Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which shovel?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Which shovel?
on: March 08, 2021, 01:23:21 PM

The Russian MPL-50

The Chinese WJO-308

I wrote several times the text but I could't upload it because of a forgotten attachement. Long story short, which would you prefer for use in the car according to your experience?

Similar shovels, locally available (because ebay takes ages to reach, during the pandemic)

Texas Gold 315

Texas Gold 310

Texas Gold 313 (expensive)

And a lot others with metal and plastic handle.

Shovel MTO.jpg
* Shovel MTO.jpg (Filesize: 358.01 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:41:06 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Which shovel?
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 04:48:36 PM
No experience? Somebody? Anybody?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 05:21:19 PM
I do not have any of those, but from my experience with snow shoveling around my Jeep...I would go for the Chinese shovel simply because of the positional shovel head. Garden hoe position is great to clear stuff around the tires.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 06:02:38 PM
I have this Spear and Jackson micro shovel in the back of my car.  Proven useful a couple of times over the years. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JFXZ4KO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 06:11:16 PM
I'd avoid the combo shovel/saw/hatchet things unless you've tried one in person and know it's actually quality.  All the ones I have seen are pretty much junk. 

As Dan says; if the quality of the locking device is good then the pick head might be a useful option.  :)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:48:35 PM
Thank you.
Only the WJO-308 looks like having a serious folding mechanism. Most of the others look like being made of plastic.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 12:13:16 AM
If I'm correct, Grant posted something about shovels years ago. He was dealing with compacted snow.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 12:32:16 AM
If I could have any shovel it would be a Crovel,
The first one that came out was a little heavy duty which I liked but if for trips would be little heavy, I mean heck I took a hammer, crowbar, and piece of diamond plate and made something similar a few years back, sorry the pics are not that great,
But then Crovel came out with their 2nd model which is a hollow handle vs the solid crowbar that it used to be, so not only did it lighten the load but it also made a storage compartment, I think there’s a 3rd but idk, all depends on what your after,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 12:37:09 AM
I have three shovels I use heavily. A small non-folding True Temper, the USGI folding shovel by Ames, and a 1960s Bundeswehr-issue. The German one is built like a tank, while the US model seems flimsy (but I've treated it like crap and it's held on).   The German shovel has a heavier blade, and a solid forged pick. It has dug rocks, chopped through the underbrush, pried rocks, and dug holes. I like to also use it to clean out drainage culverts.    The True Temper is still compact enough, and it has the advantage of not having to disassemble to clean (I lost a tensioning spring on the German shovel, which put it out of use). My Dad bought it in the early 2000s from a surplus place as a Jeep shovel.  The USGI feels cheap (and I got it cheap), but it's not. I've treated it as rough as the German issue, and I have actually been able to get a decent edge on one side. Unlike the German shovel, it's supposed to be sharp on all sides of the blade, not just the end. The serrations make quick work out of tree roots when digging.  Plus, it has a MOLLE carrier so it doesn't take up space inside my pack, but it's still heavy. At least it folds to a really small size, and isn't as heavy as the German shovel.

Here's a link to the German one.

https://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2015/10/bundeswehr-klapspaten-west-german-army.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:46:20 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 05:40:24 AM
Gerber E-Tool is my choice for car carry.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 07:24:03 AM
Anything less than this is for kids  :pok:

But in all seriousness, when it comes to digging my car out of the snow, I wonder what better to use than a vintage computer keyboard?

Even dug out another car with it. Worked like a charm.  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 09:14:13 AM
I'd avoid the combo shovel/saw/hatchet things unless you've tried one in person and know it's actually quality.  All the ones I have seen are pretty much junk. 

As Dan says; if the quality of the locking device is good then the pick head might be a useful option.  :)

I actually have one of those. heavy, bulky and doesn't do any one job well enough to justify the purchase. fortunately i wasn't the one paying for it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 10:27:05 AM
Anything less than this is for kids  :pok:

But in all seriousness, when it comes to digging my car out of the snow, I wonder what better to use than a vintage computer keyboard?

Even dug out another car with it. Worked like a charm.  :cheers:

Well, if it works then why not I guess.  :D

ca Offline Altis

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 10:36:48 AM
Well, if it works then why not I guess.  :D

It worked to clear the snow... but not for typing on a computer anymore  :whistle:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 10:39:39 AM
It worked to clear the snow... but not for typing on a computer anymore  :whistle:
What?!  Well, that's really disappointing.  Chinese made rubbish if you ask me. :D :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 01:42:58 PM
The keyboard works as a kayak paddle and a door mat too. Have you ried it?

Thank you for all those suggestions.

I am partial with the Russian one, because it looks foolproof. I don't need folding in the car, there is enough space. Lookalikes are available locally for 20 euros and stainless steel goes up to 45 euros. The Glock Fieldspaten goes for 75 euros.

Shipping from abroad takes over 2 months and costs about 40 euros, so it would be wise to buy what's available locally.

I've seen a nice Fiskars Car Spade for 20 euros too. A T or D handle is good for the hard, dry and rocky Greek soil, although I don't intend to dig a lot, clearing and moving dirt and loose matter is closer to what I do. Once I just put the spade itself over a waterhole and drove my 2x4 over it. That's why I am afraid of plastic parts.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 06:37:13 PM
I have used and seen a good number of those Russian shovels used(Cold Steel and variants), it's a decent tool for light digging and chopping, or even for 'self defense'.  But the handle and the shovel head may come apart if you push it hard enough, and I have my doubt about it working in extreme temperature.

I will bet the Fiskars shovel you'd post will probably last longer and work better.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 08:22:25 PM
What?!  Well, that's really disappointing.  Chinese made rubbish if you ask me. :D :D

Who says keyboards can't be multitools?  :drink:

In all seriousness (seriously, this time), if it's for snow, I'd want a bit more of a scoop on it. Those look nice but they look like they're for digging holes in the ground rather than moving snow.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 12:45:46 PM
Where I live, we see snow for a couple of days every 6-7 years. I might see snow during winter tourism every couple of years and that's when I had to use the shovel. Don't imagine a lot of snow and my car can pass easily over snow (I have Mud and Snow tyres anyway). Ice is the problem sometimes. I have to scratch the patches of ice I find in U turns or uphill roads. A sharpened shovel is the right tool for that.

I like the Fiskars and they have many models, dedicated snow shovels too. This one is longer, around 78cm, and it isn't straight but serpentine, so it takes more space. Otherwise it is very nice.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 12:18:17 PM
As a "EDC" shovel in my car I have a GERBER/Fiskars folding shovel.
https://www.fiskars.com/de-de/garten/produkte/schaufeln-spaten/klappspaten-1000621

In Wintertime I add this one: https://www.fiskars.com/de-de/garten/produkte/schneeraumen-autowerkzeuge/universalschaufel-1001574
Has helped me a lot.
There is also a dedicated car snow shovel from fiskars: https://www.fiskars.com/de-de/garten/produkte/schneeraumen-autowerkzeuge/auto-schneeschaufel-1000740
For snow, get at least a aluminium shovel, avoid those plastic ones.

Fiskars products are good quality for the money so far.

The type of shovel really depends on your needs. As mentioned, as a just in case shovel some sturdy army shovel will do the trick. For snow the two above are really good.
If you need a sturdy shovel for real work on soil eg in your offroad car, get  a real, all metal (steel!) shovel. There are lots in the hardware stores, you can buy a regular one with a T-grip and shorten the wooden handle for a better fit in your car.

It all depends.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 02:48:42 AM
Shuya, I have the same Fiskars shovel in my Jeep. It has not failed me yet.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 12:04:15 PM
If I'm correct, Grant posted something about shovels years ago. He was dealing with compacted snow.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

I did.  I tested the SOG Entrenching Tool, the Gerber Gorge and the Cold Steel Spetznaz shovel against very hard packed ice.  You can read about the Gorge here:  http://multitool.org/blog/gerber-gorge-folding-shovel

It was MUCH tougher than I thought it would be, but even so, I tend to stick to the Spetznaz shovel nowadays as I prefer not to have joints in an impact tool whenever possible.

But, that's all useless info as none of these are the ones on your list, so I'd probably opt for something with as few joints as possible.  I like the idea of the added function with a pivoting head, so if the joint seems tough enough for your intended use (I don't know what the conditions are like in your area!) then go for it as the added functionality is not a bad thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 01:38:37 PM
Yeah after reading about the gerber gorge its now on my list, thanks boss !
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 03:00:03 PM

Well you do seem to have the snow under Ctrl...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:21 PM
 :rofl:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: October 02, 2021, 11:33:55 AM
It took some time, but I now have a 1984 CCCP Three Trees MPL-50 in New condition (Ukrainian Army surplus).
And it is a beauty.
I'm currently sharpening 3/4 of it for vegetation clearing (or should I buy a Kukri for that, gosh, it never stops!).

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

Reply #26 on: October 02, 2021, 12:00:24 PM
You should get a kukri for that :pok: : tu:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 02, 2021, 12:09:55 PM

I'm currently sharpening 3/4 of it for vegetation clearing (or should I buy a Kukri for that, gosh, it never stops!).

you should probably buy a kukri  :pok: :pok:
Yeah after reading about the gerber gorge its now on my list, thanks boss !

oh yeah and thanks to The Boss i would up getting a gorge. Nice tidy piece of kit, lives in my van

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: October 02, 2021, 12:22:03 PM
I wonder what the Police might think about that Kukri.
You can see the 3 Trees Logo, 1984 stamp and my signature.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: October 02, 2021, 01:23:16 PM
that looks a solid piece of kit for sure !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD