Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge TTI vs Gerber Legend

Offline Radrler

Charge TTI vs Gerber Legend
on: March 21, 2021, 09:41:04 AM
So Ive been working at a steel plant for some years now. I started out with a Gerber Legend and after a few months, upgraded to the Charge, as the title implies. Surprisingly, it was not as much of an upgrade as I assumed it would be. Read on to find out why!

Unlike most comparisons Ive read on here, these two tools rarely end up competing, as such. Any area in which one is superior ends up being a no-contest. Im having a hard time remembering which implements could even be compared properly. Maybe the flatheads.

Anyway, here are the most striking differences:

Locks

All implements lock on both tools (or all implements that matter, anyway) but the unlocking mechanism on the Legend is just ridiculously bad. You have to use both hands and on top of that, the steel ridges dig painfully into your fingers as you pull them back. Its just... staggeringly uncomfortable. Feels like there were soft rubber caps there which fell off after prolonged use. Only there werent any rubber caps to begin with, no sir. The Charge has nice, comfortable locks which can be disengaged with one hand. Advantage - Leatherman.

Pliers

Gerber pliers are just better. Not only are they spring-loaded, theyre also more massive and feel a lot more solid. Not to mention the gripping area on the Charge is severely compromised by the wire crimper. It may not look like much in paper, but the difference in practice is very noticeable: Leatherman pliers constantly slip. Add to that...

Wire-cutters

Both sets have replaceable bits, but only the Gerber bit boasts three sides, making it potentially much longer-lasting in the field. Kind of a moot point, since I am yet to require replacing either. Still, Gerber wire cutters are a lot more aggressive and make short work of even heavy steel bands, where as the Leatherman struggles with even regular wire. A definite advantage to Gerber. Miss those pliers sorely...

Bit driver

Gerber kind of maybe has a bit set, but its not very impressive and frankly, is an afterthought. The Leatherman set of bit sets is comprehensive, to put it mildly. I was pleased to discover it has all the hex and star bits I need at my job, which saves me a ton of time over the course of the day. Never bothered with the bit extender, as the default Leatherman driver is flexible enough for my needs. An unexpected advantage to Leatherman in my eyes.

Scissors

I had known in advance scissors were the Charges weak point and indeed, they fall far short of what Im used to. Theyll cut... paper, I guess. If its not very thick. Theyll also cut a carton of milk in a pinch. For anything more robust, I have to go to the knife blade. Which is, incidentally, much easier, since the Charges scissors are not, in fact, outside-opening. Gerber scissors arent just beastly, arent just outside opening - theyre openable with one hand. Jeez but do I miss THAT feature... Advantage Gerber so much I think Im going to cry.

Wood saw

The Charge has one. I feel like its not as incredible as the one on Victorinox tools, but since I had to spend several months hunting for something to put into the Gerber to even CALL it a wood saw, this one is also rather one-sided. I suppose an escaping prisoner would prefer the diamond saw on the Legend, but us law abiding citizens will probably stick to what the Charge has to offer.

File

This one is probably closest, but since the Charge has a diamond file and the Legend only a regular one, its still a no-brainier.

Maintenance

One last category in which the two tools differ. The Legend requires constant oiling, lest it becomes covered with rust. No such problems with the Charge, even though I would not expect such a massive difference. I guess they use different kinds of steel. Ive had to sharpen both blades already, with the Charge having a much longer lasting edge, obviously. Plus, it has an entire separate serrated blade you can keep fresh for emergencies.

Overall, its not hard to see why the Charge is considered the better tool, but I have to admit I find myself missing numerous features of the Legend. Hope Leatherman addresses these shortcomings in the future, instead of churning out expensive toys...

Anyway, thats my take. Not sure how it could help anyone, but I hope it did, anyway.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Charge TTI vs Gerber Legend
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 10:52:06 AM
Excellent review! Some nice comparisons there. I wonder if the perfect Mt is out there for you.

Having laid bare the pros and cons of each model are you tempted to look for a happy medium or will you stick with the Charge?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:59:54 PM
Thanks for the comparison in your uses.  Its why some carry 2 multitools which likely is not the best option  :dunno:.  Sounds like a modified MT might be in your future?  A blunt nose Surge? 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Radrler

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 06:52:14 AM
Honestly, Im  kind of broke at the moment, so no hunting for the perfect MT for me :P

The Surge would probably do, if not for my tiny girly hands... not an evolutionary advantage at a factory, let me tell you. The Charge is about good enough and much, much better than what anyone else around here carries. I think by the time I start shopping for a work MT again, the things will have Bluetooth and laser saws.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 04:55:50 PM
 :tu:. The Charge is a very nice tool.  My TTi is a go to for work.  The LM bits and bit extender offer expanded capability.  I do really wish there was a blade exchanger.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD