Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Urban vs Rural Carry

us Offline Steelej1976

Urban vs Rural Carry
on: February 18, 2021, 12:13:47 AM
I'm not sure how to ask this question because I don't want to cause a Corkscrew/Phillips debate but I can't understand why anyone would choose a Hiker over a Camper or a Fieldmaster over a Huntsman for a Rural (in the woods)? 

It is highly unlikely I am going to run into screws in the woods but knotted wet boot laces I will almost certainly encounter.  I carry my Tinker/Rambler combo in the city but if I am going fishing the Huntsman goes in my Pocket.  What do you guys think?

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Re: Urban vs Rural Carry
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 12:23:27 AM
There is definitely camping gear out there that uses Phillips screws. I personally prefer the corkscrew to the backside Phillips, but I mostly carry tools with no backside implements these days, and that seems to work fine, too.

This is definitely one of those situations in which there is no objectively correct answer.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:28:58 AM
what's wrong with a Corkscrew v. Phillips debate this week?   :pok:

I'm a Corkscrew guy myself... but I've really taken to the Trekker.   Though it serves no real advantage because I have never encountered a Philips in the woods.., there's a purely aesthetic "sleekness" of a Phillips on the back. Same goes for the Hiker over the Camper. 

If I couldn't choose neither one (intended), I can see how the Phillips is almost the option of non-decision. 

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 12:44:30 AM
Urban vs. Rural carry for me usually comes down to whether or not to carry a SAK with a saw.   :dunno:
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:51:16 AM
Urban vs. Rural carry for me usually comes down to whether or not to carry a SAK with a saw.   :dunno:

Along the same lines.. for the longest time, it was whether or not I should have scissors.  I'd avoided them for rural carry until I started EDC'ing a Pioneer X.  Otherwise...A Soldier/Pioneer or Trekker would do for rural areas. 

Backwards, I know.... but what you don't have is often just as important as what you do have. 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 12:51:52 AM
I personally prefer the corkscrew over the Phillips as well.

One argument I have heard in favor of the Phillips is that it is more comfortable in hand during extended use than the corkscrew.

Going slightly OT, I've carried a Farmer X and a Myerchin BF300 the last couple of times I've gone camping, and I'm really liking the combo.  The Myerchin gives me the speed and convenience of a pocket clip and OHO for those quick cutting jobs, as well as an honest-to-goodness marlin spike for paracord/rope/boot laces.  The Farmer handled everything else, including a critical save with the can opener when the regular mess kit can opener couldn't be found.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:13:57 AM

Agreed. Scissors vs Wood Saw is the more important debate with regards to Urban vs Rural, in my mind. Although I like a good Corkscrew vs Philip's debate.

As another person said, I too prefer the sleek Philip's instead of the hotspot corkscrew.

Dont get me started on that hook.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:11 AM
Agreed. Scissors vs Wood Saw is the more important debate with regards to Urban vs Rural, in my mind. Although I like a good Corkscrew vs Philip's debate.

As another person said, I too prefer the sleek Philip's instead of the hotspot corkscrew.

what hook?

:whistle:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 01:22:13 AM
...Ummmm...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 01:26:54 AM
Just so happens the SAKs I like for outdoor adventures have corkscrew so no issues there.  I like my Swisschamp and Champion for outdoors.  I also recently picked up a Ranger that worked well for a short trip I took. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Tet

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 01:41:07 AM
Where I live I'm pretty deep in the country, but when I go even deeper it's usually for recreation (picnic, camping, bike ride, etc.).  If my wife is with me and we're relaxing, the corkscrew is the most important part of the SAK!  And if she's not I can't stand the thought that a bottle of wine might have to go unopened!  Even in the city I like to be prepared for unexpected wine to come out.  Even if I haven't had a glass for a few years....for sure I like a saw in the woods.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 01:42:08 AM
On the topic of saw, yes for sure and scissors too for that matter  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Urban vs Rural Carry
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 01:51:37 AM

This is exactly what I was thinking.  The saw vs no saw when it comes to rural vs urban seems much more obvious to me.  Why would anyone carry a hiker or camper in the city instead of say a Climber or Super Tinker.  Or why a Huntsman instead of a Mountaineer or Deluxe Tinker if going 4 layers?  I like the saw for a rural environment, but see it as unnecessary in the city.  This is especially true if choosing only 3 layers, in an urban environment scissors are much more useful than a saw.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 02:01:23 AM
I personally prefer the corkscrew over the Phillips as well.

One argument I have heard in favor of the Phillips is that it is more comfortable in hand during extended use than the corkscrew.

Going slightly OT, I've carried a Farmer X and a Myerchin BF300 the last couple of times I've gone camping, and I'm really liking the combo.  The Myerchin gives me the speed and convenience of a pocket clip and OHO for those quick cutting jobs, as well as an honest-to-goodness marlin spike for paracord/rope/boot laces.  The Farmer handled everything else, including a critical save with the can opener when the regular mess kit can opener couldn't be found.
Agree, the Farmer X is a nice tool for rural areas, especially if considering camping or hiking.  The slightly thicker tools, aluminum scales which are grippier and more resistant to the environment (like bug spray, camp fuel, or camp fire).  Your idea of marlin spike is right on target, but I have also used the reamer for undoing a knot as well.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 02:08:35 AM
This is exactly what I was thinking.  The saw vs no saw when it comes to rural vs urban seems much more obvious to me.  Why would anyone carry a hiker or camper in the city instead of say a Climber or Super Tinker.  Or why a Huntsman instead of a Mountaineer or Deluxe Tinker if going 4 layers?  I like the saw for a rural environment, but see it as unnecessary in the city.  This is especially true if choosing only 3 layers, in an urban environment scissors are much more useful than a saw.
I am curious. What are you using the metal saw/file for in an urban setting? I use mine sometimes in the shop to clean up cuts on plastic pipes and something like that, but I have never used it outside the house/shop environment.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 02:41:35 AM
I am curious. What are you using the metal saw/file for in an urban setting? I use mine sometimes in the shop to clean up cuts on plastic pipes and something like that, but I have never used it outside the house/shop environment.
I have used it a few times to smooth out a rough spot on a bench, table or fence.  I remember using it one time on a rough spot on the railing on playground equipment.  A child got a small cut from it.  He showed me where it was and I used the file to smooth it out.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 02:44:26 AM
Both saws are useful for many kinds of plastics, and plastics are everywhere. Of course, your mileage may vary. Many people never need either saw at all.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 02:47:31 AM
I have used it a few times to smooth out a rough spot on a bench, table or fence.  I remember using it one time on a rough spot on the railing on playground equipment.  A child got a small cut from it.  He showed me where it was and I used the file to smooth it out.

Interesting uses, thanks  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 05:18:54 AM
I'm not sure how to ask this question because I don't want to cause a Corkscrew/Phillips debate but I can't understand why anyone would choose a Hiker over a Camper or a Fieldmaster over a Huntsman for a Rural (in the woods)? 
I’d still drive a vehicle to get to the woods. So I’d still see choosing a Firldmaster over the Huntsman.

It is highly unlikely I am going to run into screws in the woods but knotted wet boot laces I will almost certainly encounter.  I carry my Tinker/Rambler combo in the city but if I am going fishing the Huntsman goes in my Pocket.  What do you guys think?

I see it more as scissors are required...but which saw do I want. And if I can’t decide, better have them both. Push come to shove in layer reduction, and I choose the metal saw. It can cut wood, even if a pain to do so. And even worse to clean afterwards if it was anything green.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 07:40:43 AM
I don't differentiate between rural and urban carry. I've simplified the whole decision process by carrying the same knife most of the time.  I prefer an inline Phillips to a backside Phillips and I like having both a saw and a scissors, so when I'm not in a challenge I usually carry the Swiss Champ.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 08:39:26 AM
I have the phillips covered with the can opener if I should need it but I use the corkscrew a lot with knots due to weak fingers (disability). Of course simply take an Outrider and you're pretty much covered for almost anything outdoors.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 03:25:10 PM
For those of us who work outside in a rural environment, on machinery AND wood, my holy grail toolset is a woodsaw, metal saw, phillips, and pliers in addition to standard knife layer and opener layer. Don't give a rip about any corkscrew....I've used it as a marlin spike but the backside phillips does fine for that too in most cases. Not the reamer, as that can cut your cordage instead of prying it open. But I do use the reamer for awl kinds of things too, and it is very useful and I would hate to be without it. Scissors are not at the top of my list, but they have plenty of uses in a rural setting as well.

For now my Ranger covers most of the bases, until I get something better.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

be Offline PeterVdH

• fan of the Wenger Ranger series
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 05:59:20 PM

For now my Ranger covers most of the bases, until I get something better.

:2tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 06:27:09 PM
I don't differentiate between rural and urban carry. I've simplified the whole decision process by carrying the same knife most of the time.  I prefer an inline Phillips to a backside Phillips and I like having both a saw and a scissors, so when I'm not in a challenge I usually carry the Swiss Champ.

+1 on the same EDC for city and country.

I have the phillips covered with the can opener if I should need it but I use the corkscrew a lot with knots due to weak fingers (disability). Of course simply take an Outrider and you're pretty much covered for almost anything outdoors.

+1 for having an extra tool, the opening layer takes care of screws. Not to mention the back puilips driver is not very practical to use.

But hey, that's just me (and a few others here).

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 06:51:07 PM
:iagree:

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 10:52:43 PM
+1 on the same EDC for city and country.

:cheers: :tu:

I've awlways wanted to get there.  I'm a monogamist at heart. 
In the beginning, I carried a Champion on my outdoor adventures, but rarely carried it in town - those were the days of folders and Leatherman.
For the next decade it was a Soldier.... the blade was good enough for what I needed, and I hadn't been trained in the Immler Method of Sawing (IMS). 

Then - I get hooked on the scissors, but still used the Soldier as my primary SAK in the woods... that didn't quite sit well with me....

So, one Trekker and one Pioneer X later :ahhh  I'm awlways torn and twisted.   The Pioneer X would suffice for both had I not discovered the IMS.

I know I can settle on a Huntsman, but It's oversized for 90% of what I need day to day. 

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 02:46:37 AM
Amici,
There was a time in these many years of my SAK EDC carry that I hated and despised the corkscrew, I mean I really, really, REALLY  hated it. But as one becomes older, we become wiser, this is due to experience, and I soon realized that the Craftsman that i cherished so much as my EDC, was sorely lacking when I needed a Phillips driver for most situations. Also, being in the back just wasn't cutting it (no pun intended) either, which I will attempt to explain. So after years of being anti corkscrew and preferring the Craftsman, I decided to shelf it, and proceeded to carry either a Champ, or its nemesis, the Champion. This for 3 reasons, 1-I prefer the big tools, since I live the old EDC/tool adage of, "I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it". 2-The Phillips driver being mounted on the rear spring, is just inpractical in use, compared to the standard used on the Champ or the Champion. If your dealing with a screw that's in a position where you can "T" torque it tight or loose, that's fine, but how often is that?   95% of the time, you need your driver to act like well..., like a Phillips screwdriver, so that's my reason # 2. 3-As I mentioned earlier how much I hated the corkscrew, as compared to the rear Phillips? Well that's when I found out that the corkscrew has two really useful purposes. 1-To carry that tiny eyeglass screwdriver, and 2- here's the biggie.. One word, KNOTS... That implement devised for us, "O solo mio" partakers of vino soon discovered that when not in use pulling cork grape stoppers, comes in very handy undoing knots and other wardrobe malfunctions.. So there you have it, I hope my rant proved to be entertaining and filled with enlightenment, as it was for me to write it..

Cheers,
Serge
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:53:22 AM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 03:09:32 AM
Amici,
There was a time ...... So there you have it, I hope my rant proved to be entertaining and filled with enlightenment, as it was for me to write it..

Cheers,
Serge

It certainly was! I read the whole thing.  :D
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 08:52:27 AM
 :iagree: :like: :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 02:35:53 PM
So, one Trekker and one Pioneer X later :ahhh  I'm awlways torn and twisted.   The Pioneer X would suffice for both had I not discovered the IMS.

I know I can settle on a Huntsman, but It's oversized for 90% of what I need day to day.

I kind of like having the saw when hiking or camping "just in case", but I don't think I've ever actually used it.  Though folding saws are popular today, thinking back to Nessmuk (and his contemporaries and predecessors), I don't believe a saw was part of the gear they typically carried.  I welcome a healthy debate, but I'll submit that, particularly if one carries a hatchet/small axe or a fixed blade "bushcraft" knife (capable of light chopping and splitting duties), that having a saw in the woods just isn't that critical.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%