Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Lanyard Are You Rockin’ Today?

00 Offline SgtTowser

What Lanyard Are You Rockin’ Today?
on: March 28, 2021, 12:03:13 AM
This thread is dedicated to E Tripper whose steady stream of warrior folders with cool, colorful lanyards helped me break out of lanyard inhibition.

Today’s lanyard is a basic CCP snake knot made out of cooking twine attached by Quick Link to Cybertool L.

“Sometimes, Joel, ya just gotta say, “What the f$&@!””
—Curtis Armstrong as Miles Dalby in Risky Business

Okay, so forgive my weak stab at juxtaposition humor—putting a twine lanyard on a Cybertool (note: twine might only look chic with a rustic knife with wood handles, or as I hope to do someday, a twine&leather interweave attached to some woodsy folder with wood scales). 

And yes, I know, the Quick Link has to go!

Show your latest lanyards here!!!

As always, if another thread pre exists and offers continuity, let me know and scratch this one.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Re: What Lanyard Are You Rockin’ Today?
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 07:31:01 AM
Been carrying a 'three-blade' rotation lately:  Cold Steel, Zero Tolerance, and Benchmade:

The 4 Max sees quite-a-bit of pocket-time:

ZT Tiger rocks!

Last; but not least is my "Benchie" Adamas auto:

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 01:57:41 AM
The ZT Tiger lanyard is definitive. The striped lanyard and striped blade are harmonious.and reinforcing as design language, not just ornament. Lanyard and knife are one.

The other two lanyards:

The CS and Lanyard interplay color, which makes the lanyard a harmonious extension of the knife.

The last knife the lanyard operates as counter point color.

All three knives are strong visual statements that the lanyards complement, but the ZT/lanyard is art.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:03:52 AM by SgtTowser »

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 05:16:15 AM
Thanks, ST!  :hatsoff:  Lanyards are not only functional, for those who like them.  But also, make a design statement, as you pointed-out.  The choice in paracord should at least jell with the knife's scales.  I swapped-out a new cord today on my Scout.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:42:08 AM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 08:07:48 AM
Thanks, ST!  :hatsoff:  Lanyards are not only functional, for those who like them.  But also, make a design statement, as you pointed-out.  The choice in paracord should at least jell with the knife's scales.  I swapped-out a new cord today on my Scout.

(Image removed from quote.)

ETrip, This is an example where my eye is calling for blade grey, and/or scale black in the colors of the lanyard to tie into the knife color scheme more closely, than what appears a blue speckle as photographed, or alternatively to go for bolder juxtaposition in counter color.

On the other hand, the pictured lanyard is subtle and does not clash. It “supports” the knife, instead of “harmonizing” with it, at least to my eye.  It works, but as I said, it leaves my eye asking for more color connection. That is an expression an oil painter I studied under a bit used to use. He would say the painting in progress was asking him for a certain color to pull the composition closer together.

There is a faint blue cast to the blade steel that a lighter blue speckle in the lanyard might more fully harmonize with.

But I know paracord offers only so many color shades to work with.

Whatever, such a kick ass knife and a solid lanyard.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:14:14 AM by SgtTowser »

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 05:38:40 AM

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 05:54:24 AM

BOOM!

Decisive counterpoint!

Striking!

A trail of red, not just a tail of red...what a hard use knife might leave in its wake!!

Forceful bichromaticism!!

Stendhal’s THE RED AND THE BLACK distilled to steel and paracord.

A knife taking names later.

Or a very nasty black scorpion with a fire tail and stinger.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 03:44:36 AM
Here is the lanyard on my Al Mar 5th Special Forces [Abn.] bowie:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 02:35:12 AM
Here is the lanyard on my Al Mar 5th Special Forces [Abn.] bowie:

Now THAT is a Bowie!

Going with longer tails for the longer blade maybe.

And you are taking the art of lanyard rockin’ into the photographic realm.

This lanyard is pure counterpoint ornament to the knife color wise , but then harmonizes it’s colors with the background subtlety and well making the picture cohere. If only the dark (likely green of the lanyard tied to the varied green hues of nature and painted wood, this picture would not hold together, or be near as graphically appealing. What makes the picture work is the reddish hue in the railing connecting with the pale red in the lanyard.

Were you in that outfit of special forces?

If so, you can probably kill me a hundred ways even with colors!! 😀

What ever, thanks for sharing that cool knife and lanyard that together ROCK!

And thanks and good luck to the 5th! Here’s hoping they can stay home awhile and enjoy some home cooking.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 02:38:07 AM
Thanks, again!  :salute: :hatsoff:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:39:30 AM
Here's my other Off Grid Rapid Fire

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 03:32:13 AM
Here's my other Off Grid Rapid Fire

I rarely drool about anything but food, but that knife and lanyard makes me salivate!

The lanyard and knife look like they were designed by the factory to be sold together.

That is about the highest praise, when talking about accessorizing anything.

Off Grid does not seem to make ANY stinkers.

Question: is the Rapid fire an automatic, or a manual flipper, or an assisted flipper?

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:12:41 AM
It's an 'assisted-flipper' ST.  Great knife, and very comfortable in-the-hand.  The scale-pattern initially attracted me to this blade.

br Offline RicardoBorges

• Truth, Love, Reason, Merit... Camões
Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM
I just finnished this one to the good old EDC Outrider black.

This samurai bead arrived some days ago  :mail: together with a new (and bigger) molle pouch for my belt EDC, I was lazy, but seeing this thread gave the impulse to do this one. :cheers: :woohoo:

It is a little bit lenghty for my standards, but I do not want the bead bumping :twak: in the SAK, for the sake of the bead, for the SAK is regrettably scratched. :cry:

This Outrider is my EDC SAK for more than 15 years, I think. I plan to put this fellow to rest in the collection if and when a OH Outrider is available. If not, I keep on using the combination of two SAKs that I use sometimes, or buy a new Outrider, change the scales for this scratched one and keep on truckin'.

Anyway, I really liked this lanyard!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

:cheers:
 :hatsoff:
Outrider Samurai frente.jpg
* Outrider Samurai frente.jpg (Filesize: 51.57 KB)
Outrider Samurai verso.jpg
* Outrider Samurai verso.jpg (Filesize: 53.14 KB)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:52:03 AM by RicardoBorges »
Greetings from Brazil!!!

Erros meus, má fortuna, amor ardente (My mistakes, bad fortune, burning love) Camões

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 03:52:59 AM
I just finnished this one to the good old EDC Outrider black.

This samurai bead arrived some days ago  :mail: together with a new (and bigger) molle pouch for my belt EDC, I was lazy, but seeing this thread gave the impulse to do this one. :cheers: :woohoo:

It is a little bit lenghty for my standards, but I do not want the bead bumping :twak: in the SAK, for the sake of the bead, for the SAK is regrettably scratched. :cry:

This Outrider is my EDC SAK for more than 15 years, I think. I plan to put this fellow to rest in the collection if and when a OH Outrider is available. If not, I keep on using the combination of two SAKs that I use sometimes, or buy a new Outrider, change the scales for this scratched one and keep on truckin'.

Anyway, I really liked this lanyard!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Superb color choice. Royal blue to Purple with black scales exudes a mixture of formality (black) and some royal panache (purple). Also a hint of nocturnal daring. The interwoven pink creates an element of surprise. May I suggest you give some thought to using a flo pen marker in a hue of red as close to the red back ground of the cross as possible on the pink. If the pink of the lanyard were darkened to a red resonating with the scales logo, I think everything would come together even more decisively. Ideally you could find a dark red paracord and retie the lanyard, but you have tied  such a splendidly tight  lanyard I hate to see you untie it. Hence, a careful application of a red flow pen to the pink cord might darken it just enough. That said, it is splendid just as it is, also.

Is it a sliding knot? I have seen some tied so as to slide and tighten on a wrist.

Fine knife, too! I have a 111mm work Champ in red scales and like it a lot. I too wish for OHO on it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:09:42 AM by SgtTowser »

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 05:05:34 AM
Here's one of my MiniChamps with scales from Remade Knives.  Orange paracord with simple snake knots and what better goes with an 8 blade knife than an 8 armed bead.
octobead and MiniChamp (1).jpg
* octobead and MiniChamp (1).jpg (Filesize: 279.82 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

br Offline RicardoBorges

Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 05:52:49 AM
Superb color choice. Royal blue to Purple with black scales exudes a mixture of formality (black) and some royal panache (purple). Also a hint of nocturnal daring. The interwoven pink creates an element of surprise. May I suggest you give some thought to using a flo pen marker in a hue of red as close to the red back ground of the cross as possible on the pink. If the pink of the lanyard were darkened to a red resonating with the scales logo, I think everything would come together even more decisively. Ideally you could find a dark red paracord and retie the lanyard, but you have tied  such a splendidly tight  lanyard I hate to see you untie it. Hence, a careful application of a red flow pen to the pink cord might darken it just enough. That said, it is splendid just as it is, also.

Is it a sliding knot? I have seen some tied so as to slide and tighten on a wrist.

Fine knife, too! I have a 111mm work Champ in red scales and like it a lot. I too wish for OHO on it.

Sgt. Towser,

Thanks for the tips!!!  :salute:

The dark colour is royal blue, but light one is neon orange. The picture changes the colour pattern. I do not have red paracord, yet. but it is no problem to untie it, when the red comes... In fact, I thought of using red, but once I do not have it, I thought that the neon will be easyer to find in dark conditions or in the field, mixed with grass and other small plants and leaves in the ground.

To tie, untie and tie again is good to memorize, since I know only a few by heart.

This is the snake knot, not able to slide in this configuration. It is really a good idea to make a sliding one for the wrist...

I prefer the 111mm ones to EDC, but I carry a 91mm or a 93mm as backup.

I wish all the tools where proportionally bigger in the 111mm, I think about 20%...  :gimme:

Greetings from Brazil!!!

Erros meus, má fortuna, amor ardente (My mistakes, bad fortune, burning love) Camões

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 05:53:03 AM
Here's one of my MiniChamps with scales from Remade Knives.  Orange paracord with simple snake knots and what better goes with an 8 blade knife than an 8 armed bead.

Now this all hangs together in an H.P. Lovecraft kind of way for me. Scales on scales. 8 snake knots. 8 tentacles. There is a serpenty thing running through all the elements. At any moment I am expecting this rig to shape shift into Cthulhu for a moment and then just as suddenly back into the knife and lanyard we see, leaving me uncertain if it really happened, or if I am having a dream vision of Kadath? But the Orange color running through it all is so colorful and Halloween jackolantern-ish that all seems like a just a fun good time.  :like:

br Offline RicardoBorges

Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 05:57:46 AM

Sir PitCarver,

Very very cool octopus bead!!!  :like: :like: :like:

The honeycomb scale is very nice too!!!  :like: :like: :like:

Greetings from Brazil!!!

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 30, 2021, 07:19:11 AM

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What Lanyard Are You Rockin%u2019 Today?
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2021, 07:50:51 PM
I bought the same octopus bead after seeing yours back when, and it was a little bigger than I expected so I decided against using it on a pocket knife, and it has languished for over a year, but I've added it to my new Brisa EnZo Necker 70 which I will start carrying as my EDC fixed blade as soon as I'm not in a monthly challenge.
Folding Hunter 20.JPG
* Folding Hunter 20.JPG (Filesize: 127.3 KB)
Brisa EnZo Necker 70.JPG
* Brisa EnZo Necker 70.JPG (Filesize: 137.68 KB)

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 07:14:00 AM

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 08:39:11 AM

Demko’s  AD 10 in fine fettle with a crisp blue paracord chaser.

That Camo pattern looks kind of familiar, but I don’t recognize the three leopard spots sharply contrasting with the blur pattern. Colors seem right for concealment, but those spots offer pretty sharp tonal and formal contrast. Hmm.

Camo patterns are a fine and precarious balance. Not enough contrasting shapes in the pattern and no break up of human form. Too pronounced of contrasts and the break up calls attention to itself.

One thing that always concerns me for our troops is that no matter how effective a Camo  pattern fools the human eye in combat, enemy reconnaissance drones with military grade optical scanners fed a visual library of our US Camo patterns must be able to make our troops in seconds. Pattern matching is one of the things that computers do well. I always wonder if troops should be given flow pens to draw random forms and shadings onto their uniforms so the AI in the drones cannot be so confident in their pattern matching. Uncle has probably thought this through already on a big budget, but little old me still wonders.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 09:15:18 PM
Here is my Farmer X.
IMG_2052.JPG
* IMG_2052.JPG (Filesize: 193.66 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #24 on: June 06, 2021, 09:45:26 PM
I bought the same octopus bead after seeing yours back when, and it was a little bigger than I expected so I decided against using it on a pocket knife, and it has languished for over a year, but I've added it to my new Brisa EnZo Necker 70 which I will start carrying as my EDC fixed blade as soon as I'm not in a monthly challenge.

Yessir, it is quite large and heavy too, especially on a MiniChamp. However, the knife rides in a small belt pouch so the weight is totally manageable.
It really looks good on your necker.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:33 PM

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 07, 2021, 12:58:20 AM
Changed-out my 'alox' lanyard to this one:

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #27 on: June 09, 2021, 04:24:03 AM

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 18, 2021, 01:11:24 AM

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 01:31:18 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56