Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK classic scissor to 91/93mm question

Offline Desktoptinker

• New User
SAK classic scissor to 91/93mm question
on: November 02, 2022, 06:11:55 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had managed to add the scissors from a classic into a 91 or 93mm knife? I realise there's probably not enough material to just enlarge the scissor pivot hole and it might be tricky finding a spot to put them. I thought potentially in the same layer as the main blade, or possibly on the back by making a new end pivot?
Thanks.

Offline ComboTool

Re: SAK classic scissor to 91/93mm question
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 10:30:40 PM
Several people have used 58mm tools as backspring tools in 84/91/111mm mods, see for example here. I don't think I've ever seen them used in a 93mm frame but please let us know if you try it.

Offline Desktoptinker

• New User
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 02:08:01 PM
Ah great that's the sort of thing I was looking for, although maybe a bit awkward to use. I tend to have an alox classic on my keyring and a compact in my pocket but a waiter with 58mm scissor mod and plus scales could be what i'm looking for. I saw someone added a Quattro into some scales, I wonder if there would be room for some scissors instead  :think: Actually a classic without scales isn't far off the thickness of celedor scales, maybe I could just stick one on the side and 3d print a scale to fit and not worry about drilling and peening.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 04:52:56 AM
Heres a shot of my “84 mm ambassador”. Not miserable to use, but can certainly be a bit awkward. It is a cool single layer to have and weighs just about nothing in the pocket. 

I think fitting the scissors into the scales like the quatro will be tough due to the length and width, maybe not impossible though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 05:13:47 AM by Enginears »

Offline Desktoptinker

• New User
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 12:45:55 PM
Thanks Engineers. Did you consider trying to make a new pivot point so the scissors open the other way? I guess there might not be enough liner material at the rounded end  :dunno:

us Offline Enginears

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 11:51:48 PM
I had not really thought about it, but one of the only back tools that pivots from the end was the LNF. If you study the spring for that, the back end pivot was possible because there was no top tool on that side. I am crunching the physics in my head and cannot think of a way to make it happen with a blade layer spring that usually has a tool in both positions on top. To get the spring tension going the right direction you would need room to have a split like on the LMF scissor spring. Here is an 84mm setup just for visualization. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%