Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Different Fisherman?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Different Fisherman?
on: February 18, 2021, 03:38:41 PM
I'm not providing a photo until I see whether I win the auction. But I'm bidding on a Fisherman (?) that does not appear to be a standard Fisherman or Angler.

From everything I can see in the pictures, this 91 has 4 layers, Fish scales (haha, but yes of course), a corkscrew, scissors, and (evidently) a fish scaler. The tools are not pulled out in the pictures so I can't see them accurately other than the cork screw. By now I know what scissors look like. Pliers would be thicker--it's almost certainly a scissors layer and not pliers. That which I assume is a fish scaler could probably be a woodsaw instead, if for instance, somebody slapped fish scales onto a Huntsman and called it good.

If I win the auction and get it home, I'll be able to show you some good pictures. For now, I'll have to wait. (Not to be jealous, but I don't want to link to the auction because I really hope to win it).  >:D
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Different Fisherman?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:58:32 PM
Hope you get it!

:cheers: :tu:

Knowing the way MToers are, if you'd post it here and someone else was bidding on it, they'd probably stand down and let you have it.

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:36:01 PM
From your description it sounds like an original model Angler. The original Angler was identical to the current Fisherman except it had a corkscrew instead of the philips.  That changed in the mid 90s when the Angler was updated to have pliers instead of scissors.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 04:43:56 PM
I really hope to win it).  >:D
You have one less competitor as I'm not bidding on any Fisherman at this time and I wholeheartedly hope you win it!  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:56:54 PM
You have one less competitor as I'm not bidding on any Fisherman at this time and I wholeheartedly hope you win it!  :cheers:

See?! Told ya!

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 06:17:24 PM
I don’t want it either, but it looks ‘84 to me. Good luck bidding!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 11:40:56 PM
 :popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 01:31:20 AM
Ok, I won it.....

Let me see if I can resize the picture. Probably it is as you say, and it is an early model Angler.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 02:00:03 AM by Jim the Brave »
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 01:35:40 AM
Ok, I won it.....

Let me see if I can resize the picture. Probably it is as you say, and it is an early model Angler.

So, can somebody update the WIKI page to talk about it? I don't think I saw it mentioned there in this configuration.

Yeah, the Fish-related models could use some fixin’ in the Wiki...but there isn’t consensus on exactly what needs to be fixed.

Interested in the pic. Maybe I wasn’t looking at the right auction.  :D
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 02:02:35 AM
Ok, I actually found reference to it under the Angler designation. So this would be an older Angler.
Hopefully we can figure out when the cutoff was for the scissors.

See if this link works to view the original listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Swiss-Army-knives-by-Victorinox-for-parts-or-repair-/373459339684?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=CBwLNQvt1yGOgtwbOOwEnM%252FX8ng%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 03:28:59 AM
That’s also early ‘80s, and not the same one I saw.

Post pics when it arrives...and congrats on winning the auction.   :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 03:52:48 AM
Before I get asked what needs fixin...

^This version of the Angler late ‘60s - early ‘70s predates the “original” Angler from the ‘80s:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 04:54:43 AM
So, instead of having Ebay send the package to me, I had them send it to my dear old dad. I haven't told him to expect it....

However, he may browse on here, since I gave him the link to this site.  :D

Anyhow, I sent him some SAK's (broken ones) a month or so ago and he's hooked. These 7 additional broken ones will keep him busy. Unlike me, he's an avid tinkerer (you might even call him a deluxe tinkerer) and although he always liked Camillus knives, he had never gotten into SAK's before. As a machinist, he definitely knows how to take them apart and put them back together again. I knew it would be better to send him broken ones than good ones, because he gets more enjoyment out of taking apart and fixing things that are not supposed to be taken apart and fixed, than by using something that isn't broken in the first place.

Anyway, when he get them, I'll have him send me pictures of the Angler opened up.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 04:58:11 AM
Before I get asked what needs fixin...

(Image removed from quote.)

^This version of the Angler late ‘60s - early ‘70s predates the “original” Angler from the ‘80s:

Thanks---

Wait---

It had a metal file, too??????  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh

And what's that President thing, and how does it differ from a Spartan?  ???  :o  :think:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 05:00:02 AM
That ad also solves another mystery for me....it states the "fish" is a seahorse. Well that explains why I never thought it looked much like any kind of regular fish.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 06:17:00 AM
Thanks---

Wait---

And what's that President thing, and how does it differ from a Spartan?  ???  :o  :think:

:rofl:

Well, when you got some time to waste, go look through the catalog section of the Wiki. Lots of re-use of names over the years. And lots of ‘mis-use’ of the casual designation of ‘original’ variants that are often the 2nd version. Some names assigned to models that were never officially associated.  :-\

No worries about the pictures. Maybe your Dad will have it apart before he has a chance to take pics.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 06:31:27 AM

It has scissors. Thus it's what we'd now call a Climber.

To expand on kamakiri's post:

Victorinox only standardized model names during the 70s. Some were dropped; others were recycled for later or different models. E.g. what Vic now calls the Spartan was once called the Camper (in the US anyway, as far as I know).

Names, I believe (would love to be corrected if I'm wrong!), were first used in the US or North America in general by the Vic distributor. A great marketing move! Imagine this forum with only model names mentioned.  :ahhh

Before names came along, each model was known only by its number. Model numbers are still used today, of course. They're more precise when it comes to variations within models. Model numbers are like Latin names in biology.

Here's the Wiki page on the Champion. It kept its name over many years but went through several model numbers as the toolset changed.
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Champion
Rambler

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 11:44:00 AM
Anyhow, I sent him some SAK's (broken ones) a month or so ago and he's hooked. These 7 additional broken ones will keep him busy. Unlike me, he's an avid tinkerer (you might even call him a deluxe tinkerer) and although he always liked Camillus knives, he had never gotten into SAK's before. As a machinist, he definitely knows how to take them apart and put them back together again. I knew it would be better to send him broken ones than good ones, because he gets more enjoyment out of taking apart and fixing things that are not supposed to be taken apart and fixed, than by using something that isn't broken in the first place.

That's a great story!  :cheers:  If my attempts at modding don't work, can I give him a call?  :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 01:38:08 PM
Thanks---

Wait---

Yup, the President became a Climber and the Companion became an Executive.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 01:39:10 PM

To expand on kamakiri's post:

Victorinox only standardized model names during the 70s. Some were dropped; others were recycled for later or different models. E.g. what Vic now calls the Spartan was once called the Camper (in the US anyway, as far as I know).

Names, I believe (would love to be corrected if I'm wrong!), were first used in the US or North America in general by the Vic distributor. A great marketing move! Imagine this forum with only model names numbers/codes mentioned.  :ahhh

Before names came along, each model was known only by its number. Model numbers are still used today, of course. They're more precise when it comes to variations within models. Model numbers are like Latin names in biology.

Here's the Wiki page on the Champion. It kept its name over many years but went through several model numbers as the toolset changed.
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Champion

FTFY

:salute: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 04:11:11 PM
:rofl:
No worries about the pictures. Maybe your Dad will have it apart before he has a chance to take pics.

That's a distinct possibility!

That's a great story!  :cheers:  If my attempts at modding don't work, can I give him a call?  :rofl:

Hee hee well, as soon as it becomes a job and not a hobby, he loses interest! (He's retired, and doing work of this nature for people he doesn't know puts a level of stress into it that he'd rather avoid).

Yup, the President became a Climber and the Companion became an Executive.

8) 8)

That's quite a story, if they were people, not knives!

Doh! I knew that.  :D

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 07:17:22 PM
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:45 PM
That's quite a story, if they were people, not knives!

:rofl: :hatsoff:
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 11:56:57 PM
And if anybody was looking for another the other one I saw was Here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Vintage-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knives-Used-need-a-cleaning-Fishing-knives-/373458510483

Might have a tweaked small blade.  :dunno:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 12:46:56 AM
And if anybody was looking for another the other one I saw was Here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Vintage-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knives-Used-need-a-cleaning-Fishing-knives-/373458510483

Might have a tweaked small blade.  :dunno:

Oh my, that one is about to end! I'm gonna have to let it go to somebody else.

Here's another one, by the way, and notice you may make an offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393078655251?&ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

All 3 of these appear to be the old-style Angler with scissors....but this person calls it a Fisherman.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%