Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Forester, different logos?

be Offline PeterVdH

• fan of the Wenger Ranger series
Victorinox Forester, different logos?
on: February 17, 2021, 12:33:41 PM
Hello all,

I recently bought 4 Victorinox knives (it was a bargain). They all have the same tools and side locking. I think the name of the knife is forester?
What amazes me are the four different Victorinox logos.
The knives have the same stamp on the blade: "Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei", but on the other side one knife (the one on the right) has the stamp: "Pat. Pend. MOD. DEP."

Does anyone have more info about the differences in the logo?

Thanks,
IMG_5144.JPG
* IMG_5144.JPG (Filesize: 113.69 KB)
IMG_5146.JPG
* IMG_5146.JPG (Filesize: 94.02 KB)
IMG_5147.JPG
* IMG_5147.JPG (Filesize: 63.24 KB)
IMG_5149.JPG
* IMG_5149.JPG (Filesize: 94.09 KB)

ca Offline Tinner

Re: Victorinox Forester, different logos?
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 01:42:58 PM
I have the same knife and mistakenly thought it was the Forester due to the toolset. SAKwiki set me straight. It is the Rucksack. Same tools but they changed the name when they removed the sidelock and went to a liner lock. I am not well enough versed in Viclore to know the difference in the shields, sorry.

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 03:47:34 PM
Does anyone have more info about the differences in the logo?
You can find some information at SAKhome.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:17:42 AM
I have the same knife and mistakenly thought it was the Forester due to the toolset. SAKwiki set me straight. It is the Rucksack. Same tools but they changed the name when they removed the sidelock and went to a liner lock. I am not well enough versed in Viclore to know the difference in the shields, sorry.

I, too have a Rucksack! Got it from Lynn LeFay here on the forums. Good knife!. Mine lives in the center console of my truck. Dont know which symbol I have on it. I'll have to check tomorrow morning before I head to work

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:20:40 AM
The other thing you will notice is, the secondary tools such as the bottle opener and can opener, are slightly smaller and less thick on these Rucksacks than on the newer version (i.e. the Trekker). They  embiggened the tools and made them more robust when they got rid of the slide lock, added the frame lock, and changed the name to Forester and Trekker

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:57:47 AM
Mine has the same shield as the one on the very righthand side of Peters picture, althought pretty faded these days. Blade has “patented” on it. I really like the sidelock and it is why I bought the Rucksack way back when. I have a newer 111 with the liner lock and can’t get used to it being backwards. Opposite of the natural mechanics of the hand to to pull the lock and maintain control of the knife one handed unless in the left hand. I’m a lefty but do everything righthanded eccept write. 

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 04:42:50 AM
The other thing you will notice is, the secondary tools such as the bottle opener and can opener, are slightly smaller and less thick on these Rucksacks than on the newer version (i.e. the Trekker). They  embiggened the tools and made them more robust when they got rid of the slide lock, added the frame lock, and changed the name to Forester and Trekker

Oooooo I like embiggened things!  :tu:

I have a Hunter of the same time period. It has the serrated small gutting blade, main blade, saw blade, and combination opener. It does not have a deer head on it. It has logo number 2 on it.

Now don't blame me if I'm wrong, but I believe somebody else on this forum stated that the logo on the left in your picture (3-pointed shield) is for the Economy version of some of the Victorinox models, which were made with cheaper features. For some models, that meant no toothpick and tweezers.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

be Offline PeterVdH

• fan of the Wenger Ranger series
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 05:28:05 PM
Thanks for the info!

Now don't blame me if I'm wrong, but I believe somebody else on this forum stated that the logo on the left in your picture (3-pointed shield) is for the Economy version of some of the Victorinox models, which were made with cheaper features. For some models, that meant no toothpick and tweezers.

However, I don't see any differences in quality between the knives I have....

I suppose the knife with the stamp: "Pat. Pend. MOD. DEP." is the oldest of the four?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:44:07 PM by PeterVdH »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:41:36 PM
No quality difference. Just scale materials and ways of applying the logo.
And indeed sometimes without scale tools.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:11 AM
Oooooo I like embiggened things!  :tu:

I have a Hunter of the same time period. It has the serrated small gutting blade, main blade, saw blade, and combination opener. It does not have a deer head on it. It has logo number 2 on it.

Also, the economy versions in general had a slightly different scale / handle material. Instead of a slick, hardened cellidor it was some other type of nylon that would "gouge" instead of crack and shatter if dropped.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%