Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to fix off center pliers on a multitool

Offline mikekoz

How to fix off center pliers on a multitool
on: March 21, 2021, 12:04:07 AM
   I just received a "cheap and cheerful" multitool that  actually seems like a really good one for the price I paid ($10.00), but it has one flaw. The pliers are off center. I have attached a photo. Amazon quickly sent me a replacement, but it is the same way. I know it is not off by much, but it seems to me this could affect its ability to cut wire. I did a few tests with some thin wire and it seemed to do OK, but I am thinking if I can get the pliers straightened, it would cut much better. Not sure how much this will affect its ability to grip. Has anybody had any luck fixing a problem like this? I am not going to bother getting another one sent to me. Thanks in advance for any help anybody can provide!
Crooked Pliers010.jpg
* Crooked Pliers010.jpg (Filesize: 58.55 KB)

Offline mikekoz

Re: How to fix off center pliers on a multitool
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 03:14:25 PM
So nobody has ever seen this before? I will have to admit, I have been buying multitools for years from prices ranging from $6.00 to $150.00 and have never seen it myself! I may try manually bending them and see what happens. If they break I am only out $10.00.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 04:10:01 PM
I have seen it but it is usually with a second hand MT and it is has play in the pliers where they will line up but wobble that much or more never in plier heads that are tight :think: Not sure how to fix that because it seems to be a problem when they cast it :dunno: bending it might or might not break it but would surely weaken it :ahhh Hope you can find a fix that lasts for you though :salute:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 05:38:41 PM
Since you say it cuts wire decently, why not grind both sides until they're even? I know it's just cosmetic and would make it a true needle nose but, as you said, it's a $10 tool.  :dunno:

Also, and as Poncho stated, trying to bend it will weaken the pliers, if not break them.

Anyway, please keeps us posted as results come in! :tu: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD