Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger First Aid Mini (pic heavy)

de Offline Thehunt

Disclaimer:
I´m not a medic, para medic, nor a 18 Delta.
What I say is my own opinion and nothing more. I´m not responsible for any misuse of medical equipment.

That being said...

In my last review I asked if there is any interest in a small EDC-able First Aid kit.
So, here we go.

Often times it´s like this:
You want to.
You are trained to.
All you lack is the equipment.

That´s where I found myself when it came to a „go anywhere“ First Aid Kit.
What was on the (German) market was too bulky, or simply didn´t fit my needs.

It looks loke Tasmanian Tiger thought the same thing, as they designed the TT First Aid Mini.

It´s a 10x7x4 cm sized zippered pouch, made from 420 HD Nylon, backed by a Hypalon loop at the back for mounting to a belt/rig/plate carrier or any PALS webbing.

With the Modular Support Bag for size reference:

By the way, the Support Bag is our designated Advanced Home Firt Aid Kit.
Fast to deploy, big enough to hold enough gear and very mobile.

But back to the FAM.
In Germany civilian First Responders are not trained in the use of  Tourniquets.
A pressure dressing is a s far as we go, even Israeli Bandages are a rare sight…

Germany has room for improvement here, to put it mildly…

My wife and I are used to carry a RATS  Tourniquet, it´s just faster and better suited to stop bleeding, if push comes to shove.

The FAM comes prefilled from the dealer, I´m used to replace the stuff, although it is decent quality, and pack to my liking.

For around 20€ you get the pouch itself, packed with the following:

1x dressing pack small, compress non-adhesive
2x wound plaster 10 x 6 cm, elastic
5x plaster strip 7,2 x 2,5 cm
1 roll of adhesive plaster 5 m x 2,5 cm
1x tick tweezers

I took it out and stored it. Then I filled with the contents below:

Olight i3E
Victorinox Classic (scissors, tweezers, small blade)
Scalpel blades
Sticking plaster
Four alcohol wipes
Three compresses
Two gauze bandages
Nitrile gloves
Wound plaster
OTC painkillers

You need a light most urgently when you don´t have it, Murphy applies…
Sometimes a simple blade won´t cut it, hence the scissors, pun intended.

Nitril gloves are more puncture resistant than latex and more stand up to sunlight better.

Some moleskin for the coming blisters, and the usual Booboo´s.

The rest is self expainatory I think?
Some painkillers go a long way for sure...

With a little patience you will be able to fit everything into the FAM, combined with the RATS you have covered the most common mishaps.

Will it handle a mass casualty?
Surely not. And it´s not designed for that, take the Modular support Bag for that!
The First Aid Mini is build for EDC, where it shines in my opinion.
Being my own First Responder, that´s what I build this for.

Pack like this:
The flat stuff goes into the see through compartment:

The bigger stuff comes on top:

Zippe dup it look slike this:

Fit´s nearly everywhere, even in the AR15 mag pockets in my flanell shirt:

In the top mesh pouch:

Surely you already noticed what´s missing….
I was sure as helll that I still had some Red Cross patches in stock :-)

To sum it up, the Firsat Aid Mini is exactly that, a EDC-able First Aid Kit, truely small and won´t break the bank.
I find myself having the FAM and the RATS on me nearly on all times, and that´s a big plus in my book.

Let´shope we won´t need it for real.

If you have any question, shoot!
M

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: First Look: Tasmanian Tiger First Aid Mini (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 01:08:32 PM
Nice write up  :tu:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 02:21:08 AM
Nice write up and it looks like a very nice pouch and a capable kit  :tu:

My booboo kit at the moment is a J&J one I got for a dollar in Walmart on vaction, it came with some plasters and other basics. I threw in a Tylenol bottle (they're so nice... our pills just come in a push out strip) with mixed OTC meds (paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamines, and diarrhea pills).

I have some kits that are a little more capable, but they're also bigger and I unfortunately don't (yet) have any official first aid training.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 04:22:38 AM
Thanks for the review Thehunt :tu: might have to look out for this…especially being Tassie tiger :like:

I wanted something similar that I could chuck in a bag, the car, in a 72 hour bag, that kind of thing.

In my case I want hygiene covered for a few days as well as first aid and put this together on the weekend.
It’s not quite there yet but does all fit in this zipped travel pouch, the clear top being an advantage.
Going to add a small flashlight and some reading glasses, I’ve also got some body wipes not shown.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:33:20 AM
Nice setups :tu:
I got a nice little fak, I also have one of the smallest fak’s, you know those old school wallets with those long things of pic pockets? Well I took one of those and cut the pockets, slid two mini bandaids and two large, along with two alcohol wipes in, all the size of a credit card, I have a pic on here somewhere, but it’s too late..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 04:56:09 AM
Thanks for the review Thehunt :tu: might have to look out for this…especially being Tassie tiger :like:

I wanted something similar that I could chuck in a bag, the car, in a 72 hour bag, that kind of thing.

In my case I want hygiene covered for a few days as well as first aid and put this together on the weekend.
It’s not quite there yet but does all fit in this zipped travel pouch, the clear top being an advantage.
Going to add a small flashlight and some reading glasses, I’ve also got some body wipes not shown.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well stocked kit, that tiny toothpaste is adorable!

Have you considered moving the ibuprofen out of the box for space? Coin towels would go great in a hygiene kit too  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline Echotech

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger First Aid Mini (pic heavy)
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 05:00:50 AM

Have you considered moving the ibuprofen out of the box for space? Coin towels would go great in a hygiene kit too  :tu:
Thanks GearedForwards :tu:
The ibuprofen box is stuffed with other meds too, but yes, am definitely considering using something else. There are a couple of coin towels in there somewhere, great minds etc :)

Ps. There’s tiny floss in there too which I got from my dentist

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 05:02:44 AM

OMG, I didn’t even see that toothpaste I thought it was just the brush, that is freaking adorable!
I have round tubes like coin rolls that are plastic for both ibuprofen and tums, saves on space and being hard plastic won’t crush,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline Echotech

Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 05:08:11 AM
OMG, I didn’t even see that toothpaste I thought it was just the brush, that is freaking adorable!
I have round tubes like coin rolls that are plastic for both ibuprofen and tums, saves on space and being hard plastic won’t crush,,
JR
:) check eBay for the toothbrush kits but think the one shown was from a hygiene kit from a flight, very handy.

I’m interested in the tubes MP, are they actual coin tubes?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%