Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Everything Nail Nick

00 Offline SgtTowser

Everything Nail Nick
on: March 16, 2021, 04:18:25 PM
It all starts with the nick.

Well...the nail nick and the nail overhang.

For example most tools deploy by nick on the side, but some deploy by nail overhang at the end.

These are the analog start links on your SAK Analog LOS (Life Operating System).

First question: has there ever been a long pull nick on a SAK?

Second question: for nail chewers, and persons with crackable nails, has anyone tried adhesive carbon fiber finger nail gain of function add ins?

Third question: why did SAKs move away from the early studs used to open cap lifter tools? Would anyone like them to come back?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Everything Nail Nick
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 05:13:04 PM
Someone may come along and prove me wrong, but I am not aware of any SAKs being made with long nail pulls.

In terms of having trouble opening SAKs with fingernails, this isn’t an issue I’ve personally had, and I note that the pull on SAKs is usually what I would rate as light to medium, so I don’t think it is a problem for most.  The only issues I have heard of are folks that have brittle nails due to chemotherapy or some other medical issue, or those who open and close many tools a day (e.g. QC checker at Victorinox factory), and then I think the most common solution is to use a knife pick.

Moving from studs to nicks was perhaps a cost saving move.  I don’t see any real advantage of the studs.  On many knives, a thumb stud allows the knife to be OHO, but I think the this would be tough to do with just one’s thumb on a slip joint, whether there is a thumb stub or not.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 05:44:02 PM
No thumb studs on SAKs. Have one on a standard 4 blade utility/camping knife and it is next to impossible to open. I find the nail nick pulls work just fine with a light to medium pull weight. I do wish Vic would make them deeper; easier to grip. I've used a Dremel cutting wheel to deepen a couple of my SAKs.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 06:03:43 PM
The closest I've seen with what I thought was a long nail nick was on the Prince.
But it's probably not considered a nail nick at all.   :think:
prince.jpg
* prince.jpg (Filesize: 76.08 KB)
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 08:13:03 PM
The closest I've seen with what I thought was a long nail nick was on the Prince.
But it's probably not considered a nail nick at all.   :think:

I have always wondered what the function of the long troughs on the Prince are? Do you know?

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:38 PM
Someone may come along and prove me wrong, but I am not aware of any SAKs being made with long nail pulls.

In terms of having trouble opening SAKs with fingernails, this isn’t an issue I’ve personally had, and I note that the pull on SAKs is usually what I would rate as light to medium, so I don’t think it is a problem for most.  The only issues I have heard of are folks that have brittle nails due to chemotherapy or some other medical issue, or those who open and close many tools a day (e.g. QC checker at Victorinox factory), and then I think the most common solution is to use a knife pick.

Moving from studs to nicks was perhaps a cost saving move.  I don’t see any real advantage of the studs.  On many knives, a thumb stud allows the knife to be OHO, but I think the this would be tough to do with just one’s thumb on a slip joint, whether there is a thumb stub or not.

Makes sense about pull power.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 08:18:32 PM

For example most tools deploy by nick on the side, but some deploy by nail overhang at the end.

These are the analog start links on your SAK Analog LOS (Life Operating System).

Second question: for nail chewers, and persons with crackable nails, has anyone tried adhesive carbon fiber finger nail gain of function add ins?

Third question: why did SAKs move away from the early studs used to open cap lifter tools? Would anyone like them to come back?

Being a guitar player and a knife nut with weak fingernails. I use superglue to reinforce my thumbnails. It works really well by applying to the first 1/8" at the tip of the nail. Apply a drop and smooth out with the tip of the applicator >let dry >apply again if you want to build thickness.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 08:23:33 PM
No thumb studs on SAKs. Have one on a standard 4 blade utility/camping knife and it is next to impossible to open. I find the nail nick pulls work just fine with a light to medium pull weight. I do wish Vic would make them deeper; easier to grip. I've used a Dremel cutting wheel to deepen a couple of my SAKs.
Rich

Do you know if the early 1950s SAKs that had studs on the cap lifter tool were for one- or two-handed opening? I have not handled one myself?

Old French Pradels I have handled were pretty tough to open with one hand, as you suggest from your experience.

Also did you have any luck deepening the nick with your ddremel? Or would u advise against.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 09:32:37 PM

Also did you have any luck deepening the nick with your dremel? Or would u advise against.

Yes, it worked quite well. Have to be very careful as the dremel tool tends to walk. I clamped my SAKs to the workbench and used two hands to guide/steady the dremel. Might want to practice on a piece of scrap metal first. I've a fair amount of experience in doing fine work with my Dremel.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 10:13:10 PM

Some of the old wood saws were cut long and ran through the tip of the tool. Late ‘40s to early ‘50s.

You mean on the can opener?  I have a few, but have never tried any on an actual can. But I wouldn’t want to see that opener returned or the stud through the liner stamped and bent like they are...for any tool.

Just tried it and I can open it with one hand using a bit of dexterity, but I still would not consider them to be one hand opening. Maybe a lefty could do it ‘normally’ on that CO.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 01:38:27 AM

Good thoughts, as usual

I haven't noticed a long pull on a SAK.... and I awlways notice them on traditional knives, because I like them.   

I haven't tried gain of function add ons... but I have been fussing with my Bantam Combo tool for a half-hour, and notice that if I pivot my thumb just so, I can get a much better purchase on the nick.

I haven't seen a can opener thumb stud on a SAK, but I have handled one on a scout knife.  I felt that it wasn't as good as a nail nick... maybe because the tool is shorter, it was harder to open.... or maybe because it was older. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%