Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The absolute most smurvish of all knives

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
The absolute most smurvish of all knives
on: February 21, 2021, 07:51:31 PM
Ok, guys and gals, I gotta know.

In your opinion, what is "The Absolutely Most Smurvish Knife Of All Time" or TAMSKOAT?

Basicallly, the most nefarious, contrarious, insidious, hideous, worthless, hazardous, baneful, ungainly, fragile, perishable, faulty, fragile, ungrippable, dropworthy, shunworthy, unusable, regrettable knife out there?

(Particularly manufactured things--prototypes and one-off home-mades don't count).

:cheers:

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Re: The absolute most smurvish of all knives
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 11:10:54 PM

This was clearly made using the same pattern as Coghlan, but using low-grade cheesium.

oh my, yes. I wish there were an easy way to determine the grades of these things, as some on this pattern are clearly worse than others. I get them in my bulk lots. A lot. And sell them very cheaply as quick as possible.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:41:17 AM
A lot of Frost Cutlery's options. I've owned 5-6 over the years (mostly during my teenage years) that I actually used, and had lock failures within weeks. Of course, now, I avoid them like the plague (aside from a particular relative who keeps giving me them).

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 04:18:25 AM
oh my, yes. I wish there were an easy way to determine the grades of these things, as some on this pattern are clearly worse than others. I get them in my bulk lots. A lot. And sell them very cheaply as quick as possible.

I've never seen a great one, but their quality is definitely all over the place. My Coghlan one put up with a lot. Despite being the second-worst knife I have ever owned, it is my only shelf queen.

The worst I've personally owned is Campy, the Coghlan's Camping Tool. It did much, much, much worse than Coghlan.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:01:59 AM
I've never seen a great one, but their quality is definitely all over the place. My Coghlan one put up with a lot. Despite being the second-worst knife I have ever owned, it is my only shelf queen.
(Image removed from quote.)

The worst I've personally owned is Campy, the Coghlan's Camping Tool. It did much, much, much worse than Coghlan.

Yes, that's why I say some are worse than others, not some are better than others.  ;)

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 06:04:06 AM
A lot of Frost Cutlery's options. I've owned 5-6 over the years (mostly during my teenage years) that I actually used, and had lock failures within weeks. Of course, now, I avoid them like the plague (aside from a particular relative who keeps giving me them).

I get a bunch of them in, too. I haven't really test-driven them to see how they perform in the wild, but some of them definitely seem to be better made than others. I at least appreciate that they put their name on them, unlike dozens of the junk I get in that won't even so much as state that they're made in China, or anywhere else.  :dunno: I call those "Silent knives" because they don't say anything on them, no tang stamp, no MIC, no name, no stainless steel designation, nothing.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 06:07:19 PM
Would you believe I bought about 3 grand of Frost's things that resemble knives 10 years ago to sell at flea markets and I still have about a third of them.  I carried some variants without any problems. They felt sturdy and had a good snap and click when opening and or locking. Some were surprisingly good such as a 3 blade stockman with Uncle Lucky shield that's still in my trad rotation.  Then there were others where the locks wouldn't engage or the handles broke and they just felt poor quality.  I've thrown away dozens of them.

The absolute worst knives I've ever encountered, however, were the Chinese SAK alikes in all stainless (no scales) that were so dull you'd think they had gone through a blunting process during manufacturing, and they fell apart immediately if you tried to use them.  About as bad as the one in the video, but you don't even get a toothpick. I don't have any around to take any pictures of them.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 10:15:29 PM
Would you believe I bought about 3 grand of Frost's things that resemble knives 10 years ago to sell at flea markets and I still have about a third of them.  I carried some variants without any problems. They felt sturdy and had a good snap and click when opening and or locking. Some were surprisingly good such as a 3 blade stockman with Uncle Lucky shield that's still in my trad rotation.  Then there were others where the locks wouldn't engage or the handles broke and they just felt poor quality.  I've thrown away dozens of them.

The absolute worst knives I've ever encountered, however, were the Chinese SAK alikes in all stainless (no scales) that were so dull you'd think they had gone through a blunting process during manufacturing, and they fell apart immediately if you tried to use them.  About as bad as the one in the video, but you don't even get a toothpick. I don't have any around to take any pictures of them.

Alan, if you still have all those Frosties, I might just offer you something for the lot....PM me if interested....

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 12:00:41 AM
I am not proud of it, but I have a few Frost Cutlery knives new in box that I bought at the local pawn shop. they do not appear the be the worst I have seen...but not exactly high quality either.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21