Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your Foldable / packable daypacks/backpacks/bags

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
I try to get out of the rabbit hole of carrying stuff. But lately, I have really seen the value of compact daypacks, especially for shopping or just dumping a hoodie and a water bottle etc.
I also feel that there is a point where they are just too bulky real quick.

The one that gets the most use is this one.

Got it for AU$6 delivered, and it packs down real small.
The caveat is the inside seams were all single stitch, which would probably hold up for longer than most would estimate. Owning a mini overlocker (serger) i just reinforced all the seams in a few minutes. A patient person could run a zig-zag, or a straight stitch with bias binding with a regular sewing machine.

There are some other similar generic models like this one with cosmetic variation that are slighlty dearer. Some even have pictures of the inside that appear to have bias binding.
The main thing i say is the small pouch, big single zip opening and the adjustable mesh straps. I carry mine clipped to a 410ml or 600ml waterbottle, sometimes just to my belt loop. Summit to Sea Ultrasil Daypack is a similar size .

The second style i have is two that are clones of the Matador Daylite 16

One is the same brand as the previously mentioned backpack. It has proper biased bound seams but is bulkier.
The second is badged as 'Lost' foldable backpack and was sold through the COTTON:ON clothing chain here in Australia. It actually has manufacturer labels and is a slightly higher build quality.
Packed down in the pouch they are 30-40% than the other design and i don't feel it's worth the added bulk for the few extra features.

The last one I currently have is a Ripcurl Packable Daypack. Paid AU$10 for New Old Stock.

Unpacked it is a very good simple design and will probably hold up to much more casual abuse. However, packed it is just too bulky to carry without another bag.

Things like checked luggage or if you take a large single carry on and want something smaller for day trips at your destination.
If you are doing this it is probably best to pack it by laying it flat open rather than scrunched it into its own pocket pouch.

All in all how small it packs in its pouch/pocket affects whether I bother to take the foldable bag. When i do take one though i am always impressed at how handy they are over a shopping bag or o stuff clothes/ items in when the weather changes.

So much so I have an Summit to Sea Nano Daypack in the mail. Its 30g and the size of an egg so hoping it will live on the keychain.  The straps are concerning but i may mod them if the rest of the bag holds up.

https://www.lacrux.com/en/klettern/the-lightest-backpack-in-the-world-ultra-sil-nano-daypack-from-sea-to-summit/

Will put up shots of my own units side by side . So what have you got , what do you use it for and what is your philosophy on size and functio?.

“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Show us your Foldable / packable daypacks/backpacks/bags
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 02:24:29 PM
I have a small string strap backpack that folds up into a very small pocket on the bag so it’s only idk bag? Great for walking to the store and getting a few thing and not having to carry them by hand but just unfolding the bag and just slinging it over the shoulder,,
I originally had a standard backpack that I used back in high school, absolutely great, if you needed to fit more books or something just unzip one of the back zippers, it would bump out like an extra 2”, need more unzip the other and you got another 2” and one huge backpack! I so wish I could find that one again! So since I wanted something like that but smaller I made something with a small only 3” deep backpack and added a 3” bump out, I used all parts from a backpack I ripped apart, not the best of jobs but it works,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:14 PM
Inside my EDC bag, under my Skinth, I keep this foldable bag. Inside it I keep a rain proof cover for my EDC bag and a neck tube. When I buy something that's too large for my bag, I put it in there and I hang it from my yellow hook.
It has the emblem of the Greek Psychiatric Society, ΕΨΕ in a circle.
When empty, it is very small and heart shaped.
I've got it under my Skinth, you could say (or sing),,, :whistle:

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 05:49:52 PM
I use one similar to yours but from sea to summit and have been for years. Top quality

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 08:53:17 PM
I also have a ^similar one (from M&S no less, although someone else gave it to me), plus two or three rectangular ones, all of which live in my EDC/work backpack.
The UK has done its utmost to eliminate non-reusable shopping bags, so many people here now carry such things as a matter of course. It's big business, with all the branding and printing options, of course!

My bergan also collapses down somewhat, if you fasten the side pocket zips, but I won't upload pictures yet as I'm not sure that counts for the purposes of this thread?

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 11:17:25 PM
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 11:51:39 PM
I have used the smallest for a small shop but am not disciplined to take multiple bags for the big shops and tend to buy the 'reusable' plastic bags every time. (my future garbage bin liners!) 

I also like the older Sea To Summit Ultrasil Sling bags and wish their Nano shopping bag copied the one-piece strap rather than two thin ones.  If I could get the 15D ripstop cheap tlocally I'd make one but currently effort to gain ratio is not there.

The COTTON:ON Lost Transit Backpack is slightly bulkier packed than the other 'sanitized' Daylite clone which really shows how much difference the fabric has on the size/weight.

* bag d.jpg (Filesize: 73.14 KB)

* bag.jpg (Filesize: 106.12 KB)

* bag b.jpg (Filesize: 88.2 KB)

* bag c.jpg (Filesize: 70.71 KB)
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD