Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you put an Alox 93 main blade in a 91mm body?

us Offline DavZell

Can you put an Alox 93 main blade in a 91mm body?
on: February 18, 2021, 02:14:36 AM
As the title says, can you put an Alox 93 main blade in a 91mm body?

Thanks!
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Re: Can you put an Alox 93 main blade in a 91mm body?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 04:46:47 AM
As the title says, can you put an Alox 93 main blade in a 91mm body?

Thanks!

I don't know, but I have a feeling you're about to try it!  :D

Let us know how it goes.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 05:09:48 AM
I'm not a modder myself, but I'm foreseeing a couple of issues that would need to be overcome:
  • The 93mm main blade is longer than the 91mm main blade.
  • The 93mm blade is thicker than the 91mm blade.
  • The pin size on 93mm knives is larger than the pin size on 91mm knives.

I see you've cross-posted this in The Mod Squad sub-forum, which I think was wise.

May I ask what the ultimate goal of getting a 93mm main blade in a 91mm body would be?  Yes, the 93mm main blade is a bit longer and thicker than it's 91mm counterpart, but the function is basically the same.  And, if that extra beefiness is important to you, why not go with a 93mm frame?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
I'm guessing because ALOX knives don't have backside tools, and he wants them, my preciousss, he wants them....must have them....

(That's been my biggest beef with Alox all along)....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:18:14 PM
I'm guessing because ALOX knives don't have backside tools, and he wants them, my preciousss, he wants them....must have them....

(That's been my biggest beef with Alox all along)....

That was my thought too. Or the ability to easily have the small blade in a package with a beefier main blade which would be my choice if I could.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 04:24:21 PM
Yes, the 93 mm main blade is beefier, which inspires a bit more confidence.  We can posit laboratory tests and theoretical limits-pushing situations where that extra bit of strength might make a difference, but I'm having trouble coming up with a real world example of a task where the 93 mm main blade would succeed but the 91 mm main blade would fail.

IMO, the alox scales are the biggest advantage of the 93 mm line over the 91 mm line.  The resistance of the alox scales to physical, chemical, and thermal damage is significantly better than cellidor.

The biggest disadvantage of 93 mm, as Jim points out, is that tool selection is quite limited vs. the 91 mm line.

I also appreciate the improved corrosion resistance and hardness of the nickel silver pins and liners of the 93 mm knives vs. the brass of the 91 mm knives, though I'm not sure how much practical difference this makes.

The stouter tools are a nice bonus of the 93 mm line, but not the most significant advantage IMO.  And, to the extent they are an advantage, the biggest benefit is probably the heavier cap lifter tool for prying and for stubborn screws, not the main blade.

I do hope the OP comes back and explains a bit more.  It may be that the solution to the problem is something different entirely.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:43:56 PM
Don't forget a wider backspring would be required too, which would have to be custom made unless one from a wider layer (like mag/philips) could be used.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 07:44:23 PM
OP here.  I was thinking about this because of the heftier blade, while still enjoying the overall toolset that 91mm offers.  Regarding the *actual* physical benefit of the heftier blade, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.  However, before falling down the SAK hole a few months ago, my EDC was a Kershaw Leek that I loved.  That blade just inspired more confidence, even though I don't really push my blades that hard.  I am thinking I might regain some of that feeling.

About the pivot sizes, I figure there may be two options.  One is to enlarge all the pivots on that side of the knife, which I am anathema to do.  The second would be to fill the existing hole and drill a new one.  I think I have seen people fill them with both bushings (solid, I guess - I'd have to track down the old info) and by filling it with a weld/braze/solder/whatever.  I don't have the gear/skill for the latter.  I really wonder how JB Weld would hold up, probably roughing the hole up first (ouch?!).

Now, the length could be addressed by a little grinding if necessary.

One constant challenge is that I have some physical challenges from 30+ years of Lyme disease, so fine motor skills can be a real challenge.  If you saw my Pocket Workshop mod, I messed up a lot of pieces while making that, but 58mm parts are plentiful and cheap in comparison.  Alox blades, not so much.  So I really want to figure out my solution before buying anything.  SS Disability only goes so far! LOL!  Luckily, my wife is tolerant and supportive!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 08:36:11 PM
Spring width...

Offline Cleanser

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:16:26 PM
You might consider putting a Spyderco blade in. It wouldn’t be thicker but may feel more sturdy since it has more height and could be a more premium steel. You can find examples on the web.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 11:08:43 PM
OP here.  I was thinking about this because of the heftier blade, while still enjoying the overall toolset that 91mm offers.  Regarding the *actual* physical benefit of the heftier blade, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.  However, before falling down the SAK hole a few months ago, my EDC was a Kershaw Leek that I loved.  That blade just inspired more confidence, even though I don't really push my blades that hard.  I am thinking I might regain some of that feeling.

About the pivot sizes, I figure there may be two options.  One is to enlarge all the pivots on that side of the knife, which I am anathema to do.  The second would be to fill the existing hole and drill a new one.  I think I have seen people fill them with both bushings (solid, I guess - I'd have to track down the old info) and by filling it with a weld/braze/solder/whatever.  I don't have the gear/skill for the latter.  I really wonder how JB Weld would hold up, probably roughing the hole up first (ouch?!).

Now, the length could be addressed by a little grinding if necessary.

One constant challenge is that I have some physical challenges from 30+ years of Lyme disease, so fine motor skills can be a real challenge.  If you saw my Pocket Workshop mod, I messed up a lot of pieces while making that, but 58mm parts are plentiful and cheap in comparison.  Alox blades, not so much.  So I really want to figure out my solution before buying anything.  SS Disability only goes so far! LOL!  Luckily, my wife is tolerant and supportive!

To be perfectly frank (not trying to be jerk here, just trying to save you some trouble and expense), you're considering what is going to be a fairly challenging mod for no real benefit.  I've been carrying primarily 91 mm SAKs for nearly 25 years, and my experience is that the main blade of a 91 mm SAK will handle any cutting task that might reasonably be expected of a folding knife in its size range.

As an aside, virtually every broken or damaged knife blade that I have seen or heard about has been due to using the knife blade in place of another tool, e.g. screwdriver, pry bar, axe, wire cutters, etc.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 11:54:43 PM
Spring width...

No need to be a Smurf about your ‘help’. An appropriate ‘vintage’ spring would work.  ::)

It’s possible...even using the full blade, but on top the issues already noted, would require changing the round of the tang too. Removal of material from the adjacent liner and ‘bird head’ spacer would be needed for the full length/unmodified blade.

More effort than it’s worth, IMO. But still possible. And may not even ‘need’ the 3mm hole to be bushed.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 07:05:28 AM
Edit:

Since Dav was reflecting on all answers apart from one, I simply rewrote 2 words since I didn't feel like rewriting something that can be read on the same page.

I'm sorry if it came across as offensive to anyone; but assuming I'm acting like a smurf without asking for any form of guidance to the comment isn't much better either.

And saying I'm wrong and instantly adding he needs a different backspring isn't really consistent with your own words.

I'm leaving it at this now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:41:35 AM by Mechanickal »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 07:24:44 AM
Edit:

Never mind.

Ignore...

Hope you'll do the same with my posts from now on.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:39:52 AM by Mechanickal »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 08:23:16 AM
Spring width is just the easiest problem to solve in this case. I didn’t mean to encourage discussion on the matter.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 04:02:01 PM
I may be kind of new here, but I do think Smurf-calling should be reserved for times when it really applies, and I didn't think it did this time. I didn't think Mechanickal's post was smurfworthy, I understood exactly what he was getting at, and I think any disagreements with the content or meaning of his post could have been resolved more friendlyly. As far as for giving a short two-word answer, I think Mechanickal is just more efficient than I am. I need to work on boiling down what I'm trying to say to just a few words, also, as it saves time and space.  :-\

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 05:26:06 PM
Repeating that answer a second time, as if to drop the ‘stupid hammer’ on the previous post was the Smurfy part. Just a big ‘I already told you so’.

I wouldn’t have even commented if that was the most important issue to solve. And it’s not like the width issue couldn’t be solved with (unsightly) spacers too.

:dunno:

us Offline DavZell

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 05:32:06 PM
Thanks, everyone!  Let's call it a day on this one.  It's Friday - let's all throw back an apple juice or whatever makes you happy, and play with or SAFTs (Swiss Army Fidget Toys).  Personally, my apple juice may smell like bourbon... cheers!

:drink: :climber:

David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99