Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mod 3: Serrated Minimal Cyber, Kind of a CyberCompact

us Offline DavZell

I wanted a CyberTech without pliers, and perhaps even thinner.  I also recently gotten my first serrated main blade, a Spartan, and have been enjoying it.

I decided to combine a CyberTech 29 and a Serrated Spartan.  Since I seldom open bottles or pry things, and never open cans, I decided to go all the way and minimize this for daily EDC for my needs/desires.

I ditched the pliers, the can opener, the bottle opener, and the corkscrew on the CT 29.  Then I swapped the serrated blade in and tossed the plain blade.  Finally, I moved the awl over to where the corkscrew was. 

Here is the result.

Feedback appreciated.

David

My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Re: Mod 3: Serrated Minimal Cyber, Kind of a CyberCompact
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:00:56 AM
That is a sweet mod  :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 01:27:38 PM
That is a sweet mod  :tu:

That is a dude mod   :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline The_Raven

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 02:28:08 PM
Absolutely love it!  :drool: :drool: That's almost exactly what I would be looking for. Let me ask you, what do you like about the serrated knife? I know that they can cut rope and cord better, but unless you do a lot of that, I'm not sure of what other value they add to EDC. I've always avoided them because I heard they are a pain to sharpen,  but I would like to expand my appreciation on their benefits for EDC.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 11:18:59 PM
Great mod :salute: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline DavZell

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 04:13:19 PM
Absolutely love it!  :drool: :drool: That's almost exactly what I would be looking for. Let me ask you, what do you like about the serrated knife? I know that they can cut rope and cord better, but unless you do a lot of that, I'm not sure of what other value they add to EDC. I've always avoided them because I heard they are a pain to sharpen,  but I would like to expand my appreciation on their benefits for EDC.

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this.  It might be just my imagination, but the serrated blade feels sharper when doing slice-y versus choppy things.  Here is a really odd example:  do you ever have harder, callous-like skin around your fingernails?  The serrated blade just moves through that effortlessly and precisely, versus the plain blade that wants to push through it. (I have to do something while watching TV, so don't judge.). The serrated also does well with things like cardboard.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 04:25:36 PM
Having been EDC'ing since I built it, I have to say I am really happy with it.  I love having the screwdrivers with me all the time.  Loose door handles, battery compartments to open, opening some case to fix something, taking something apart to see its insides, or any kind of tinkering, this setup has worked very well for me.  I like that it is thinner than the larger CyberTechs.  I like having a serrated blade.  I don't mind not having a corkscrew/mini driver.  I do sometimes wish I had a better nail file, but at least I have one. I also don't mind not having the openers layer for the most part.  Once or twice I wanted a prying tool, but ultimately it was not necessary.  I did add one bit to the setup, which is a flat screwdriver tip, 4mm on one end and 2.5 or 3mm on the other.  It is an original Victorinox with ball retention.  It took the place of, if I recall, a hex bit.

Overall, I think this is a great tool combination for me.

D.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68