Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Mil OPS Pack 30

de Offline Thehunt

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Mil OPS Pack 30
on: January 31, 2022, 03:38:36 PM
When Tasmanian Tiger and TACWRK finally presented some novelties "live and in color" again in September 2021, we naturally went.
There it was still #NoPics event, but now the cat is out of the...

As I have dragged the Mil OPS Pack 30 extensively through the pampas by now, I would like to give you my view.

First of all, it should be mentioned that the Mil OPS Pack 30 forms a duo with the much larger Mil OPS Pack 80+24 and is now in use with former colleagues of mine.

(...I'll introduce you to the 80 another time, I promise).

The MO30 is exactly what the name suggests, a 30 liter daypack.

At 58 x 30 x 16 cm, it is comparable to the Modular Pack 30, but 3 cm wider and 2 cm flatter. Feeling on your will be about the same.
I especially like the large side pockets, as seen above. They hold the "fat" 40 oz Klean Kanteen including the Tatonka cup, very well!. Pouches on both sides, even better!

Unlike the Modular Pack 30, the Mil OPS 30 has a simple webbing hip belt, as seen here:

Properly adjusted, however, even the webbing still transfers quite a bit of weight to the hips, if you have the appropriate physique, of course.

My setup weighed, according to suitcase scale, about 13KG, including water. That´s about what could be carried very comfortably. Here it should be said that backpacks are like shoes in my experience, they fit, or they do not. Therefore, a test wear (please with weight) is recommended.

The MO30 can't hide its military origins, here you can see the padded back system, very simple, nothing that can get caught, or break quickly.
But still so comfortable that even long wearing times are quite doable. Worn over a plate carrier or "pure", both goes well. Quick release is available via concealed Fastex closures.

Good to see here, the shoulder straps are extendable from the top, as well as from the bottom.

Since Tasmanian Tiger builds it this way I'm a total fan, you can comfortably adjust your pack even in winter when more insulating layers also require more volume:

Chest strap? Check.

As a comparison, my Modular Pack 30, pimped with the more sturdy Molle Hip Belt carries up to 15 kilos comfortably for me, the difference is arguably not very big.

The lid is elastic on the sides, so it encloses the main compartment well:

The lid compartment is simple but functional, the inserts on the sides reliably prevent small stuff from falling out unnoticed.

In the compartment is  a small carabiner to fix keys or the like.

Inside the lid is a zipper pocket, suitable for handkerchiefs, wet wipes, spare FFP2 masks , rescue blanket and other odds and ends. (IFAK is with me always outside of the pack, even if some manufacturers always provide a compartment inside for it...)

On the back side, the lid is sewn tight, but still offers some potential for overpacking:

Sometimes inside, sometimes outside the generously sized snow flap.

On the bottom left you find a loop for tripods, hiking poles or the like.
Inserting an axe "Finnish" (upside down and then turn around) is unfortunately not possible, for this the loops are too tight, even a slim Hawk is unfortunately too big, so I had to find a way, more on that later.

On the front enough Molle and included Shockcord to accommodate additional pockets or for simply stuffing wet rain gear outside.

Also good to see, the generously sized straps on the lid closure, what is not needed is hidden under the Molle.

Two side compression straps per side round up the quartet of straps.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:18:03 PM by Thehunt »
M

de Offline Thehunt

Re: First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Mil OPS Pack 30
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 03:39:00 PM
Before we take a look inside, a word about the sides.
Two individual Molle loops (as in single) are found on each of the side pockets.

Here you can attach taller molle pouches, really clever. Four columns at the top, a single loop at the bottom of each, looks like this:

Above you can now also see the Hawk, simply pushed between the main compartment and the outer pocket, here on display, an Escape Hawk, the models of Cold Steel go just as well, also my Hulfatfors fits (but was too heavy for me).

From the side it looks like this:

The compression straps still have some room, a fleece jacket would still fit underneath.

Theoretically you could also slide something in horizontally, I just couldn't think of anything useful, any ideas?

So, the main compartement. This is a highly complex... bag. A compartment for a hydration bladder along with suspension, that's it.

The venerable Bundeswehr (BW) folding mat fits together with a ground sheet either inside, or in front of it, depending on whether you pack a water bladder. Outlets are found on both sides.

Especially large main compartments have done it to me, the Modular 30, the 45+, just to name a few, I highly appreciate it, if you can divide the compartments as you want (i.e. Packing Cubes!).
Top.

This is what my Stetup looked like, but the Carinthia Def 1 was already packed:

And cold it was:

My summary, a great versatile backpack, excellent workmanship as always.
I can well understand why our guys (and gals) in Flecktarn chose this one.
M

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 06:38:12 AM
Thanks for the review.  I have not tried any Tasmanian Tiger packs, but thos on does look interesting.

de Offline Thehunt

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 05:54:36 PM
Thanks for the review.  I have not tried any Tasmanian Tiger packs, but thos on does look interesting.

Never came across a malmanufactured piece of equipment by them, and the DO know their harness systems.
You won´t be disappointed  :cheers:
M

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 09:04:19 PM
Very good review, thanks :tu:
Might have to check them out when I'll be looking for a new pack.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD