Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ex employee of Leatherman tool 97-2002

Offline ToolAssembly

Re: Ex employee of Leatherman tool 97-2002
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 01:23:04 AM
I don't think there was a problem manufacturing, machine adjusting. Interchanging  grinding trays replacing them with one on the shelf to assemble a different tool or component.There was room for punch press dies, reasonably quickly interchangeability. I think with sales projections the newness of a new tool helps sell a lot at one time and then it dies out. Especially at Christmas time. Opening of hunting season. If you notice the date in your handle was the date that steel was cut, formed and date stamped in a 2 stage process. Then heat treating takes 2 days.that handle could sit in a tub for a month or get shuffled to assembly when a tub is filled immediately.STAT. Depends on the need. tools could sit in the conditioned warehouse in boxes of 60 to 180 per box. At a 4500 lb pallet. assembled, For 8 months to 2 yrs.I did see lifting hooks on the assembly line beams, unmount from the tables. lift the entire assembly line with all its clamps, trays and machines and set it on a shelf. I don't think that worked too well for some reason. Shelf space to store it was tight. I'd like to see the pst2 come back. OH.. All of the painted and wood grain was vendored out then returned to building, QA'd then to assembly.
1 handle side of my PST is old looking inside and the other side is clean with the date stamp. Obviously manufactured two different times.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 03:00:01 AM
I think, somewhere, I still have a Leatherman tool I purchased new around 1998 or 1999. Within a year or so, I broke the pliers (snapped one jaw right off). I don't remember now how I did it, but I was evidently trying to use it like a pair of channel-locks when it really wasn't rated for what I was asking from it. I heard I could send it back to the factory for repair, but I never did it. I'm not sure if I still have it somewhere in my old stuff in storage or not.

:multi:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Offline chris777

Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 07:52:58 AM
I haven't done my research so forgive me if i have my timeline wrong or something.
I was introduced to the line by an OG Wave I got "new" from the flea market.
I had originally gotten some gerber MT and it was alright. but the wave really impressed me.   
Now as I am sure others have said that they felt quality had slipped a little into the 2nd generation version.
Well a few years back I scored a pair of original PST's  from a pawn shop, and while yes I agree the handle design has its issues And the tool set overall was decent. I was absolutely Dumbstruck at how meticulous the the file was. I was also introduced to the Diamond file of the wave, that I later learned it inherited from the PST 2 along with its scissors. But the original PST file man oh man that tool was and still is one of the finest examples of tooling I have ever seen.

I wish every tool could be made so well.

I also noticed that it absolutely vanished after the original PST.

Any idea why?

and what were they thinking?

that file alone at least for me brings the   PST up into my most searched for tools when I look around Flea markets and pawn shops for used ones.                                                                                                                                                           

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 08:27:44 AM
I haven't done my research so forgive me if i have my timeline wrong or something.
I had originally gotten some gerber MT and it was alright. but the wave really impressed me.   
Now as I am sure others have said that they felt quality had slipped a little into the 2nd generation version.
Well a few years back I scored a pair of original PST's  from a pawn shop, and while yes I agree the handle design has its issues And the tool set overall was decent. I was absolutely Dumbstruck at how meticulous the the file was. I was also introduced to the Diamond file of the wave, that I later learned it inherited from the PST 2 along with its scissors. But the original PST file man oh man that tool was and still is one of the finest examples of tooling I have ever seen.

Any idea why?

that file alone at least for me brings the   PST up into my most searched for tools when I look around Flea markets and pawn shops for used ones.                                                                                                                                                           

1 handle side of my PST is old looking inside and the other side is clean with the date stamp. Obviously manufactured two different times.
that slot was intended for sharpening your fish hooks. Living by the Columbia River I would assemble swing shift. And sleeping very little I would go sturgeon fishing b4 work...Being Canadian steel shipped to USA. File was cut and ground in house, then shipped to Switzerland to get the diamond dust texture, yes this was the most expensive component. they removed the slot because the texturing wouldn't get down in the v groove quite right and a lot of tools were coming back to Leatherman for a replacement at an overhead cost. they had to be scrapped. So it became a flat diamind dust file. The tolerances in the jaw improved between the PST and the PST2, PST had a wiggle looseness occasionally.Tightening this was done by pin and hammer on a flat anvil. in the jaw hinge you may see what may appear as a pit mark. also if you notice the Philips component does not look the same, PST has a short nail breaker, a special grabber tool during inspection was designed to help pull the component out of the handle by the inspector. where as the pst2 has a longer oval nail slot and tighter toleranced jaw. Often though with the tighter jaw tolerances came jaw stick. The sloped cutting portion of the jaw for wire cutting had to be filed with the diamond file, a series of strokes from The cutting base to cutting edge until the jaw closed freely. Overall I liked both tools and still do.

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 08:54:03 AM

Any idea why?

The wave, oh you had to bring that one up, well, it had it's issues from the get-go, the textured end caps would have to be sorted because some of them were burned brown, scrap. After assembly the wave handle would not line up with the other side and was bent between 2 spaced bars. Such as opening up a vice clamp inserting the handle and pulling on the other one. What the cause of this was the alignment pin hole at the jaw end, having to be punched with a punch press. Misalignment was common. very common. Now for the large oval screws.. (connecting the handle to the jaw)-they we're ground smoothe at the grinder, abrasive synthetic wheel.White. some operators were better at it than others and you may see an overgrind or under grind, even a tad bit of browning from heat. It was determined that the outside had a sharp raised burr. Sometimes the operator would turn too much into the wheel and touch the handle. Tool would have to go to " new tool repair, can't be brushed so handle had to be replaced in most cases. the word was hurry up and get them done we have other things to do. Other issues was components sticking to each other, had to be bent within the tool,, jaw lobe angle, caused a floppy handle. Jaw scrapped, could not be fixed. Handle over stamped, misaligned, pushed over, too narrow, oh and for some reason the wave handle had a lot of pits. We determined that there was a certain size that was acceptable and those that were too ugly had to be scrapped. Everybody was on high alert for quality control issues.

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 09:09:15 AM
The wave, oh you had to bring that one up, well, it had it's issues from the get-go, the textured end caps would have to be sorted because some of them were burned brown, scrap. After assembly the wave handle would not line up with the other side and was bent between 2 spaced bars. Such as opening up a vice clamp inserting the handle and pulling on the other one. What the cause of this was the alignment pin hole at the jaw end, having to be punched with a punch press. Misalignment was common. very common. Now for the large oval screws.. (connecting the handle to the jaw)-they we're ground smoothe at the grinder, abrasive synthetic wheel.White. some operators were better at it than others and you may see an overgrind or under grind, even a tad bit of browning from heat. It was determined that the outside had a sharp raised burr. Sometimes the operator would turn too much into the wheel and touch the handle. Tool would have to go to " new tool repair, can't be brushed so handle had to be replaced in most cases. the word was hurry up and get them done we have other things to do. Other issues was components sticking to each other, had to be bent within the tool,, jaw lobe angle, caused a floppy handle. Jaw scrapped, could not be fixed. Handle over stamped, misaligned, pushed over, too narrow, oh and for some reason the wave handle had a lot of pits. We determined that there was a certain size that was acceptable and those that were too ugly had to be scrapped. Everybody was on high alert for quality control issues.
the crunch had same issues with burred edge on handle/jaw screw pins, there may be some gouging, browning from heat. If you have one that's perfectly evenly ground smoothe.. that may have been 1 I worked, I was meticulous.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 03:37:44 PM
The OG Wave had flaws but over the timeline of the tool it became very good in terms of Quality :salute: some of the worst ones back then are better than some of the ones they send out the door now unfortunately  :-\

Love hearing all these stories from someone that was on the inside :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 19, 2021, 04:21:28 PM
Been a great read so far.  Thank you for sharing these stories with us. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #38 on: March 19, 2021, 06:46:53 PM
Been a great read so far.  Thank you for sharing these stories with us.
you're welcome! It certainly answers a lot of questions, all manufacturing has its pros and cons to get that product made. It's really strange one of the guys from tool repair of course, we're all allowed to do a lottery or a group lottery. Won 16 million,  shared with 4 employees.He stuck around for another year, pride..
 It came in a perfect time because a couple of his children were in a serious accident and the medical bills were huge. He was the best tool repair person i ever witnessed.

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #39 on: March 19, 2021, 07:03:18 PM
The OG Wave had flaws but over the timeline of the tool it became very good in terms of Quality :salute: some of the worst ones back then are better than some of the ones they send out the door now unfortunately  :-\

Love hearing all these stories from someone that was on the inside :like:
this is what a brand new unused unscathed, pitless ST200 looks like, date code 0701. Employees had choice of sheath type, engraving style, for all tools but no boxes were available.
GIF_20210319_105804.jpg
* GIF_20210319_105804.jpg (Filesize: 92.95 KB)

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #40 on: March 19, 2021, 07:27:37 PM
I'm learning The forum.. please bear with me.

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #41 on: March 19, 2021, 08:13:16 PM
I think, somewhere, I still have a Leatherman tool I purchased new around 1998 or 1999. Within a year or so, I broke the pliers (snapped one jaw right off). I don't remember now how I did it, but I was evidently trying to use it like a pair of channel-locks when it really wasn't rated for what I was asking from it. I heard I could send it back to the factory for repair, but I never did it. I'm not sure if I still have it somewhere in my old stuff in storage or not.

:multi:
during the coining process, that is where the jaw half is slammed streight in a punch press die to tolerances. Without this process there would be jaw sticking at the cutter edge after the two jaw halves were joined with the pivot assembly. Since the Jaws are sand casted. (You can see the parting lines at the jaw cam lobe) when I would pull one out of a 50 lb box sometimes it had a flaw where I could take my fingers and break the jaw half.  Coining 12,000 pieces a day... You got a stressed jaw that was not caught by QA. It is possible to break the jaw if you're tough enough wrenchin on somethin..

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: March 19, 2021, 08:33:58 PM
this is what a brand new unused unscathed, pitless ST200 looks like, date code 0701. Employees had choice of sheath type, engraving style, for all tools but no boxes were available.

Looks awesome  :dd: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 19, 2021, 09:18:22 PM
I can say from my experience and usage that I'm very proud to own and use a Leatherman Charge TTi every day for work.  I know there are issues and I've certainly been upset and critical with LM and what we believe are QC issues.  I wont replace my go to tools any time soon.  My tools have been great, Surge, Charge TTi/Ti, Wave, Skeltool CX, Squirts, Micras, and my Juice S2. 

:salute: Keep on keeping on Leatherman.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #44 on: March 19, 2021, 11:43:10 PM
I agree with Tim Leatherman. Tools were meant to be used or as a collectors item, both.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 19, 2021, 11:56:31 PM
I am glad Tim says that :salute: I am a user whom also collects :D

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #46 on: March 20, 2021, 08:31:35 AM
I worked in tool assembly, an area of of secure 10' tall secure fencing. after 6 months of employment I was handed all the standard tools by Tim in the conference room., pst, pst2, micra, st, st200, wave, mini, juice XE6, flair, Crunch. I can answer most of your questions about how or what. From assembly to inspection through shipping. All of my tools are in brand new, never used
 condition except for the Micra and mini.
20210320_002938.jpg
* 20210320_002938.jpg (Filesize: 210.42 KB)

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: March 20, 2021, 06:10:09 PM
This is a great thread!  Thank you!  What are your thoughts on the new tools? 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 20, 2021, 08:33:46 PM

You had mentioned (I think) that the colored scales were outsourced.   I have felt that the Juice series was perfect for outdoor recreation folks like campers and hikers, and I was disappointed to see it go.  I also know a firefighter and a paramedic that used to carry a Juice on the job, so there's no concern that they weren't up to hard use. 

You've pointed out very interestingly that new tools are discontinued when sales and interest wanes, so I assume this is the main issue.

At the corporate level, was there discussion about the "audience" for the tool?  Is that related to the rise and fall of the Juice series at all?  Almost all the tools are aimed at the workshop and DIY-repair users.  Aside from the Signal, is there an interest in marketing towards backpackers and such? 

What I think is lost in the idea of discontinuing a tool when sales drop - there's always going to be a market for good tools as people come of age.  People who were barely teenagers when the PST or Juice was around.... if you give them a choice between a Juice and a Surge now (when they have the means to buy something) ... I'm sure a large percentage of them would go for a Juice. 

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #49 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:14 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  ToolAssembly :cheers:

That is awesome that you worked for LM  :o :like:

I love all the original line and it is awesome that you worked on all of those :salute: :tu:

I need to think of something to ask :ahhh
you probably should know that there was never a stamped PST11. All of the handles are PST. I'll send some pics of used rejected old components that rolled out of the cage. Actually I think somebody threw them out in
This is a great thread!  Thank you!  What are your thoughts on the new tools? 
they're trying to hit a large audience, as absolutely as large as possible. All the different styles, eye-catching designs, personal and company engraving,camo to European Flair. It is a very competitive market. These new tools have some very unique designs, almost too much, but im 57 yrs old, I like the old stuff..

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #50 on: March 21, 2021, 12:36:56 AM
you probably should know that there was never a stamped PST11. All of the handles are PST. I'll send some pics of used rejected old components that rolled out of the cage. Actually I think somebody threw them out in they're trying to hit a large audience, as absolutely as large as possible. All the different styles, eye-catching designs, personal and company engraving,camo to European Flair. It is a very competitive market. These new tools have some very unique designs, almost too much, but im 57 yrs old, I like the old stuff..
used micra, pst sockets, torx 5star for wave and..
20210320_163428.jpg
* 20210320_163428.jpg (Filesize: 93.09 KB)
20210320_163402.jpg
* 20210320_163402.jpg (Filesize: 132.78 KB)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:36:50 AM by ToolAssembly »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: March 21, 2021, 12:55:21 AM
Those knurled screw sockets are so awesome  8) :like: :like:

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 01:01:48 AM
used micra, pst sockets, torx 5star
5-1/4" 2 in 1 component alighnment pin, Notice the PST long pivot nut on the end. I was chosen to make these for the assy lines, the very end is thin and smoothe to not scratch nut threads. A person could fill components in angled assy tray and after the pin was inserted, 5 tool halves could be finished in a snap.
20210320_165016.jpg
* 20210320_165016.jpg (Filesize: 73.81 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 01:07:54 AM
Another cool tool of the trade 8) :like:

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 01:34:25 AM
5-1/4" 2 in 1 component alighnment pin, Notice the PST long pivot nut on the end. I was chosen to make these for the assy lines, the very end is thin and smoothe to not scratch nut threads. A person could fill components in angled assy tray and after the pin was inserted, 5 tool halves could be finished in a snap.
everybody wonders what this leather sheath is for, tool adapter and all of the bits you want to stuff in it.
20210320_173159.jpg
* 20210320_173159.jpg (Filesize: 259.92 KB)

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 01:40:06 AM
Those knurled screw sockets are so awesome  8) :like: :like:
and I'd see somebody didn't put the socket straight down to the pivot nut.. and blame it on the socket... that it's no good and toss it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 01:46:22 AM
Oh my :facepalm: I would have loved to dumpster dive and found some of those :D

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 01:58:24 AM
Did you ever work on those curved locks on the Pulse and Super Tool 200?

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 02:13:30 AM
and I'd see somebody didn't put the socket straight down to the pivot nut.. and blame it on the socket... that it's no good and toss it. The mini- it felt really good in the hand and I believe this idea carried to the "wave" to fit in a delicate hand with a great grip..
20210320_180553.jpg
* 20210320_180553.jpg (Filesize: 89.17 KB)

Offline ToolAssembly

Reply #59 on: March 21, 2021, 02:22:21 AM
You had mentioned (I think) that the colored scales were outsourced.   I have felt that the Juice series was perfect for outdoor recreation folks like campers and hikers, and I was disappointed to see it go.  I also know a firefighter and a paramedic that used to carry a Juice on the job, so there's no concern that they weren't up to hard use. 

You've pointed out very interestingly that new tools are discontinued when sales and interest wanes, so I assume this is the main issue.

At the corporate level, was there discussion about the "audience" for the tool?  Is that related to the rise and fall of the Juice series at all?  Almost all the tools are aimed at the workshop and DIY-repair users.  Aside from the Signal, is there an interest in marketing towards backpackers and such? 

What I think is lost in the idea of discontinuing a tool when sales drop - there's always going to be a market for good tools as people come of age.  People who were barely teenagers when the PST or Juice was around.... if you give them a choice between a Juice and a Surge now (when they have the means to buy something) ... I'm sure a large percentage of them would go for a Juice.
I'm very industrious and I manufacture rc 4x4 roll cages and bumpers. Using my bachelor's degree in industrial design. An inbred interest on how things work. It was a rare choice to get the xe6, most employees chose the cs. The tool has everything. but I wanted a blue one...Purple will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%