Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

June Pocket Rocket Challenge

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: June Pocket Rocket Challenge
Reply #60 on: May 23, 2021, 01:20:35 PM
Welcome aboard guys!
I'm officially in, got the approval from Mrs Geared to pick an Executive up (my first 74mm) so supplement the assortment of Classics  :salute:

1. Barry Rowland
2. pipedreams
3. MichaelGT83
4. Rizio Il Ghiro
5. Guibur
6. Ulzhan
7.  Fireman
8. Jud65
9. Sos24
10. tim00
11. comis
12. Nix
13. Hevy (CT-782)
14, Geared Forwards

And in the interest of science I have committed terrible atrocities to see if they summon the dark lord of Santos  :ahhh
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: May 23, 2021, 03:08:43 PM
I'm officially in, got the approval from Mrs Geared to pick an Executive up (my first 74mm) so supplement the assortment of Classics  :salute:

That is excellent!  The Executive is such a fun (not to mention handy) knife. I'm sorry they are discontinuing it. There are still a few available though. I almost picked up a reserve Ambassador a few days ago. I already have two.....but if they stop making them......is two one and one none?  :ahhh

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: May 23, 2021, 04:15:12 PM
Oooh, you are in luck!

When the challenge starts (01 June), carry your 58mm SAK every day for 30 days...

Thank you for the info, Nix. Interesting challenge.

When I was still traveling a lot for work and wore dress slacks, I carried only a 58mm. It got a lot of use and this challenge would have been pretty easy. But I don't travel now and wear mostly jeans so have tended to carry a 91mm on a suspension clip. I still carry the MiniChamp every day, but use it now just for small or fiddly stuff.

Let me think about this. Might be time to get back into the 58mm habit!

SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: May 23, 2021, 04:30:33 PM
 :iagree:

For a long time my EDC was a Classic and a Cadet. Sometimes a small folder in place of the Cadet, but the Classic (or a Rambler) was a constant for me. So easy to carry in  a low profile way.

When I was young, I thought the 58's were a sort of 'toy knife'. But after EDCing one for years and years I began to rely on them and never went anywhere without one. Still a habit with me. These small SAK challenges are a great reminder of how versatile and capable the 58's, 65's, and 74's really are.

Do join in and show us how it's done!   :tu:

(And, peeps, do pick up a 74mm while they are still available. Such great 'pen knives' and the sooner stocks run out, the less I'll be tempted to get another.   :rofl: )

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #64 on: May 23, 2021, 07:08:45 PM
I agree!  Classics really are tough little knives, and probably the sharpest thing this side of Opinel.  I have one Executive, and it's a joy to carry.  I use the small blade and scissors more that anything else on it, but I can understand why General Yeager had one.  It's a lot of tools in a very pocket friendly package.
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #65 on: May 23, 2021, 07:13:10 PM
Speaking of Executives and the 74mm, here are the Forum rules for this Challenge:
30 day challenge - 58, 65 and 74mm SAKs   
Start a new thread and post a photo daily of any SAK 74mm or smaller ( you can switch it up daily ) for thirty (30) consecutive days.
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: May 23, 2021, 08:34:24 PM
I agree!  Classics really are tough little knives, and probably the sharpest thing this side of Opinel.  I have one Executive, and it's a joy to carry.  I use the small blade and scissors more that anything else on it, but I can understand why General Yeager had one.  It's a lot of tools in a very pocket friendly package.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: May 23, 2021, 08:48:13 PM
That is excellent!  The Executive is such a fun (not to mention handy) knife. I'm sorry they are discontinuing it. There are still a few available though. I almost picked up a reserve Ambassador a few days ago. I already have two.....but if they stop making them......is two one and one none?  :ahhh

There's currently three or so left in stock on UK Amazon so I'm hoping it goes smoothly, if I could then I'd pick up a duplicate and an Ambassador but it's either that or get a Bond, Leatherman Bond.  :dunno:

I've never used a 58mm as a keychain knife I tend to prefer things with scales like that (or something I don't want to be worn to hell and back) to be a 5th pocket carry, goes well with a AAA light and a Leatherman Style PS  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: May 23, 2021, 08:54:12 PM

I've never used a 58mm as a keychain knife I tend to prefer things with scales like that (or something I don't want to be worn to hell and back) to be a 5th pocket carry.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: May 23, 2021, 09:20:19 PM
It's been a while since I did a challenge so count me in Barry!

1. Barry Rowland
2. pipedreams
3. MichaelGT83
4. Rizio Il Ghiro
5. Guibur
6. Ulzhan
7.  Fireman
8. Jud65
9. Sos24
10. tim00
11. comis
12. Nix
13. Hevy (CT-782)
14. Geared Forwards
15. Max Stone
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: May 23, 2021, 10:17:23 PM
I'll give it a shot, too. Be my first challenge since joining the forum.   :)

1. Barry Rowland
2. pipedreams
3. MichaelGT83
4. Rizio Il Ghiro
5. Guibur
6. Ulzhan
7.  Fireman
8. Jud65
9. Sos24
10. tim00
11. comis
12. Nix
13. Hevy (CT-782)
14. Geared Forwards
15. Max Stone
16. SteveP

A newb question - As it was his idea, does Barry start an official thread and we all add to it? Or do we each have our own thread for the month?

Looking forward to this.

Someone else had another post about a SwissChamp challenge this Fall. Might be fun too.

SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #71 on: May 23, 2021, 11:27:39 PM
You're in Steve!  Just waiting for June 1st :tu:
Great to have you Max!
Barry

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: May 23, 2021, 11:39:15 PM
Just ordered my Executive, it'll be here tomorrow  :salute:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: May 23, 2021, 11:58:18 PM
 :woohoo:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: May 24, 2021, 12:02:47 AM

A newb question - As it was his idea, does Barry start an official thread and we all add to it? Or do we each have our own thread for the month?

Steve, we'll awl just post our daily shots and comment in this thread ( Unless Barry is willing to pay for a fresh thread. ).

Because we'll awl be posting on top of each other from various time zones around the world, it is very helpful to label your official daily post with the day of the challenge. E.g. "Day 01: no uses." [photo here]

You'll see how it works once we get going. But in general there will be mayhem as we each post up new photos of our own and then make comments about other people's photos, uses, and thoughts. It is not unlike a small riot, but with better manners and better knives.   :D

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: May 24, 2021, 02:48:47 AM
Steve, we'll awl just post our daily shots and comment in this thread ( Unless Barry is willing to pay for a fresh thread. ).

Because we'll awl be posting on top of each other from various time zones around the world, it is very helpful to label your official daily post with the day of the challenge. E.g. "Day 01: no uses." [photo here]

You'll see how it works once we get going. But in general there will be mayhem as we each post up new photos of our own and then make comments about other people's photos, uses, and thoughts. It is not unlike a small riot, but with better manners and better knives.   :D

Thanks, Nix. I was hoping it would be one thread. That's the best way to get ideas from everyone.

A small (virtual) riot - perfect for during a pandemic.   ;)
SAKs:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #76 on: May 24, 2021, 02:02:45 PM
Thanks Nix!  :tu:

Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: May 24, 2021, 04:39:11 PM
I got the executive, I really like the form factor!

...Why did I wait for it to be discontinued to find this out  :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: May 24, 2021, 04:58:08 PM
I got the executive, I really like the form factor!

...Why did I wait for it to be discontinued to find this out  :facepalm:

My wallet lives in a state terror. It knows that there is a serious risk that I'll wake up in a panic one dark and stormy night and order every last Ambassador and Executive I can find on the 'net.

If you like the Executive.....you may just love the Ambassador. The Ambassador is a bit thinner and lighter: it only has scissors, nail tool, and knife.

I stashed a ferro tool (Fire Fly) in mine, in place of the toothpick, and squared up the inner edge of the nail tool to use as a striker for the ferro unit.

I might argue that the Executive is more fun, but the Ambassador is just that much easier to carry and is paried down to a minimal EDC knife in my book.  I really like this big knife in a small package.

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: May 24, 2021, 05:15:28 PM

My wallet lives in a state terror. It knows that there is a serious risk that I'll wake up in a panic one dark and stormy night and order every last Ambassador and Executive I can find on the 'net.

If you like the Executive.....you may just love the Ambassador. The Ambassador is a bit thinner and lighter: it only has scissors, nail tool, and knife.

(Image removed from quote.)

I stashed a ferro tool (Fire Fly) in mine, in place of the toothpick, and squared up the inner edge of the nail tool to use as a striker for the ferro unit.

I might argue that the Executive is more fun, but the Ambassador is just that much easier to carry and is paried down to a minimal EDC knife in my book.  I really like this big knife in a small package.

You're a bad man Nix, a bad man. The Ambassador is in stock, that's another £30 that might have to disappear at some point soon  :facepalm:

And I really want Fireflies but they're pricey, so you're pushing that rock off a cliff too, with a rop attached straight to my wallet's ankle  :oops:

Edit: Mrs Geared now also agrees that you're a bad man  :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: May 24, 2021, 06:28:42 PM
 :rofl:

Mrs Nix won't argue the point.

:rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: May 24, 2021, 06:34:00 PM
The Ambassador is in stock, that's another £30 that might have to disappear at some point soon.

:o  Only £30!   :o

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #83 on: May 24, 2021, 06:55:58 PM

You know this is the best rationale for the Ambassador I have yet heard. I’ve been struggling with my desire to like the 74mm (I really, really want to like them) but the toolset just doesn’t do it for me (no cap lifter). However, the size is perfect - Goldilocks perfect - much better than the 58mm. Then you make the point about minimal edc this connects with all the stuff I see about the Classic being the ultra light hikers no1 choice and the light dawns. Now all I need is another firefly (centre slot) and maybe a backup ambassador so I have 2 pairs of twinned 74s. You’re right Geared, Nix is a bad man…
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 07:10:11 PM
Nix is a bad man...

I'm searching for 74mm now...

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: May 24, 2021, 07:40:48 PM

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #86 on: May 24, 2021, 09:00:14 PM
Count me in with an Executive.
Cheers!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #87 on: May 25, 2021, 12:40:07 AM
This is going to be fun!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: May 25, 2021, 05:07:20 PM
Nix is a bad man...

I'm searching for 74mm now...

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Nix is a very bad man!

There  I was, happy going down the road for over 20 years with my 58mm classic on my keyring. That little itty bitty, teeny tiny SAK did my bidding for a couple of decades where I didn't know any better. I was happy in my ignorance of the 74mm. The executive was a strange beast to me, too small for a real EDC, yet  just enough too big to go on the keyring like the classic. Cost about three times what mt little classic from Walmart did. I was very happy with my little classic.

But then the fly in the ointment. The snake in the garden of Eden of teeny Sakdom. Nix comes along with a gifted executive and I get drugged by the lotus, like one of Odysseus's men. Once I partook of the 74mm lotus, I  became beguiled by it. I abandoned the loyal little classic, and for over two years was in the drugged bliss of the 74mm lotus.

Only recently, driven by sheer nostalgia started by Barry, I looked back on the classic, and for old times sake snuck it back in my jeans coin pocket for a little fling. The shame of it! I felt like I was cheating with an old flame. I opened my mail with it, opened an Amazon box that contained the dog ramp for our Australian Sheppard to easily get on and off the bed with, cut jute twine for the pepper plants out back, opened some of the accused plastic blister packages that defy tooth and nail and small C4 charges. It filed a chipped nail. I had forgot what an efficient little pocket tool it was.

I'm glad Barry started this thread. I think the little 58's are the under appreciated models of the SAK line. Because of my long time obsession with small, and how small can an object be and still work at its intended job, I've put the classic back in my coin pocket and it takes turns with the executive. Its a semi peaceful coexistence, and both are very capable daily pocket companions. The executive has the edge, (pun intended) of a slightly longer blade that can cut a sandwich in half. But I like the SD tip on the classic nail file better for small Phillips screws and undoing knots in things. I still wish the executive orange peeler was replaced by a combo tool.

I feel the little SAK's are like the derringers of olden days. A very small and easy to carry item that will do in a pinch.

Thank you, Barry, for starting a challenge of just the little guys.

(I wonder of sales figures would show the classic as the most popular SAK world wide?)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:12:53 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: May 25, 2021, 05:23:09 PM

(I wonder of sales figures would show the classic as the most popular SAK world wide?)
From my recent reading, I think there is an interview from Ibach saying Classic indeed is the most popular models worldwide.  And I won't from surprise more than a few are contributed by you and your writings over the years. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%