Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time for Victorinox to come up with a SAK with a nose hair trimmer

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
If we're talking about nose trimmers, any advice for a good nose trimmer? I actually do use my 58mm scissors but perhaps the time has come for the real thing. Lots of options on Amazon but I've no idea what to look for.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline SgtTowser

April 1.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :rofl:

Howling with laughter!

Awesome! Beat me to it!

00 Offline SgtTowser

If we're talking about nose trimmers, any advice for a good nose trimmer? I actually do use my 58mm scissors but perhaps the time has come for the real thing. Lots of options on Amazon but I've no idea what to look for.

Battery powered nose hair trimmers are currently a mixed bag.

Ten-15 years ago  Panasonic built bullet proof trimmers, but when this industry outsourced Japan for PRC, every advancement in design has been undermined by efforts at “value” engineering.

Currently the best 1 AA unit trimmer head is the  CONAIRMAN  pictured below.

Point scoring by me on a 1-5 scale 5 being best:

Overall Design and
materials : 4

Head design: 5

Head materials: 5

Body design: 5

Body materials: 3 flimsy plastic

Smoothness of entry/exit: 5

Time to trim a nostril thoroughly: 4

Minimization of hair pulling and tickle: 5

Washable head without removal: 5

Ease of disassembly for further cleaning: 4

Durability: ?

Ease of Battery change: 4

Battery life: 3

Ear trimming: 3 some of the more traditional  heads work better on ears. I own one of each.

My satisfaction: 4-5

Distilled: needs better build materials to go with a great trim head.

Find at:  chain pharmacies or online.

Recommend: yes

P.S.: AAA would be better form factor, but I have not found one that trims nearly as well and they eat batteries in my experience

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Great review, Sgt.....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
However,  :pok: I'm still trying to get over this sentence:

Ear trimming: 3 some of the more traditional  heads work better on ears. I own one of each.
:o :ahhh :rofl:

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Battery powered nose hair trimmers are currently a mixed bag.

Ten-15 years ago  Panasonic built bullet proof trimmers, but when this industry outsourced Japan for PRC, every advancement in design has been undermined by efforts at “value” engineering.

Currently the best 1 AA unit trimmer head is the  CONAIRMAN  pictured below.

Point scoring by me on a 1-5 scale 5 being best:

Overall Design and
materials : 4

Head design: 5

Head materials: 5

Body design: 5

Body materials: 3 flimsy plastic

Smoothness of entry/exit: 5

Time to trim a nostril thoroughly: 4

Minimization of hair pulling and tickle: 5

Washable head without removal: 5

Ease of disassembly for further cleaning: 4

Durability: ?

Ease of Battery change: 4

Battery life: 3

My satisfaction: 4-5

Distilled: needs better build materials to go with a great trim head.

Find at:  chain pharmacies or online.

Recommend: yes

P.S.: AAA would be better form factor, but I have not found one that trims nearly as well and they eat batteries in my experience

That one was the best I'd seen on Amazon yesterday, really glad to see you give it a good review, thank you!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Yeah it's nothing to sniff at.

00 Offline SgtTowser

That one was the best I'd seen on Amazon yesterday, really glad to see you give it a good review, thank you!

Just be prepared for it to feel cheap, if you buy.

But mine works pretty well.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Yeah it's nothing to sniff at.

You are incredibly punny!

I love puns, but you da master!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Thank you Sarge.  :salute:

Did you get this one?
Yeah! They could make them in the ol' factory in Switzerland.
:facepalm:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club

Did you get this one? :facepalm:

Oh brother. That exudes a certain pun-gency.

nz Offline Syncop8r

:rofl:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Went by me..

Only the nose knows.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/

That was brilliant.

Syncop8r nose the best puns ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Back to the quest for a rotary nose hair trimmer. Zwilling appears to have tackled the design problem without batteries, which was my original hope.

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/collections/zwilling-grooming-gear/products/rotary-nose-and-ear-hair-trimmer-by-zwilling-j-a-henckels

Alas, it appears too big for integration into a SAK, but the proof of concept of a finger powered rotary trimmer exists.

Maybe a micro hedge trimmer approach already used on some battery powered trimmers could be scaled to fit in SAK.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Back to the quest for a rotary nose hair trimmer. Zwilling appears to have tackled the design problem without batteries, which was my original hope.

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/collections/zwilling-grooming-gear/products/rotary-nose-and-ear-hair-trimmer-by-zwilling-j-a-henckels

Alas, it appears too big for integration into a SAK, but the proof of concept of a finger powered rotary trimmer exists.

Maybe a micro hedge trimmer approach already used on some battery powered trimmers could be scaled to fit in SAK.

Maybe a wind-up design?

00 Offline SgtTowser

Maybe a wind-up design?

Reckon u r jesting 😀, but if not, I think your idea has some merit on  two paths.

1.) a squeezing tool that ratchets up a spring that spins a blade head; and

2.) a SAK is a whole bunch of springs and tools opening and closing cycles that might be harnessed to store spring energy.

Just some fleeting thoughts.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reckon u r jesting 😀, but if not, I think your idea has some merit on  two paths.

1.) a squeezing tool that ratchets up a spring that spins a blade head; and

2.) a SAK is a whole bunch of springs and tools opening and closing cycles that might be harnessed to store spring energy.

Just some fleeting thoughts.

I was not so much jesting as much as being a little bit imaginative and whimsical.... I think if it wound up like an old fashioned watch, something might be done......

00 Offline SgtTowser

Better yet, grow a moustache, and nobody will realize you have nose hairs.

While looking today at CVS in the grooming section for the latest in power nose trimmers, because of the amusement we’ve all been getting from this thread, I noticed that the there is an astonishing amount of paraphernalia for beard and mustache grooming. Way back when I was a lonely tree age broncin’ buck and went through a three year beard and a two year mustache I never did anything but wash the fricking face fur with Dial soap. These days I would be afraid to give up clean face and nose hair trimming for fear of the steep learning curve of how to care and feed one’s beard to make it clean and shiny and conditioned. Oh, MY!!!!! What the beards are doing for grooming today just blew me away! I was like Jim Flippin’ Bridger compared to these handsome, haired over bucks today. As long as I didn’t find a ground squirrel living in my beard, I thought I was achieving peak grooming and hygiene.I was pretty rough behind the edges in those days. But I means well.  :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:13:58 AM by SgtTowser »

00 Offline SgtTowser

I was not so much jesting as much as being a little bit imaginative and whimsical.... I think if it wound up like an old fashioned watch, something might be done......

:iagree:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
While looking today at CVS in the grooming section for the latest in power nose trimmers, because of the amusement we’ve all been getting from this thread, I noticed that the there is an astonishing amount of paraphernalia for beard and mustache grooming. Way back when I was a lonely tree age broncin’ buck and went through a three year beard and a two year mustache I never did anything but wash the fricking face fur with Dial soap. These days I would be afraid to give up clean face and nose hair trimming for fear of the steep learning curve of how to care and feed one’s beard to make it clean and shiny and conditioned. Oh, MY!!!!! What the beards are doing for grooming today just blew me away! I was like Jim Flippin’ Bridger compared to these handsome, haired over bucks today. As long as I didn’t find a ground squirrel living in my beard, I thought I was achieving peak grooming and hygiene.I was pretty rough behind the edges in those days. But I means well.  :D

I don't do anything special with mine. I cut it off when it gets long and grow it again. When it gets long enough to be irritating, I just start over. Beard balm and moustache mousse is for the metro special folks with more money than sense.....

00 Offline SgtTowser

I don't do anything special with mine. I cut it off when it gets long and grow it again. When it gets long enough to be irritating, I just start over. Beard balm and moustache mousse is for the metro special folks with more money than sense.....

:iagree:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club

When I shower, I wash my beard with the same shampoo I use on my head.  When I comb my hair, I comb my beard with the same comb I use on my head.  Other than that, I don't do anything with it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
I sometimes use peanut butter or margarine for my beard. But not on purpose, just because I'm a messy eater.

nz Offline Syncop8r

:facepalm:  :rofl:

gb Offline Cakemonster

I tried growing a beard during lockdown.
After three weeks I shaved it into a goatee.
"What do you think? " I said to Mrs Cakemonster.
"Of what?" she replied.
I'm 50 year old and can grow a beard a Border Terrier can lick off.... :facepalm:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
I sometimes use peanut butter or margarine for my beard. But not on purpose, just because I'm a messy eater.

Some people pay out the nose for beard care products, and you've got them all snookered.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
I tried growing a beard during lockdown.
After three weeks I shaved it into a goatee.
"What do you think? " I said to Mrs Cakemonster.
"Of what?" she replied.
I'm 50 year old and can grow a beard a Border Terrier can lick off.... :facepalm:

Maybe it's the water you drink. Try drinking distilled water, not public water...... maybe....  :pok:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!

Do like Nate and put the same on your head.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Do like Nate and put the same on your head.

:pok: :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%