Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lionsteel Bestman overview

dks · 9 · 2505

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Lionsteel Bestman overview
on: March 06, 2021, 04:36:14 PM
Lionsteel is currently fashionable, building traditional knives using modern materials, methods and steel.

Though it may shock some, they have been making traditional patterns for years as I have a hunting folder made by them a few years ago that is well made and looks more traditional, using basic SS.

The Bestman is one of the 4 modern looking traditional knives currently on their website, though I suspect they make more, common, models.
It comes with one or two blades.

The specifications given for my model are:
Total length: 238 mm. - 9.37 in.
Blade length: 71 mm. - 2.80 in.
Blade thickness: 2.5 mm. - 0.10 in.
Total weight: 93 gr. - 3.28 oz.
Locking system: Slipjoint
Packaging: Cardboard box
Blade style: Two blades
Blade steel: M390 stainless steel
Handle: Ebony

https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/product/1866/bm_bestman

Despite using a bit of titanium it feels hefty, not heavy, but you will know it’s there.
Its also bigger than I expected. Proper knife size, rather than “small” knife size.(comparison photograph with Case small sodbuster and a 91mm Victorinox)

The single blade model is lighter, however the extra thickness of the two-blade version means it feels good in my hand. I suspect the single bladed one will feel thin.
Walk and talk is very good with smooth movement and nice snap. I am sure it may get even better with some washing and oiling, but it does not seem to need it.
It is a bit harder to open than I expected, if a Victorinox is a 5 on pull then this is a 6 to 7, think of good GEC pull, rather than bear trap GEC pull. I can open it easily though some will find the pull too strong. I would have preferred a lighter pull. You should be able to pinch open the single blade versions.

Both blades have nail nicks on both sides, possibly to allow ambidextrous opening, or to save money by being able to use the same blades on various models with one or two blades.

The backsprings are rounded at the back.

The finish is very good, as you would expect from an industrial product. The screws look weird to me. I think the knife can be taken apart for cleaning.

Half stops on  both blades, with flat spring at the half stops.

It appears to have bronze or copper washers, that look like wires (seen in one of the photographs).

The ebony in mine has some very slight brown colour in, a common occurrence with ebony (photograph with a similar cover).

The factory says mine is 180 Euro, though you should be able to find it for around 110.
Hint - don’t order from the manufacturer.
IMG_7210.JPG
* IMG_7210.JPG (Filesize: 69.1 KB)
IMG_7207.JPG
* IMG_7207.JPG (Filesize: 54.49 KB)
IMG_7223.JPG
* IMG_7223.JPG (Filesize: 49.94 KB)
IMG_7237.JPG
* IMG_7237.JPG (Filesize: 34.86 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Lionsteel Bestman overview
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 04:37:36 PM
IMG_7227.JPG
* IMG_7227.JPG (Filesize: 21.54 KB)
IMG_7234.JPG
* IMG_7234.JPG (Filesize: 62.17 KB)
IMG_7213.JPG
* IMG_7213.JPG (Filesize: 55.84 KB)
IMG_7212.JPG
* IMG_7212.JPG (Filesize: 41.86 KB)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:44:07 AM
Nice write up!   :tu:

I believe the washers are phosphor bronze.

Below are a few pics of my Bestman (natural canvas micarta) and Shuffler (green G10).  YMMV, but I actually like the Shuffler (or closely related knives) as a pocket carry over the Bestman, as it is a less bulky package overall with fewer sharp corners.  And, while the Bestman blade is wider, due to the longer tang the Shuffler blade is longer by 1/16" overall, while the Bestman actually has a sharp edge that is 1/8" longer.

bm1.jpg
* bm1.jpg (Filesize: 181.01 KB)
bm2.jpg
* bm2.jpg (Filesize: 102.5 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:56:14 AM by nate j »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 08:18:10 AM
 :tu:  on the washers

I did notice it too when comparing the blades with some other knives, like in the comparison photograph, that you get a big cutting area for the size of the blade. Good use of blade length.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 09:56:35 AM
Nice knives gents.  :tu:  I have to say that the idea of ambi nail nicks sounds like a good one to me.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 07:44:05 AM
Nice knives gents.  :tu:  I have to say that the idea of ambi nail nicks sounds like a good one to me.

Certainly, the dual nail nicks don't really have a downside, and do allow the single blade models to be fully ambidextrous.  On the two-blade models, though, typically only one nail nick per blade is accessible with all the blades in the closed position.  Thus, the single blade Bestman (and Shuffler, etc.) are fully ambidextrous, but the two-blade Bestman is a right-handed knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 02:32:00 PM
Nice write up  :tu:  I like the looks for what they've done.  The screws do seem " off " but that's modern for ya.  Its a nice looking knife as are the ones posted by nate.  I can see these being a good choice for anyone wanting to step into the modern traditional knife world. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 12:04:31 PM
I have meant to pick a Lionsteel knife up before now but haven't yet  :facepalm: Great review,  dks :salute: :like:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 12:13:12 PM
Take your time as they are not limited. The Barlow looks better than the Bestman. I think. There were also some SFOs made for  a US seller - what nate posted is an SFO.
Don't overpay

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%