Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Crucial

665ae · 99 · 21853

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Gerber Crucial
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 07:35:16 AM

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 12:30:51 PM
You got to see that it is just to damn close for me. I really will pass of that tool.
S

us Offline EZ822

Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 05:26:57 PM
I like how the blade isn't pointed though; it's more of a sheepsfoot design! Wouldn't that be cool if LM offered a Skeletool with a fully serrated sheepsfoot blade for EMS/First Responders/LE and the like? That would sell really well, IMO!
I agree with you on the blade design. I as well would like LM to come out with some sort of tool designed for First Responders
Erick

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 07:21:22 PM
Well, I guess LM had to expect copies before too long. That's the bane of being an innovator in a capitalistic free market... you do the dirty design work, test the market, and then watch others make money. But, like I said, I'm assuming LM isn't surprised in the least, and will just continue to make a higher quality, higher price-point model than the rest, and figure it'll be ok. That's what they've done for years, and it's seemed to work for them, so I expect they'll be just fine. :-\

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2009, 07:27:07 PM
It's a PMS (Poor Man's Skeletool).

Lucky for Gerber, I am a poor man, and I actually quite like the look of that.

Did anyone get to handle it? If so, what was the quality like?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009, 07:44:50 PM
I'm not going to get steamed up design similarities - That's how the world works, and presumably, we the customer, are the better for it, as multiple companies compete for our attention with their various takes on the same theme.

Especially for poor customers like me, who would need to sell their body to afford a Skeletool!

Imagine the pickle we'd be in if only one beer company was allowed to bottle their drink in long necks!..........

*sigh*  I'm starting to come around to Nomad's way of thinking on this matter. The Crucial is NOT an exact copy of the Skeletool. Instead, it takes the Skeletool "minimalist" concept and adds a couple of twists like dedicated screwdrivers and a fold out carabiner. As such it may actually be preferable to some folks over the Skeletool. In short, it's just barely enough different that I can feel okay about Gerber producing them. 

I'm sure the folks at Gerber will rest easier knowing that. :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #36 on: January 18, 2009, 08:23:03 PM

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #37 on: January 18, 2009, 08:43:27 PM
Gerbers stooped to an all time low here  >:( Not only have they ripped Leathermans design , I bet its made in China too which I bet they don't make too big a deal out of . On the plus side I like the blade shape but the only way I would have one is if it was given too me . Im not a fan .

Dunc

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 09:55:24 PM
Yup! I allways have tryed to give gerber a break. I know it looks like I have been nasty especially to them, but look at my review of the shortcut. Plus I have told the people to try thier stuff before taking my word and most have and came to the same conclusion. I even defended them to no end over the artifact. However this is blatent theft. Yes they worked a little around it, but come on guys you gotta see they are now scum.
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 09:56:44 PM
I am really starting to want one of these! I just want to see if it's utter junk!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:42 PM
It's actually not that bad at all.  I got to handle two out of the three prototypes, and it doesn't seem like a cheap or awful tool.  Admittedly the samples I fondled were loose, but bear in mind these are not the production versions.  These have likely been carried and used (hard), disassembled and re-assembled hundreds of times.  There was a noticeable amount of wear on them and I doubt that was "show wear" as we saw them on the first day.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 10:45:13 PM
What's the release date on the Crucial?
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 12:55:53 AM
May.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 01:03:51 AM
Ahh they can keep it. I original stuff.
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 01:04:28 AM
May.

Def

Why is May the release date for everything?
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 01:12:17 AM
Inside joke...

Most places we went to and asked what the release date was, the answer was May.  For the few places that said something other than May, we told them that they were wrong and that their release date was May, and why.  They saw the error of their ways and changed their plans immediately.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 01:41:04 AM
May.

Def

Why is May the release date for everything?

My guess is it May be released? ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 01:44:57 AM
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 03:43:13 AM
Probably closer to the truth than any of them want to admit!  :D

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 01:33:16 PM
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 12:00:38 PM
What style wire cutters does it have? Doesn't look like bypass cutters in the pics? :think: I think it looks quite nice, in fact i think it looks better than the Skeletool, looks like it would be comfier in the hand when in plier mode too. Yes it may not be the most original idea in the world but by no means is it a direct copy, the knife blade for one is hinged at the opposite end of the handle. I think the carbineer should be dropped though looks a bit ungainly stuck on there.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 02:28:54 PM
I believe they are bypass cutters.

Def

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 03:02:04 PM
I know Gerber is suffering a stoning at the hands of MT.org users in this thread for ripping off the Skeletool design, but in a way I applaud their efforts to take a flawed design and put their own spin on it.  Many people were upset about the length the carabiner added, but not with the freestyle many people are also saying "i miss the biner" so BAM, folding carabiner!  It looks and seems much more appealing and comfortable in both the closed and open positions.  I also like their approach to including the drivers in a minimilist tool design such as this.  Is anyone going to question wether or not the Skeletool was their inspiration?  Hell no, but it nobody piggybacked ideas off one another, improvements in ANY field would be stagnant.  I am looking forward to the release of this tool, and hope it does well.

-Dough

PS - This is coming from a guy who does not own, and does not like, most of Gerber's multitools haha
W

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:55 PM
I am just afraid when someone takes a good tool made with quality in America with quality materials and produces it overseas with inferior materials and crappy quality. Yes I do own some Gerber's, they use to be good but like with some companies the quality is hit or miss. This may or may not be an outright ripoff but I categorize it with counterfeit products (like the Kershaw Leek clone on Bladeforums right now). If it smells like a fish and looks like a fish, it's probably a fish. That is not to say I don't like the idea of the tool and I am most certainly going to get one and put it in a head to head competition with the Skeletool. If it is the winner in the end then it will have won fairly. I just don't like when companies rip off other peoples designs. I am sure the Crucial will be a major hit for Gerber and will hopefully make them very popular with the "in" crowd. I just don't see folks like SOG making Skeletool clones.  ::)

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:23 PM
Is the Crucial going to be available in that puke green color too? I thought I saw one in a Gerber pic; but I can't be sure!
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:08 PM
Love the color still hate the tool!
S

ru Offline Lutsky

Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 12:27:00 PM
Hi. I read this thread and now wanna ask one question. What do you mean talking about "LM's original idea"? Here is Buck Navigator
https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Navigator+753
Doesn't remind something? Navigator was announced at the 2002. Long before "Skeletool".

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 12:28:55 PM
Hi. I read this thread and now wanna ask one question. What do you mean talking about "LM's original idea"? Here is Buck Navigator
https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Navigator+753
Doesn't remind something? Navigator was announced at the 2002. Long before "Skeletool".

Man's gotta point - good first post.  :tu:  Can't wait to see what the LM guys think of that one.

Welcome to the forum.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
The asymetric handles certainly bear a similiarity to the Navigator :-\

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 03:20:49 PM
Ya know I want one of these. The design really appeals to me. I'm just afraid of Gerber, after the whole Suspension self-destruct thing.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%