Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fanning tools for display 967

No Life Club Posts: 1,313 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Fanning tools for display
« on: March 15, 2021, 05:58:05 AM »
 :climber:

So basically, I've noticed there are some good, better and best ways to display knives and multi-tools for eye-catching attention. This is good when you're trying to sell, display, or demonstrate the knife or tool in question.

I've found with single blade folders it's usually best to present them in the "7" position.... I'll demonstrate. For multi-blade knives and SAKs, I find the fan or peacock pattern usually works best, but this does depend on the number of blades and tools, and their distribution around the chassis. For plier or scissor-based multi-tools, I think the "W" formation is usually best. I'm not sure I have any pics of the W handy. Feel free to post your own!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:03:19 AM by Jim the Brave »

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 67,943
Re: Fanning tools for display
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
I do like the look of some tools fanned :salute: Sometimes closed or completely open is great as well :cheers: Depends on the tool and the mood I am in for a certain pic as well :think:

Good points though :salute: :like:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »
My favorite for fanning is the :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D

but it isn't to shabby for completely closed either ;)

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,123 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
I always fan my tools in such a way so that only one is stressing the backspring. :dwts:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 03:53:48 PM »
I usually stress the backspring to much when fanning SAKs :oops:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 25,750
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 04:20:01 PM »
Is there a "wrong" way to display the BO MINI  :drool:

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
Maybe not  :think: :D
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 04:47:07 PM »
 :tu:.  I like all the ways knives and tools are photographed.  I think whats important is in-focus photos. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 10:38:12 PM »
 :iagree: and sometimes after I take, edit and post a pic, I notice they are blurry  :facepalm: They look fine on my phone screen unless I zoom in and that is usually when I notice or when I see a pic of mine on my computer screen :oops:
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 54,894
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 11:03:51 PM »
:iagree: and sometimes after I take, edit and post a pic, I notice they are blurry  :facepalm: They look fine on my phone screen unless I zoom in and that is usually when I notice or when I see a pic of mine on my computer screen :oops:

That's why I always take multiple shots   :tu:
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 11:52:10 PM »
I do too but delete them after picking the best (or at least what I think is the best ::) ) and then am stuck with the blurry one  :ahhh
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 02:43:10 AM »
:tu:.  I like all the ways knives and tools are photographed.  I think whats important is in-focus photos.

Very good point, Aloha. Unfortunately, my camera is not that great and it blurs a good bit. I hope to replace it before long. The phone has served me well for 3 years, especially in the phone/text/data sense, but not so great in the photo/video department. It's some kind of LG....might have to concentrate more on the photo side of things next time around.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 02:44:50 AM »
I always fan my tools in such a way so that only one is stressing the backspring. :dwts:

Maybe I should pay more attention to that, but honestly, did you ever wear one out or break one?  :think:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,123 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
Maybe I should pay more attention to that, but honestly, did you ever wear one out or break one?  :think:
Nope, but I've heard stories. :ahhh

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,581
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »

I own a couple of SAKs that were "fanned" for years in a display cabinet in the store where I bought them on which you can definitely feel that the back springs have weakened, especially if you compare them with the same SAK that has been stored in its box.

I only buy a "fanned" tool when it's the last one that they have in stock, or when I already bought the one or two which were stored in their box , but like it so much that I even want the fanned displayed one... (I can't help myself, when I find an older SAK/tool of which they have more than one in stock,  I tend to buy all of them  ::)).

Needles to say that al of my SAKs/tools are stored nicely in a closed position  ;).

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 01:52:49 PM »
I own a couple of SAKs that were "fanned" for years in a display cabinet in the store where I bought them on which you can definitely feel that the back springs have weakened, especially if you compare them with the same SAK that has been stored in its box.

I only buy a "fanned" tool when it's the last one that they have in stock, or when I already bought the one or two which were stored in their box , but like it so much that I even want the fanned displayed one... (I can't help myself, when I find an older SAK/tool of which they have more than one in stock,  I tend to buy all of them  ::)).

Needles to say that al of my SAKs/tools are stored nicely in a closed position  ;).

That makes sense. I wasn't really thinking about leaving them on long term display.....I guess that does happen when they are displayed in stores where they are sold new. For me, I buy and sell used knives, and if I have a knife on display more than a month, I'm doing something wrong!  ;)

But for photos, which is my chief time of fanning a tool, I stand by my opinions of looks. To me it is a very temporary thing--they're hardly fanned for more than 5 minutes, then closed back up for storage.

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,109 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 05:09:11 PM »
I have a small case locking knife that had very weak spring. The knife felt and looked new, so I wondered why it felt weak... Then I bought the same knife in a clamshell package and realised that the reason for the weakness was that in its package it is stored/displayed opened at 90 degrees...

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »
A clean knife is always a great thing too.  I like to take pictures with the knife open so the potential buyer can see into the knife.  A moment fanned wont hurt the knife. 

Esse Quam Videri
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,581
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 05:38:49 PM »
A clean knife is always a great thing too.  I like to take pictures with the knife open so the potential buyer can see into the knife.  A moment fanned wont hurt the knife.

:iagree:

An in-focus pic of a clean knife is what's most important.

And if you fan a tool for a couple of minutes to take some pics, it won't do any harm, I do that myself.  But doing so for a longer period for display purposes, that's a big no no in my book.
No Life Club Posts: 2,864
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
It's worth noting that the official Victorinox shops display especially made SAKs for fanning, The tangs have additional stops built in to avoid accidental closure and stress on the backspring. 

Interesting points all around though.... There seem to be certain aesthetically pleasing patterns, some because of symmetry and balance... but I suspect that some may give us a subconscious feeling of "not broken". 

When clocks are on display for sales and advertising, they are often set at 10:10 because it is symmetrical and "not broken" even though you haven't actually looked at the time.  If you saw a clock that had the minute hand at  "10" (really the 2), and the hour hand just a hair below the 9... it apparently quickly appears broken to the viewer (and it is).

Just some food for thought. 
 :nothingtoadd:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,406
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 06:23:45 PM »
I do too but delete them after picking the best (or at least what I think is the best ::) ) and then am stuck with the blurry one  :ahhh
For cell phone photography, sometimes it is the minimum focusing distance that is messing up the photo(too close to the object), and depending on what kind of photo you'd like to make, the closer you are to the object, more likely the background/further part of the tool maybe blurred out.  So for cell phone photo, one trick I'd always use is to take half a step back and zoom in.

I too have similar experience, and did rescue a few vintage SAKs from display window.  Some must have been fanned for more than 10-20 years, and the spring was obviously weaken.
Having said that, most SAKs do have good spring tempering/hardness and design, such that it's pretty rare to see the backspring broken due to fanning of tools.

However, I did hear story about traditional knives where fanning out of all the blades may cause unnecessary stress to the backspring and may even break the backspring when you are doing it.  I think it is more likely the case especially when the backspring is harden to higher RC and they could be more 'brittle' to break.

Please support and donate to the forum and get a MTO 15th anniversary free magnet!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2021, 02:13:00 AM »
Good points, everybody!

:climber:

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2021, 04:12:06 PM »
For cell phone photography, sometimes it is the minimum focusing distance that is messing up the photo(too close to the object), and depending on what kind of photo you'd like to make, the closer you are to the object, more likely the background/further part of the tool maybe blurred out.  So for cell phone photo, one trick I'd always use is to take half a step back and zoom in.

I have done this with good results but usually just take a tool or knife out and snap a few quick pics and never think to do that ::) :oops: :D
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 03:26:13 PM »
I have done this with good results but usually just take a tool or knife out and snap a few quick pics and never think to do that ::) :oops: :D

I tried that with mine and it didn't seem to help.  :dunno:

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »
It will also depend on the camera :salute: I have a flagship Samsung phone and they are suppose to have some of the best cameras on a smartphone. I have an S20+ and it takes awesome pics but sometimes focuses on different parts of the screen than I want it to (even if I click on where I want it to focus) otherwise I am very happy with it as a camera  :tu: :like: :like:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,465 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 11:03:16 PM »
I can remember a time when I used to take group fanned shots.  :dd:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 01:57:10 AM »
I remember that as well :dd: :D
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,465 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 02:17:26 AM »
Mind you, I was a bit unhinged back then...

If you don't believe me, here is a photo taken back in January of 2010.  :rofl:

IMG_3562A by Chako, on Flickr

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 03:43:15 AM »
 :rofl:
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 02:43:04 PM »
 :like: