Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ever Given blocking the Suez Canal 1137

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,647 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Ever Given blocking the Suez Canal
« on: March 26, 2021, 12:47:46 PM »
It's amazing how many people still haven't heard about this, although to be honest, most of those people are probably here in the Americas, where this will have little direct impact.

For those unaware of the situation, a very large container vessel has run aground in the Suez Canal, the main shipping connection between Europe and East Asia.  Worse, the 3 knot current has pushed her so she is sitting perpendicular to the Canal, completely blocking it.

The 120 mile Canal usually handles 50-60 ships each day, and since it has been blocked for several days now, there is a HUGE backlog of ships waiting to get through.

At roughly 229,000 metric tonnes and 400 meters long, the Ever Given is too big to dislodge with tugs, and they have started to dig around her to try and help free her.  When a vessel is that large and has that much surface area below the waterline (draught or draft), a simple 3 knot current can exert a significant amount of force, pinning even a giant ship like this in place.

I have a contact that was two vessels behind the Ever Given, and has some amazing photos.  Unfortunately, his vessel was damaged in the incident, and they had to be towed out of the canal by tugs.  They are currently at anchor outside the canal, attempting to make repairs. 

He is on a bulk freighter, which is fortunately relatively small, but they had a front row seat of the Maersk vessel in front of them frantically trying to stop when the Ever Given ran aground.  Fortunately the Maersk vessel was able to avoid a collision, which would have made a very bad situation significantly worse.

The internet has been hard at work with bizarre theories and weird stories to make this incident sound nefarious- from the routing history that looks like a gentleman's sausage to this being a terrorist attempt to cripple Europe with higher prices and a disruption of the supply chain.

Some or all of these theories may have some credence, I cannot say for sure.  One thing I can say is that our European members should prepare themselves for shortages, long wait times for products and increased pricing if the Ever Given cannot be freed quickly.  It has already been several days, and most vessels are waiting their turn for when the canal opens again, because the alternative is spending a month going around Africa.

I'm not advocating hoarding, but for those in Europe, I'd consider stocking up on anything that you may use regularly that comes from China, Malaysia, Pakistan etc.

For those in Oz, I doubt you get that much from the EU, so there's probably not much to worry about, and for those of us in the Americas, we are probably good too, as shipments from Europe come across the Atlantic and Asian imports come across the Pacific.  Very few commodities to or from North and South America will go through there.

If this incident is prolonged, we may see some trickle down issues, but there should be few, if any direct effects here.

Even so, it's a bad situation, intentional or otherwise, and I hope they manage to get it corrected soon.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,503
Re: Ever Given blocking the Suez Canal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
Seems like a job for explosives, lots of them   :D
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,065 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 01:22:11 PM »
They're using WHAT? :sa:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,647 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:59:32 PM »
Whatever works...  she's not in the most accessible areas....

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,465 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
I think I was the only one of my family and friends to kniow, even Noah, my son in the Coast Guard.  That's a really bad situation.   I can't imagine what went thru the minds of the people on the bridge when it happened.  I'd imagine there's a helmsman and Captain looking for work somewhere.... :facepalm:   Honestly, it's surprising it hasn't happened before.

Barry
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,325
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 03:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the insight Grant  :salute:
Some people would be surprised what type of goods are being imported from China into Europe.

I wouldn't mind you sharing more pictures and info as they arrive  :hatsoff:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 03:11:46 PM »

Yeah, he's digging that job I guess  :ahhh

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 03:14:04 PM »
Seems like a job for explosives, lots of them   :D

You don't say?

https://youtu.be/V6CLumsir34

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »
This was the Vessel traffic outside of the canal yesterday.

Def

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,919 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »
Some of them are going around south Africa. It's still faster than waiting for the canal to open.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,598
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 05:28:45 PM »
That's some serious overtime on the job.
Both for the ship's crews and diggers.

Buy now or regret later
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 05:59:42 PM »
Some of them are going around south Africa. It's still faster than waiting for the canal to open.

:facepalm:

Some are, and that is a choice they will all have to consider.

Going around Africa will add about a month to their journey, assuming they aren't heading for a port in Eastern Africa somewhere, and officials hope to have the canal open in less than a week.

Of course, even when the canal opens, there will still be huge backlogs and additional delays as they try to get as many vessels through as possible as fast as possible.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 2,082 I have a small selection of disparate tools
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,481
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 09:49:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was aware and also heard all the possibilities of why this happened but regardless its a mess thats for sure.  I saw the back up of vessels waiting but I fear they will be waiting a lot longer than they think  :dunno:

:popcorn:

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 1,825
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 01:22:49 AM »
Saw this a couple days ago.

It amazes me that we dont have two canals there, and in Panama (are they building another canal down there.). One for northbound one for southbound. Yes, it's a major undertaking, but when you consider how long ago these were built, I'd like to think with current technology and earth movers, we could have second ones dug in relatively short order. Could have done this years or decades ago.

Critical infrastructure should always be robust and duplicate.
Sr. Member Posts: 367
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 02:16:58 AM »

It's probably the captain...

"Fine I'll do it myself!"
No Life Club Posts: 1,219 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 04:44:59 AM »

It amazes me that we dont have two canals there, and in Panama (are they building another canal down there.). One for northbound one for southbound. Yes, it's a major undertaking, but when you consider how long ago these were built, I'd like to think with current technology and earth movers, we could have second ones dug in relatively short order. Could have done this years or decades ago.

Yeah, I've thought about this.... there are some reasons why things managed to be built years ago, that couldn't be built today (or as easily). It often has a lot to do with regulations, and in some cases, a higher value on safety and human life today. If you ever look into how many men died on the job during the building of Hoover Dam, for instance, it was quite intense.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 04:49:03 AM »
A ship that's gone breach in a canal, reminds me of a baby going breach at the birth canal. (Not trying to be weird or funny). There's just something unsettling about the whole situation. It could have some pretty major affects on commerce.

Before this happened, I remember a few days ago, hearing a random snippet on the radio news, saying there was a cargo transportation problem building up in the USA, with containers and/or ships stacked at the harbors not being able to get the freight processed quickly enough. The newscaster said it was due to a shortage of truck drivers. For what it's worth. I don't know much about it, I just heard it on the radio.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 10:32:29 AM »

Egypt had no incentive to dig another canal before this. :D
And they still don't, after this crisis is over. Their canal customers have no choice but to keep using the canal as-is. So why would Egypt make another?  :dunno:

All hail the hook!
No Life Club Posts: 3,926
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »
Yesterday's TV news over here had it that an increasing number of shipping lines are detouring around Africa, quoting the extra time needed as roughly 9 days (I assume that is an average and would depend heavily on the type of ship).

The water pressure on the hull from a normally 3 kt current is not something a few tugs (or even 10) will be able to counter, I think, but it appears Smit are sending a few high sea tugs. But relieving the current pressure on the hull must be part of the plan for it to work, I'd guess... Would large volume pumping from upstream to downstream work?

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 02:11:17 PM »
And they still don't, after this crisis is over. Their canal customers have no choice but to keep using the canal as-is. So why would Egypt make another?  :dunno:

Well....part of the canal has a bypass, that I believe was completed in 2015.  But evidently not the whole thing.

It's interesting, I was reading on Wikipedia that the very first (celebratory) convoy through the canal had a ship go breech and grounded, too, back in 1869. Ships were smaller then though, and they got it floated fairly quickly.

Wiki also said Egypt closed the canal entirely from 1967 to 1975. I had no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 02:46:38 PM »
Yeah, I've thought about this.... there are some reasons why things managed to be built years ago, that couldn't be built today (or as easily). It often has a lot to do with regulations, and in some cases, a higher value on safety and human life today. If you ever look into how many men died on the job during the building of Hoover Dam, for instance, it was quite intense.

True, however I think that just helps to make my point. With modern machines, earth movers connected to GPS technology, and safety requirements and equipment and all, we ought to be able to build a parallel canal with "relative" ease and minimal injuries,  let alone loss of life.

Not TODAY of course. It wouldnt help this situation, but it can help minimize the chances of this happening again.

The other part of it is, if a different authority or company oversaw the new canal, that would lead to decreased revenue for the first canal, and we cant have THAT, now, can we
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 02:51:08 PM »
Well....part of the canal has a bypass, that I believe was completed in 2015.  But evidently not the whole thing.

It's interesting, I was reading on Wikipedia that the very first (celebratory) convoy through the canal had a ship go breech and grounded, too, back in 1869. Ships were smaller then though, and they got it floated fairly quickly.

Wiki also said Egypt closed the canal entirely from 1967 to 1975. I had no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal

Mid-east "trouble in Suez"

I think that happens periodically depending on relations and negotiations of various political objectives
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 02:53:17 PM »

Even if the second canal were in Egypt, the number of ships passing through is finite. So yes, to your point...twice the infrastructure to maintain with the same amount of cash resources coming in, I guess. Why bother.
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 03:03:42 PM »
Even if the second canal were in Egypt, the number of ships passing through is finite. So yes, to your point...twice the infrastructure to maintain with the same amount of cash resources coming in, I guess. Why bother.

On the other hand, if the process were quicker and/or cheaper than now, perhaps goods would flow more efficiently to more places, allowing for lower costs and a more vibrant economy.

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,945 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/29/suez-canal-attempt-re-float-ever-given-delay-salvage-tugboats

"An Egyptian and international salvaging team has succeeded in partially freeing a vast container ship that had become stuck on the banks of the Suez canal for six days, holding up tens of billions of dollars’ worth of global trade.

But engineers warned the blockage was not yet cleared, with the ship’s bulbous bow – or front end - still stuck at the canal’s edge and salvagers contemplating removing containers from the vessel to lighten its load, a process that is likely to take at least days."

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,662
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
Without having read very far into the news reports,
and not knowing much about ships or canals,
and assuming the canal has sloped sides....

I wonder what effect adding more water (if possible) to the canal would have.  :think:

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »
Yeah, he's digging that job I guess  :ahhh
Hopefully the ship's crew will be in a more buoyant mood soon.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:50:36 PM by Syncop8r »

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 12:50:37 PM »
Without having read very far into the news reports,
and not knowing much about ships or canals,
and assuming the canal has sloped sides....

I wonder what effect adding more water (if possible) to the canal would have.  :think:
Well, since it's not fully blocking the canal, you'd have to dam it up.

But the canal has no sides.... :facepalm:

All hail the hook!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2021, 12:51:49 PM »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:03:40 PM by Syncop8r »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00