Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reber pivot adjustment

Offline mikekoz

Reber pivot adjustment
on: March 21, 2021, 05:40:02 PM
    I have had a Rebar for several years and have never used it because the pivots for the tools are too tight. I have tried with a little success to use other pliers to loosen the pivots. Mostly they just slip off. I purchased a pair of screw removing pliers after watching a guy on Youtube adjust them. he made it look easy, but the pliers I bought, which seemed like the same type but a different brand, could not grasp the screws on the Rebar, at least the ones that are on the tool end. It did OK on the ones that are for the ones on the plier end. The problem is, on the Rebar tool end, the screw is halfway surrounded by a ridge which keeps the end of the screw pliers jaws from grasping the head firmly.  I posted a similar issue a while back trying to adjust a Wave, and I was sent a link to buy a specialty tool from Loki, but when I look at those tools, I do not see how they would work with the way the one end of the Rebar is made. Does anybody else have any other ideas for doing this on the Rebar?

Edit: Is there a way to modify the Rebar pivot screws and replace them with Torx screws?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:03:36 PM by mikekoz »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Reber pivot adjustment
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 06:04:24 PM
The Loki wrenches work well on the Rebar :cheers:  I have taken apart several with the wrenches :tu: sometimes you have to use them at a bit of an angle to get the screws started but once you get it started they come off easy :tu:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:03:41 PM
 :iagree:
Also, and since you already have what I think might be engineers pliers (or vampliers), you can try to bevel one of pliers tip, the outside radius; using a rotary tool or grinder until it fits.
Something akin to this. (These are not engineers pliers but my homemade version, and had been pretty good for my occasional use.)
20210321_145641.jpg
* 20210321_145641.jpg (Filesize: 27.72 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 08:40:17 PM
Did you heat them up to break the loctite ? also only one side turns on the tool side of the Rebar. The knife side is captive. 

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Thanks, but I do not have the necessary skills to do that!  :D I looked at the vampliers, but they cost too much. This is not something I will be using every day. This is what I purchased:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/alltrade-tools-multifunction-screw-removal-pliers-6-645028/11599352-P

I got them from Autozone. A cheaper version of the Vampliers I saw on Amazon. 

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 08:54:52 PM
Did you heat them up to break the loctite ? also only one side turns on the tool side of the Rebar. The knife side is captive.

I did not know that, thanks. The side of the tool I am working on is the one with the saw and serrated blade.

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:09:47 PM

I did not know that, thanks. The side of the tool I am working on is the one with the saw and serrated blade.

Then all you'll need is to heat it up a bit using a lighter or soldering iron (just a couple of seconds) and should be good for it to loosen up. Try to turn with needle nose pliers parallel to the handle, until the tools' resistance is to your liking. Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:00:32 PM by Juan el Boricua »

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 02:13:13 AM
I finally made some progress with my Rebar using pliers from a Gerber Suspension NXT! At first, I made the tools a bit too loose, and I had a heck of a time tightening them back up a little. It is not perfect, and never will be, but I think I got it the way I want it, or as good as it is going to get.  I wish Leatherman would modernize some of their older tools. I have off brand name Chinese multi's that open a lot more smoothly, do not clump, and close a lot smoother than this Rebar. They are also a lot easier to maintain. Anyhow, thanks for all the help folks!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 03:05:37 AM
I was sent a link to buy a specialty tool from Loki, but when I look at those tools, I do not see how they would work with the way the one end of the Rebar is made.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and I can vouch for those little wrenches. They fit perfectly around those screws, even at the tool ends with the curved surfaces. You have excellent leverage to turn the screws. And they fit so many tools! :cheers:

Also for the Rebar, the screw is on the side with the writing, and the post is on the other. The post does not turn. Hold it firm with the wrench and only turn the screw.

Big fan of Loki's wrenches. I bought the lite set first (seen above) and I liked it so much I decided to get the regular cross-shaped wrenches, and I fixed a Micra that out of commission for a couple of years. :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 04:04:03 AM
I finally made some progress with my Rebar using pliers from a Gerber Suspension NXT! At first, I made the tools a bit too loose, and I had a heck of a time tightening them back up a little. It is not perfect, and never will be, but I think I got it the way I want it, or as good as it is going to get.  I wish Leatherman would modernize some of their older tools. I have off brand name Chinese multi's that open a lot more smoothly, do not clump, and close a lot smoother than this Rebar. They are also a lot easier to maintain. Anyhow, thanks for all the help folks!

Congratulations on a job well done. :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 04:56:49 AM
I finally made some progress with my Rebar using pliers from a Gerber Suspension NXT! At first, I made the tools a bit too loose, and I had a heck of a time tightening them back up a little.
Add a dab of Loctite to the thread when reassembling.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%