinued!

Many of them I looked at multiple times previously, deciding it wasn't for me, but as soon as I found out it was discontinued, I couldn't buy them fast enough.   :facepalm:

Def

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 03:18:40 AM
I have a whole section of my knife/tool collection full of items that I only bought because they were discontinued!

Many of them I looked at multiple times previously, deciding it wasn't for me, but as soon as I found out it was discontinued, I couldn't buy them fast enough.   :facepalm:

Def

It's like you're describing me!   :rofl:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 04:29:08 AM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 07:24:12 AM
Too late for me. I saw this over on Facebook and decided to order one a while back. Suppose to arrive by Wednesday...if it ever will. I am having nothing but bad luck with China shipments.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69