Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just ordered a new cell phone.

Chako · 43 · 2505

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Just ordered a new cell phone.
on: February 24, 2021, 05:05:24 AM
My 2 year contract just ended on the 15th of February, and my cell phone provider offered a spanking good deal on a new Samsung S21. I just now have to wait for it to arrive my mail. my beloved LG G6 ThinQ is starting to have decreased battery power. Time to get something else.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Just ordered a new cell phone.
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 12:45:50 PM
A few months ago I had to replace my Samsung A8 as it randomly decided not to accept input from the screen.  That's a bit of an issue on a device with no hardware buttons.   :facepalm:

I tolerated this issue for the longest time because I was too cheap to get a new phone and I used my upgrade bonus to get Megan a new phone the year before. But after I was working nights and somebody came into the yard and I couldn't contact Megan or access our remote cameras I decided that was it and it was time for a new one.

I picked up the Samsung Note 20 Ultra and an Otterbox Defender to keep it in.  I was very disappointed to find that this version of the Defender didn't include a built in screen protector as previous versions did.  I had tonget separate screen protectors, but none seemed to really do the job, and now my screen has some scratches and pits, and I'm not happy about it.  I'm using it for now, but the minute I get anything more significant, it's going right back to Telus for a replacement screen since I pay for the insurance.

I love the phone itself.  Everyone comments on how big it is, but as I am currently in denial about needing glasses, I find the big screen quite beneficial.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 03:02:24 PM
I got the S20 Plus last year and am still very happy with it :tu: My last several phones have been Samsung and unless they screw up badly ::) I will likely continue to get them :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:59:51 PM
I've been Samsung for a long time- not because of any specific reason except those just happen to be what is mostly available here.

My first Droid was a Motorola Atrix and I really liked that one, until it got destroyed and the insurance bought me an S3.  The S3 only lasted about 6 months until I went to an S5, and that was replaced by the S5 Neo, then the A8 and now the Note.

I'd like to see more options, particularly from Motorola, since they are owned by Google.

Huawei is another one that is common here, but they don't have the best reputation in Canada.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 05:58:02 PM
I had to go with the Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2. Was really expensive, but they weren't making the KISS Kyocera DuraXE or Samsung Rugby series anymore, and I got tired of carrying around a tablet and using the phone's hotspot to check email; and I absolutely had to have a rugged phone.

Nothing beats a Samsung, in my opinion. Kyoceras are a close second in my use. LG depends on who they're making it for. Prepaid-offering phones, no matter who is making them are usually the cheapest smurf money can buy.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:51:09 PM
Still using my Samsumg S7,  will probably have to upgrade at some point but it's still working well.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:02:45 PM
I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro. Absolute pain that no charger is supplied.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 07:51:39 AM
My first phone was an LG 325 bar type phone. After that I migrated to a Samsung G3 which was a good phone. I then shied away from cell phones once that one died. When it was time to do get back into cellular phones, I went with an LG G5 simply because the battery was user replaceable. After my 2 year contract with Virgin was due, they gave me an LG G6 ThinQ even though it was a not that new model at the time...it was an upgrade to the G5. Unfortunately, the battery is not user replaceable. It did survive with me for 2 years, and is the phone I am still using until the Samsung S21 arrives in the mail.

I did a hard look at the S21+ and Ultra as well, but I like the smaller screen and one handedness of the LG G6, and the S21 is the smaller and cheaper of the trio. I tried to get the S20 as that phone is even cheaper than the S21 as it is now considered last years model...but oddly enough, everyone seems to be out of them despite the S20 not being sold in any great numbers due to its higher price and Covid 19 climate. Either way, I am sure the S21 will be a nice upgrade to my LG that dates back to 2017.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 12:19:01 PM
I forgot to say that I like LG, but read recently that LG is contemplating exiting the mobile phone business. Now I cannot wait to get the new phone in.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 12:30:46 AM
It came in today but I think I will activate it soon...just do not have a case for it yet. The one I ordered on Amazon is supposed to come in around March 3rd. See it to believe it. In the meantime, I do not want to carry it around without one.

I ordered the Phantom Purple because a lot of reviewers said it is sharp...and I must concur. The gold tones make this one snappy looking phone.

Here is the unboxing:

20210226_173357A by Chako, on Flickr

20210226_173456A by Chako, on Flickr

20210226_173530A by Chako, on Flickr

20210226_173640A by Chako, on Flickr

20210226_173755A by Chako, on Flickr

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 12:37:11 AM
Oh oh.  :facepalm:

With all of my research, I did not realize that Samsung includes a USB C to USB C charging cable. I thought it would have one regular USB end. I knew they didn't include a charger...but I thought I had that covered with a bunch of the regular chargers...guess I will have to buy one now.   :facepalm:

EDIT:

Ok, I am still good. The LG G6 uses the USB C connector. Using that cable to charge the new phone. So I do have a bunch of USB to USB C cables. I did order a 10 station USB charging station. My little 4 station one is officially outgrown. The new  station even has a USB C plug in.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:00:26 AM by Chako »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 12:35:30 PM
I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro. Absolute pain that no charger is supplied.

Seriously?  That seems pretty idiotic, although no surprise from Apple.

Megan has the iPhone 11 Pro I think it is....  she also has the iPhone 8 Plus, or whatever the big one is called as a work phone.  She thinks it is too big to use, but the Note 20 Ultra is just a bit bigger and I really enjoy the size.

My biggest frustration with her iPhone 11 is that she flat out refuses to get the Commando case for it.

Some people just have no taste....

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 01:01:55 PM
Now that is seriously hilarious.  :rofl:

When I got the G6, I wanted a LifeProof case much like I did for the LG G5. With the G5, I still found that pocket dust got into the case and caused me constant grief. Getting the phone out of that case was harder than the dust entering it. Because I had ordered one online and it was coming in late, I was forced to find an emergency alternative. I went to the local mall and found a cheap wallet type case for temporary use. The LifeProof never came, I got my money back...and that cheap alternative proved to be the best phone case I ever used. I ordered something similar off of Amazon, and I hope that history does not repeat itself in my not receiving the product. It is slated to arrive this Thursday. Fingers crossed.

it was cheap enough...and I hope it will do just as well as the one I bought for the LG G6 two years ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08T6Y182F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 05:40:42 PM
That Commando case is cool.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 11:42:25 PM
That Commando case is cool.

I know, right?  Megan just has no taste... I mean seriously... look at her taste in men.   :ahhh

Now that is seriously hilarious.  :rofl:

When I got the G6, I wanted a LifeProof case much like I did for the LG G5. With the G5, I still found that pocket dust got into the case and caused me constant grief. Getting the phone out of that case was harder than the dust entering it. Because I had ordered one online and it was coming in late, I was forced to find an emergency alternative. I went to the local mall and found a cheap wallet type case for temporary use. The LifeProof never came, I got my money back...and that cheap alternative proved to be the best phone case I ever used. I ordered something similar off of Amazon, and I hope that history does not repeat itself in my not receiving the product. It is slated to arrive this Thursday. Fingers crossed.

it was cheap enough...and I hope it will do just as well as the one I bought for the LG G6 two years ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08T6Y182F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a Lifeproof case once.  Once.   :facepalm:

I decided to try one out as I had heard they were amazing,  Within the first month one of the corners had shattered and I stabbed my ear with jagged plastic every time I answered it.  I don't know if I got a bad one or what, but it really wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell.  I've heard that they make a really good iPhone case, but they really phone it in (no pun intended) for Android.  I can't attest to the former, since I have never owned an iPhone, but I can certainly attest to the latter as it was one of the worst cases I have ever owned.

Personally I stick to the Otterbox Defender as much as possible.  The Defender series wasn't available for my last phone and I went with the Commuter series and the screen was cracked early on, which may have contributed to why it didn't work half the time. 

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 12:05:36 AM
That sounds about right. I know I wouldn't buy another one. If dust can get in, I would think the assurance that it is waterproof would not sand up to scrutiny.  :whistle:

I looked for another interim case until that wallet style comes in, and I was taken aback. The place where I got my other wallet case for the other phone didn't carry any cases for the S21 yet. I went back to Virgin, and they wanted to sell me only a thin plastic back shell for 70 dollars. Ouch.

I will say, I just starting playing with the built in cameras. Seems to be nicer than those found on the G6.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 02:59:56 PM
That's the problem with new phones, waiting for things like cases to become available.

My last 2 phones had Incipio cases, but I didn't like their new offerings. Decided to get an Otterbox Symmetry instead. Ordered my new phone, then went to order the case, only to find it had gone out of stock. Fortunately my new phone was delayed a few days and the case came back in stock, so I got it a couple of days before the phone.
apl28-iph20-20-2.jpg
* apl28-iph20-20-2.jpg (Filesize: 40.68 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 04:37:50 PM
The scrolling on this phone is incredible. 120 Hz puts my old phone to shame. I also noticed I am not making as many big finger typos either.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 10:36:35 PM
Bought a clear jelly style back case for the phone until the wallet case comes in. Oddly enough...everyone mostly sell iPhone cases only...an odd thing.  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 01:25:57 AM
IPhones are easy as there is only 1-2 handset designs, while Android is installed on over a dozen different brands.  Another good reason for sticking with Samsung, as they tend to be most popular.

Still, try finding a case for last year's iPhone.... or one that is 2-3 years out of date.   :ahhh

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 02:43:11 AM
The dollar store has them all for a 3 or 4 buck price.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 06:06:28 AM
I just bought a backup for my Nokia C2-01 if that's any use. $25 refurb from aliexpress.  :whistle:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

england Offline Kev D

Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 09:11:44 AM
I upgraded to a Samsung Note 20 Ultra last August/September time, I love the phone but hate the screen protectors for it.  The film ones just don't give the protection I like and the glass ones I've tried stop the fingerprint sensor detecting properly.

I've ordered a zagg invisibleshield glassfusion+ the other day and waiting for it to arrive.  It gets great reviews and might finally be the glass protector that works for me.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 06:58:12 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that Kevin.  I've been having the same problem, and I already have some chips and scratches on the screen.

It probably won't be too long before I need to replace the screen, and when I do I'll need a good screen protector then!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 09:52:40 PM
Why not just go with a wallet case? With the cover, no need for a screen protector.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 01:55:55 AM
Why not just go with a wallet case? With the cover, no need for a screen protector.

No protection if you drop it and lands open face first.    :ahhh

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 02:19:05 AM
These things have magnetic closures.  :think:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 09:12:38 AM

I do have a wallet case, the Samsung clearview one.  The clearview panel actually rubs on the screen the full length.  I switched to a different one and it did the same thing but one the other side.  They scuff the edge of the screen protectors and in one case made it lift enough to get small air bubbles under it.  If I can find a decent glass one I'll be able to use my spigen slim armour case that I have had since buying the phone but not yet used.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 09:41:12 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that Kevin.  I've been having the same problem, and I already have some chips and scratches on the screen.

It probably won't be too long before I need to replace the screen, and when I do I'll need a good screen protector then!

Def

I'll let you all know how it is  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 11:36:38 AM
No protection if you drop it and lands open face first.    :ahhh
That's why my screen now has a crack in one corner. I hope it doesn't spread. Should have gotten a tempered glass screen protector... :rant:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24