Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Impressions - Cold Steel Lucky Two

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
First Impressions - Cold Steel Lucky Two
on: February 18, 2021, 01:21:19 AM
First impressions of the Cold Steel Lucky Two are excellent.  For about $70, one gets two decent blades in CPM-S35VN.  The carbon fiber handle slabs, sans liners or bolsters, make for a very light package.  The pocket clip, in addition to the obvious function, provides an index/indication of whether one is about to open the PE or SE blade.  I would rate the pull as on the lighter side (which I personally don't mind at all), as the blades can actually be pinched open, saving one's fingernails.

Fit and finish on my example of this Italian-made knife are good as well.  The only issue I have found is that one end of the SE blade's back spring sits slightly proud of the rest of the knife when the blade is closed, but this doesn't have any impact on function.

The modified spear point blades manage to have continuously curving edges and usable points, and my example was very sharp right out of the box.

If anyone is looking for a modern slip joint with higher end materials for a reasonable price, I don't believe they would be disappointed in the Lucky Two.

csl1.jpg
* csl1.jpg (Filesize: 101.52 KB)
csl2.jpg
* csl2.jpg (Filesize: 95.07 KB)
csl5.jpg
* csl5.jpg (Filesize: 87.91 KB)
csl4.jpg
* csl4.jpg (Filesize: 86.97 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: First Impressions - Cold Steel Lucky Two
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 01:23:36 AM
Last picture shows the Lucky Two with a Victorinox Pioneer X for scale...
csl3.jpg
* csl3.jpg (Filesize: 131.6 KB)
csl6.jpg
* csl6.jpg (Filesize: 130.55 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 01:39:02 AM
Nice knife !    :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:48:04 AM
That sure looks the business.  Nice steel and very cool it has both fully serrated and PE blades. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 02:10:57 AM
I like that :tu:
Barry

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 03:42:57 AM
Nice knife. Cold Steels interpretation of the Muskrat.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:12:54 AM
Thanks guys!

Here's one more pic that I took earlier but forgot to post...
csl7.jpg
* csl7.jpg (Filesize: 78.33 KB)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 08:43:31 AM
I've liked the idea of this knife for ages but the plain edge blade gets me. Just a bit too short and the sabre grind. If it wasn't for that I'd have bought one years ago. If all I needed was a little pocket penknife I'd choose this in a shot. As I use the knife for food, it's not quite there.  It is interesting that CS discontinued the single blade version of this.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:51:53 AM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:46:45 PM
I've liked the idea of this knife for ages but the plain edge blade gets me. Just a bit too short and the sabre grind. If it wasn't for that I'd have bought one years ago. If all I needed was a little pocket penknife I'd choose this in a shot. As I use the knife for food, it's not quite there.  It is interesting that CS discontinued the single blade version of this.

What's your go-to knife for food?

To me, choosing a two-blade version over a single-blade version is a no-brainer.  Typically, one gets double the blades for modest increases in cost, weight, and size.  Having two blades allows for a "dirty" blade and a "clean" blade, or if one prefers, going twice as long between sharpening.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 05:51:00 PM
What's your go-to knife for food?

To me, choosing a two-blade version over a single-blade version is a no-brainer.  Typically, one gets double the blades for modest increases in cost, weight, and size.  Having two blades allows for a "dirty" blade and a "clean" blade, or if one prefers, going twice as long between sharpening.

My carry is a SAK Spartan (91mm), the main blade is just big enough for apples (my benchmark) and as you mention, my small blade is used for all the dirty stuff.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 10:56:33 PM
My carry is a SAK Spartan (91mm), the main blade is just big enough for apples (my benchmark) and as you mention, my small blade is used for all the dirty stuff.

FWIW, the Vic 91 mm main blade has a slightly longer tang than the Lucky Two (by perhaps 1/8").  However, as nearly as I can measure with a ruler, both the knives measure 2 5/16" or 58 mm from tip to end of the sharp edge just in front of the choil.  The Vic 91 mm choil is also slightly longer than the Lucky Two's choil.

csl8.jpg
* csl8.jpg (Filesize: 97.02 KB)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 05:54:02 PM
FWIW, the Vic 91 mm main blade has a slightly longer tang than the Lucky Two (by perhaps 1/8").  However, as nearly as I can measure with a ruler, both the knives measure 2 5/16" or 58 mm from tip to end of the sharp edge just in front of the choil.  The Vic 91 mm choil is also slightly longer than the Lucky Two's choil.

OK, just got to fix the sabre grind then :)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 11:33:56 PM
First impressions of the Cold Steel Lucky Two are excellent. 

Very nice nate! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 02:42:45 PM
Very nice nate! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks!  I've been carrying it lately, and the PE blade does a great job trimming cigars.   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%