Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to remove black rust (?) caused by vinegar

Offline Bamba

How to remove black rust (?) caused by vinegar
on: April 14, 2021, 11:15:28 PM
Hello folks!

So, I thought it would be a good idea to soak my alox lumberjack in vinegar (%5) for a few hours (because I was not happy with the w&t after the normal washing and oiling).
Ended up overnight in the acid...

What a mistake. :facepalm:

It developed this black patina you can see under the blade tip and on the combo tool (mostly on inner edge) and many other spots on the knife.
I immediately washed and soaked it in baking soda, then dried it and sprayed with WD40. I left the WD40 on for 3 days, and then tried to rub the black stains off with microfiber towel. It did nothing. :cry:

What exactly is this black thing? Any idea on how to remove it?

Bamba
lumberjack.jpg
* lumberjack.jpg (Filesize: 190.85 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: How to remove black rust (?) caused by vinegar
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 04:16:43 AM
I’d try almost any metal polish.  :dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:38:07 AM
It developed this black patina...

You've answered your own question.  It is starting to patina, forming a thin layer of iron oxide (rust), which can actually range in color from red to yellow to brown to black, depending on the conditions under which it develops.  Stainless steel "stains less", but is not immune to rust, especially when chemicals or salt water are involved.  The good news, as kamakiri notes, is that you should be able to polish it out with some metal polish.

Offline Bamba

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 08:52:06 AM
Thank you guys,

I'll try metal polish.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:44 PM
Flitz
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Bamba

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 03:05:39 PM
Flitz

Nice to get a reply from a local fellow  :cheers:
Can you advise about buying Flitz in Israel, or a good alternative available locally.

Toda,
Bamba

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 04:11:55 PM
Nice to get a reply from a local fellow  :cheers:
Can you advise about buying Flitz in Israel, or a good alternative available locally.

Toda,
Bamba

You can get it easily from Amazon. They ship it out here. Or if you're in Jerusalem feel free to come round and use some, it only takes a tiny amount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBPGVL6
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 12:42:28 AM
Those stains look like the battery acid stains I got on one of my knives a couple of weeks ago. I found Brasso useless. I’ve mostly removed it using sandpaper - 600 grit followed by 1000 grit. I’ll finish it with 2000 grit when I get some and live with a little lustre as the knife is a long time user anyway,
Rambler

Offline Bamba

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 10:18:08 AM
You can get it easily from Amazon. They ship it out here. Or if you're in Jerusalem feel free to come round and use some, it only takes a tiny amount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBPGVL6

Thanks, added to cart...

Offline Bamba

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:26:49 AM
Those stains look like the battery acid stains I got on one of my knives a couple of weeks ago. I found Brasso useless. I’ve mostly removed it using sandpaper - 600 grit followed by 1000 grit. I’ll finish it with 2000 grit when I get some and live with a little lustre as the knife is a long time user anyway,

:-\
Mine is also a user, my usual pocket edc actually. Would be crazy expensive to get a new one so I should be more careful with the one I have.
I guess if the Flitz doesn't work I'll hand it over to a pro knife shop.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:36 PM
:-\
Mine is also a user, my usual pocket edc actually. Would be crazy expensive to get a new one so I should be more careful with the one I have.
I guess if the Flitz doesn't work I'll hand it over to a pro knife shop.

The flitz should work fine, here it is removing vinegar stains from carbon steel, your Victorinox is stainless so it will come off a lot easier. I don't know of any 'pro' knife shops in the country to be honest, certainly none who would do any better than you can with your flitz.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%