Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

June Pocket Rocket Challenge

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: June Pocket Rocket Challenge
Reply #1710 on: July 01, 2021, 04:02:48 AM
Thank you for putting this together, Barry. I really enjoyed my first challenge and am looking forward to future ones.

For the benefit of other newbie Knights out there like me, how do we put in for the badge?

I looked under Available Awards > Challenge and see many challenge badges, but not one for the Pocket Rocket Challenge.

Hi, Steve.

If I am not mistaken, we will be applying for "30 day challenge - 58, 65 and 74mm SAKs" as shown in the picture below:

You'd probably know this, here is the link for the application:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1711 on: July 01, 2021, 04:03:28 AM

This challenge should qualify you for:

(Image removed from quote.)

:2tu:
Haha...small world, miss you by a min or two.  :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1712 on: July 01, 2021, 04:20:39 AM
That's the one Comis!  Thanks guys, and glad you had fun Steve!
Barry

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #1713 on: July 01, 2021, 04:40:17 AM
Day 30!

On the last day of this challenge, finally it arrives: The Ambassador.
(Thank you Nix, you are the best enabler on MT.o)
This knife is great! The blade size, the weight... I will spend some time carriyng It.

This challenge was very funny for me!
I really like the 58mm series. They are the GTI of the SAK's
Thank you Barry for hosting!

(Ambassador, encircled by the pocket rocket team)

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1714 on: July 01, 2021, 04:52:50 AM
 :hatsoff:

Nice closing shot, Hevy.  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1715 on: July 01, 2021, 05:13:15 AM
 :iagree: :like:
Barry

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #1716 on: July 01, 2021, 05:34:49 AM

This challenge should qualify you for:

:2tu:
Hi, Steve.

If I am not mistaken, we will be applying for "30 day challenge - 58, 65 and 74mm SAKs" as shown in the picture below:

You'd probably know this, here is the link for the application:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html

Thank you, comis and Nix. Guess I was being a little too literal for the badge name.   :(

I'm all set and have applied for it.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #1717 on: July 01, 2021, 07:20:09 AM
Day 30!

On the last day of this challenge, finally it arrives: The Ambassador.
(Thank you Nix, you are the best enabler on MT.o)
This knife is great! The blade size, the weight... I will spend some time carriyng It.

This challenge was very funny for me!
I really like the 58mm series. They are the GTI of the SAK's
Thank you Barry for hosting!

(Ambassador, encircled by the pocket rocket team)(Image removed from quote.)

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

:hatsoff:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #1718 on: July 01, 2021, 07:35:05 AM
Excellent work, everyone! The calculator theme was an added bonus!

Thanks to Barry for getting the ball rolling!

Day 30 bonus

Time for a celebratory beer, with the Midnite Minichamp doing the opening honours. And a pic of all my pocket rockets together with a Wenger watch case opener branded for Omega and a Victorinox baker’s knife branded for Alipro to add some blue and green Alox loveliness!

:cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #1719 on: July 01, 2021, 07:35:49 AM
:ahhh Day 30 :ahhh

Well here we are, the end of the line. It's been a fun month - I've only done a small number of challenges in my short time here, but this has probably been the most enjoyable just for seeing the inventive ways people have been able to use the smaller SAKs.

As a mainly urban office dweller who needs to be wary about what he carries where, the 58mm line is definitely one I can get away with having on me and the Classic and Mini Champ have certainly come in handy for the majority of things I've needed to do. I've certainly come to appreciate them more and I'm now going to have to remember to take the Classic off my keyring next time I go abroad or to somewhere I'm likely to be searched. :think:

:cheers:

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #1720 on: July 01, 2021, 07:40:07 AM
Day 30:

Another busy day for the Esquire!

Beans to open for soaking....

The inevitable bit of garden twine to clip....

And I got to play Sir Galahad and rescue fair Mrs Nix from a fire breathing dragon inch worm that had dared to assault her cherished person....

Another good challenge nearly wrapped up here.

Like most of you, I found that the small 65mm knife did very well for most of my daily pocket knife tasks. There were several times when I needed a can opener. Fortunately the kitchen has one. There were a couple of time when a tool on a Gerber MP 400 was "needed". I wasn't carrying the MP400 on a regular basis, I just took it with me when I suspected I'd be able to use it. I could have carried a proper tool or two instead, but it was nice to use the MP400 a bit.

In the kitchen, dedicated kitchen knives or a food processor got used for a few jobs. I don't see this as a negative finding with regard to the 65mm. If I'm in my kitchen or garage, I'll have an appropriate tool close at hand.

Regardless, the number of times that the Esquire did come in handy was pretty remarkable. And I think that's where these knives really come into their own: they are always on hand and ready for those small surprise tasks. For me, I find that it is very easy to reach into a pocket and pull out the Esquire to use the scissors for a small task or the knife for a larger task. In my day-to-day life, there just aren't that many tasks that a small knife can't handle. It may not be the optimum tool for the job, but it will be capable.

Which brings me to the Compact. I started to think about how the tool set in the Compact and the Classic overlap quite a bit. The one tool that I really would have like to have had on hand during this challenge was a can opener. Yup, I used the kitchen can opener, but if this had not been a challenge and I had had the Compact in my pocket, I would have used the combo tool to open my cans. It is just easier (and more fun). This challenge has made me start to think of the Classic/Esquire/Ambassador as being smaller versions of the Compact. Or, perhaps, the Compact as being a really big Classic or Rambler with a can opener. And the Esquire just seemed to be missing a bit of horsepower during this challenge. Even if it was able to accomplish what I need, I missed the ergonomics of a bigger handle or the reach of a larger blade.

Because of this, I don't think the 58/65/74mm will be a real EDC choice for me. Sure, they get 80-90% of what I do done. But that Compact just seem more capable and more pleasant to use. This challenge has made me look at the Classic as being a good augmenting SAK. A SAK to be carried with another multitools. For example, I like the Vic Camper...but no scissors. Classic to the rescue. I think the combination of pliers based multitool and Classic would be fantastic. The Classic would manage 80% of the day's tasks because it is just easier to fish the Classic out of a pocket and use it. But the Gerber MP400 would be there to drive a Phillips, loosen a nut, or bend a wire.

Could it be a solo EDC tool? I think so, this challenge has demonstrated that well enough. Will it? I doubt it. Perhaps on some lazy days, but I think this challenge reaffirmed my fondness of the Compact more than anything else.   ;)

Addendum: for the record, I missed my Rambler's combo cap lifter/small Phillips driver tool....*** runs to check tally sheet ***....zero times.  ;)

Great pics  :like:

^-- where the cat sits

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1721 on: July 01, 2021, 08:20:45 AM

Clearly you have not seen my one and only tattoo......

Now...I don't think that the Classic is the #1 seller because it is the most popular EDC or most popular SAK secondary to some theoretical populist appreciation. I suspect that between all the challenge participants, we're responsible for 1/2 of awl Classic sales. And some of the other 8 billion people on the planet have picked up a few as well. They sell well because they are cheap, readily available, recognizable, innocuous, non-threatening, and easy to lose/replace/repeat. Which is no bad thing.  ;)

Wow Nix, just wow. That's commitment to your indifference  :rofl:

The Classic is all of those things but I'd bet for 9/10 people it's those ever so handy SAK scissors that make this a tool people will want to carry. This is not just a penknife. All of which is a very good thing  :iagree:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #1722 on: July 01, 2021, 08:22:26 AM
That TdeF Opinel is a fine looking thing Barry. I don't have an Opinel but maybe I should make an exception now  :like:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:32:01 AM by Fast Bill »
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1723 on: July 01, 2021, 01:49:46 PM
Badges awarded   :tu:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #1724 on: July 01, 2021, 02:13:38 PM
Many thanks, SteveC! :hatsoff:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #1725 on: July 01, 2021, 03:11:39 PM

Now...I don't think that the Classic is the #1 seller because it is the most popular EDC or most popular SAK secondary to some theoretical populist appreciation. I suspect that between all the challenge participants, we're responsible for 1/2 of awl Classic sales. And some of the other 8 billion people on the planet have picked up a few as well. They sell well because they are cheap, readily available, recognizable, innocuous, non-threatening, and easy to lose/replace/repeat. Which is no bad thing.  ;)

Nix, that is all the reasons the humble little classic is the most popular selling pocket knife on the planet. Yes, they are cheap, readily available, very recognizable, innocuous, non-threatening, and very easy to replace. Win-Win-Win for the consumer. But most importantly, its a win-win for the consumer that is not some sort of obsessed collector or pepper, or even enthusiastic accumulator.

Remember, its we, the obsessed fans that make up this and similar web sites. The Joe Average citizen going about his life in modern suburbia, or even in the big city, doesn't even carry any kind of pocket knife anymore. Look at all the old line knife companies like Schrade and Camillus that all went our of business. Even in the blue collar building trades, once a bastion of the Buck knife on the hip in its distinctive black pouch, is gone. Now they use folding utility knives with replaceable blades and pocket clips like the tactical knives.

But...for the office cubicle urban dweller or coffee bar employee, or car salesman, or supermarket check out worker, what do they need a pocket knife for? The brutal answer is; very little. BUT...that little three letter word...once in a while a knife/small scissors, Phillips screw driver, tweezers, or nail file is needed. Just once in a while. So...what do they do?

They buy the smallest, lightest, little knife that is readily available, cheap, innocuous, and non-threatening. You can even find them at Walmart for all of 11.95. The price of a lunch at a chain restaurant. For the Joe Average citizen that does recognize that they could find a light weight little pocket knife that is also cheap, innocuous, and readily available that also handles other jobs besides just cutting, the classic is really the only choice out there. It really is in a class by itself. Its the Low cost little multitool that will handle the old 'pen knife' role but also so much more. That screw on the fishing reel, the carb adjustment screw on a motor scooter, splinter in a finger or sticker in a dogs paw, or snipping a stray mustache or nose hair, or coupon from a magazine. Not to mention some juste twine for the tomato plants.

The little SAK classic is the 'pen knife' of our time. It has replaced the little one and two blade pen knives the men carried when I was a kid. All the men has the little pen knife, but they also has a keychain screw driver. The classic handles all that and more for the price of a lunch. And it is innocuous and cheap and available almost everywhere.

Its a win-win for the consumer. Not to mention Victorinox sales. Its the 21st century pen knife for the non enthusiast unwashed masses.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1726 on: July 01, 2021, 03:23:05 PM
 :iagree:   and I couldn't agree more.  :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1727 on: July 01, 2021, 03:25:32 PM
They're going fast my friend!  :cheers:
That TdeF Opinel is a fine looking thing Barry. I don't have an Opinel but maybe I should make an exception now  :like:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1728 on: July 01, 2021, 03:27:09 PM
Exactly!!
Barry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1729 on: July 01, 2021, 04:58:50 PM
same here, another great post from Carl. :tu:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #1730 on: July 01, 2021, 06:15:43 PM
thank you.jpg
* thank you.jpg (Filesize: 78.94 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #1731 on: July 01, 2021, 06:18:50 PM
1609028252508.jpg
* 1609028252508.jpg (Filesize: 142.8 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #1732 on: July 01, 2021, 06:24:49 PM
Badges awarded   :tu:

Cheers Steve  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #1733 on: July 01, 2021, 06:41:07 PM
Day 31?

OK, I know the challenge is over, but had to pass on that I was sitting at breakfast this morning and had an orange that just wouldn't peel by hand. I remembered the Mini Champ's cut and picker blade and thought why not? I'll give it a try.

Sure enough, it cut through the skin like a ... hot SAK through orange peel.   :)

Curiously enough, though SAKWiki still calls it the cut and picker blade, in the list of tools on the Mini Champ on Victorinox.com it's an orange peeler. Might be time to update the wiki?
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #1734 on: July 01, 2021, 08:49:07 PM
Congrats on the badges everyone!!

For my part, I believe I'm going to attach the Esquire to a zipper on my fly fishing pouch. After 30 days of using it,  I would think it would be right at home there. As a side note at lunch time yesterday ( final day of challenge ) I broke the toothpick. I just grinned as it has served fairly well these last few weeks.

Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1735 on: July 01, 2021, 08:50:14 PM
Day 31?

OK, I know the challenge is over, but had to pass on that I was sitting at breakfast this morning and had an orange that just wouldn't peel by hand. I remembered the Mini Champ's cut and picker blade and thought why not? I'll give it a try.

Sure enough, it cut through the skin like a ... hot SAK through orange peel.   :)

Curiously enough, though SAKWiki still calls it the cut and picker blade, in the list of tools on the Mini Champ on Victorinox.com it's an orange peeler. Might be time to update the wiki?

Day 31 entries always appreciated!  :tu:

I believe that tool started life as a pharmacy tool, hence "cut and picker". I guess contemporary users think of it as an orange peeler....or clam shell opener.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1736 on: July 01, 2021, 08:52:17 PM
Congrats on the badges everyone!!

For my part, I believe I'm going to attach the Esquire to a zipper on my fly fishing pouch. After 30 days of using it,  I would think it would be right at home there. As a side note at lunch time yesterday ( final day of challenge ) I broke the toothpick. I just grinned as it has served fairly well these last few weeks.

I keep mine in my pocket when wet wading with a fly rod. If I'm sporting waders, it goes on a breakaway neck lanyard.   :tu:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #1737 on: July 01, 2021, 11:19:44 PM

Day 31 entries always appreciated!  :tu:

I believe that tool started life as a pharmacy tool, hence "cut and picker". I guess contemporary users think of it as an orange peeler....or clam shell opener.  :D
I can't remember the last time I had a pill bottle stuffed with cotton filler.   :(

I have used it as a plastic clam shell packaging opener and it worked really well for that too.

Maybe the Wiki entry needs to be renamed "Odd-shaped Tool for Cutting Things"?   :dunno:
SAKs:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1738 on: July 01, 2021, 11:26:51 PM
 :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1739 on: July 02, 2021, 12:45:47 AM
Thanks Steve!