Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is a 58mm enough?

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Is a 58mm enough?
Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 01:21:59 AM
 :rofl: I understand that!!
Knife usage is I feel is situational.  58mm is enough.  The small blade on the larger SAKs is a great size too.  My off days are where I find I particular enjoy a small blade.  I did try to cut deep dish pizza a couple nights ago with utter failure.  hahaha

Barry

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 12:11:36 PM
8 or so years ago I experimented with EDC-ing a Rally and separately a Rambler. They were great for not even realising you have a sak being so small and light. The biggest issue I had was my largish hands were not so good with the small size; cut my finger once (it was a remarkably clean cut in defence of the little critter). In the end I concluded that the strength, blade length and grip provided by the 85mm/91mm models made them the minimum size for edc on my end. I still think the Rambler in particular is cool, though!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 01:31:30 PM
Yeah, I love the size of the executive and the two blade choices, but I wish it had the SD tipped nail file from the classic and they would loose that orange peeler. I'd love a 74mm classic but I don't think thats ever going to happen.

I also prefer a real light source from a real flashlight, even a small one like the Eo1 or even the LED mag light solitaire. Over the years I've developed a real dislike of the little coin cells. Give me a AAA light any day!

Ambassador is a 74mm Classic.  One could modify the file tip to a screwdriver. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 01:34:23 PM
My current EDC knife is a Classic in my keychain and a Gerber EAB in the pocket. I'm an office drone, so those plus a paring knife in my lunch box do me fine. I don't use the ten or so pocket knives I have left at work very much otherwise.

You need an Opinel or Victorinox Folding Paring knife for the lunchbox.  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 03, 2021, 01:45:58 PM
I have to agree that a 58mm is probably enough for most people most of the time.  It is certainly much better than no SAK at all.

I could get by with a 58mm some days.  Other days, carrying only a 58mm would definitely leave me wanting.  Specifically:
  • Sometimes the blade on the 58mm simply isn't long enough.  For tasks like cutting up an apple or a summer sausage, the 58mm blade is too short to do an efficient job.  For things like depressing the door latch so I can let myself back in the house after locking myself out, the 58mm blade would probably just be too short to do the job.
  • The 58mm scissors are excellent for their size, but aren't the equal of 91mm and larger scissors, especially when there is tough material (like my fingernails) that needs to be cut.
  • I've saved the day (or at least the meal) more than once with the can opener on my SAK.  The smallest SAKs to feature this tool, of course, are the 84mm line.

Rather than trying to figure out in advance which type of day it will be (i.e. whether or not I will be able to manage with just a 58mm SAK that day), I simply consider a 91mm SAK to be my minimum standard.

This is what I often tell myself.  It's not really the day to day jobs that a Classic can do which have me carrying a SAK. 
It's the times when I have sliced up fruit, opened a door latch, cut a can, or opened the well-packaged delivered breakfast for the company staff meeting.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #35 on: April 03, 2021, 02:05:17 PM
If anyone wants to put their 58/65/74 mm's to the test, there's the Pocket Rocket Challenge coming up!  Plenty of seats available.... :D
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 03, 2021, 03:17:24 PM
If anyone wants to put their 58/65/74 mm's to the test, there's the Pocket Rocket Challenge coming up!  Plenty of seats available.... :D

I've given my 58mm SAKs away (again). All I have left is a knockoff of a Classic.  If we can extend the Pocket Rocket challenge to include Leatherman Micra and Gerber Dime, I'm in. (Or if I buy another one)

Actually.... If we did, I bet we'd have a pretty good number of participants

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 03, 2021, 04:31:00 PM
I've given my 58mm SAKs away (again). All I have left is a knockoff of a Classic.  If we can extend the Pocket Rocket challenge to include Leatherman Micra and Gerber Dime, I'm in. (Or if I buy another one)

Actually.... If we did, I bet we'd have a pretty good number of participants

Aw man, don't do that. A 58mm SAK vs a Leatherman micra will kill the SAK. I love the 58mm, but for actually real world use, the Leatherman micra and squirt kill the little SAK's. Much more rugged, real tools that will take some heavier use in an emergency, and from my experience with he broken scissor spring on my squirt, unbelievable fast turn around time for repair/replacement.

I love SAK's for their fine design and meticulous QA and assembly, but the Leatherman's are in a whole different class. A little clunky and heavy, but you can run them over with a truck and they still work. IN fact, the Leatherman wave we found while out walking was just like that. It was laying in the street, and was scuffed up and dinged all to heck, but still functional. Looked like heck but it worked and apparently fell of a truck and got run over by some vehicles coming and going. My wife ran out in the road and got it. Our son-in-law still has it and uses it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:50:17 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 03, 2021, 04:39:27 PM
Aw man, don't do that. A 58mm SAK vs a Leatherman micra will kill the SAK. I love the 58mm, but for actually real world use, the Leatherman micra and squirt kill the little SAK's. Much more rugged, real tools that will take some heavier use in an emergency, and from my experience with he broken scissor spring on me squirt, unbelievable fast turn around time for repair/replacement.

I love SAK's for their fine design and meticulous QA and assembly, but the Leatherman's are in a whole different class. A little clunky and heavy, but you can run them over with a truck and they still work. IN fact, the Leatherman wave we found while out walking was just like that. It was laying in the street, and was scuffed up and dinged all to heck, but still functional. Looked like heck but it worked and apparently fell of a truck and got run over by some vehicles coming and going. My wife ran out in the road and got it. Our son-in-law still has it and used it.

Hah. Fair enough. Decisions decisions...

us Offline getahl

Reply #39 on: April 04, 2021, 12:17:22 AM
Aw man, don't do that. A 58mm SAK vs a Leatherman micra will kill the SAK. I love the 58mm, but for actually real world use, the Leatherman micra and squirt kill the little SAK's. Much more rugged, real tools that will take some heavier use in an emergency, and from my experience with he broken scissor spring on my squirt, unbelievable fast turn around time for repair/replacement.

I love SAK's for their fine design and meticulous QA and assembly, but the Leatherman's are in a whole different class. A little clunky and heavy, but you can run them over with a truck and they still work. IN fact, the Leatherman wave we found while out walking was just like that. It was laying in the street, and was scuffed up and dinged all to heck, but still functional. Looked like heck but it worked and apparently fell of a truck and got run over by some vehicles coming and going. My wife ran out in the road and got it. Our son-in-law still has it and uses it.
If I could get the scissors on a Micra to cut softer, pliable materials, I'd carry it in a heartbeat and never look at my 58mm's again. Like the plastic on ziplock bags, or a threads. I love the Micra for the tool load out, pocketability, form factor, and size, but I can't cotton to the fact that Leatherman scissors are smurf. It excels at
cutting stiffer materials, but I don't feel like carrying both a Micra and a SAK.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 04, 2021, 01:06:18 AM
If I could get the scissors on a Micra to cut softer, pliable materials, I'd carry it in a heartbeat and never look at my 58mm's again. Like the plastic on ziplock bags, or a threads. I love the Micra for the tool load out, pocketability, form factor, and size, but I can't cotton to the fact that Leatherman scissors are smurf. It excels at
cutting stiffer materials, but I don't feel like carrying both a Micra and a SAK.

Huh, I wonder of that is typical of the larger micra scissors?

I just tried the scissor on my squirt and it cut zip lock bag as well as thin glad wrap off the roll. I've been very impressed with the scissors on my squirt, but then I've sharpened them a while ago with a small Eye-Lap diamond hone. I don't have a micra on hand as I'm not too fond of the micra because of its inside tools and having to open the whole thing just to get a blade or screw driver. I've become so enamored of my squirt that it has slowly been taking over the position that the small SAK's used to have in my EDC. And I love how easy and fast it is to sharpen the chisel ground blade.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 04, 2021, 01:44:50 AM
Huh, I wonder of that is typical of the larger micra scissors?

I just tried the scissor on my squirt and it cut zip lock bag as well as thin glad wrap off the roll. I've been very impressed with the scissors on my squirt, but then I've sharpened them a while ago with a small Eye-Lap diamond hone. I don't have a micra on hand as I'm not too fond of the micra because of its inside tools and having to open the whole thing just to get a blade or screw driver. I've become so enamored of my squirt that it has slowly been taking over the position that the small SAK's used to have in my EDC. And I love how easy and fast it is to sharpen the chisel ground blade.

I've never done a head to head comparison of the Micra and Classic scissors in assessing overall usefulness on various materials. But it's only been about five years that I've been keen on using scissors.  Before that I was off the opinion the east all I needed was a knife.  If I'm honest, the first thing that has me considering scissors at all was the errant whisker I'd find in the mirror at the most inopportune time.  Several years later, work had me cutting plastic packaging often enough.  Enter the Scissors. I'd think the Micra isn't as sharp as the Classic, but the length of the blades was an advantage. 

Unfortunately the Micra is the only available keychain sized tool left in Leatherman's lineup that has the larger scissors.

us Offline getahl

Reply #42 on: April 04, 2021, 04:43:22 AM
The scissors on the Squirts have been fine. Not quite as good as the Classics, but not as finicky as the Micra. The Style CS I lost was the same, so I think it's just a hallmark of their design. I've tried honing/sharpening by cutting aluminum foil, and tried sprucing them up using Pinnah's advice on Bladeforums, with limited success. But not as much success as I'd like. So, Carl, like your feelings on Opinels, there's too much hassle required for them to be kinda passable, and isn't worth my effort.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 04, 2021, 02:07:21 PM
The scissors on the Squirts have been fine. Not quite as good as the Classics, but not as finicky as the Micra. The Style CS I lost was the same, so I think it's just a hallmark of their design. I've tried honing/sharpening by cutting aluminum foil, and tried sprucing them up using Pinnah's advice on Bladeforums, with limited success. But not as much success as I'd like. So, Carl, like your feelings on Opinels, there's too much hassle required for them to be kinda passable, and isn't worth my effort.

I've got a Style on deck for if and when the Micra goes out of commission.  We shall see.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 04, 2021, 03:09:20 PM

I agree on the small SAK scissors being the best. The Leatherman scissors will cut, and do the job, but there is a certain 'fineness' that Victorinox has that is lacking in the Leatherman. I guess thats why I still love the little SAK's, they are like the little ba by Browning; an exercise in fine tool craftsmanship. Metal work finished off with that fine touch. The Leatherman is like the G.I. issue 1911 one compared to a H&K or something from Sig, clunky, heavy, but it gets the job done.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 07:35:23 PM
It all depends on what you intend to do with it.  A 1.5" blade can only do so much, though it is far more capable than many people believe.  I cannot remember the last time I have needed more than a 1.5" blade.  But I do "need" - or at least like to carry - a SAK with a real 3D phillips, flat driver, etc.

So while I can make it through the day just fine with only a Classic or Manager, my desire for some degree of preparedness compels me to carry more.  It so easy to carry more that I see no benefit in doing otherwise.  Each to his own on that one.

(Image removed from quote.)

:iagree: I could do just fine with a 58 or 65mm SAK 90% of the time. However I feel naked without a 84 to 111mm with a saw or can opener for emergencys.

On the flip side I feel equally naked without a 58 or 65mm with a scissors.
IMG_20200828_172444889.jpg
* IMG_20200828_172444889.jpg (Filesize: 228.07 KB)
IMG_20200826_162102557.jpg
* IMG_20200826_162102557.jpg (Filesize: 234.53 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #46 on: April 11, 2021, 11:09:07 PM
Looking great Gene!
Barry

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: April 12, 2021, 04:44:36 AM
At one time all l carried was a Classic these days I carry a 58mm SAK and a Spartan, Tinker, or a Camper. I really like having 58mm scissors and a 91mm with both openers. I find myself using them a lot .

Felix Limmlers EDC is a 58mm SAK here is his you tube video on his EDC.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline SwissMix2020

Reply #48 on: April 12, 2021, 05:24:55 PM
My first real SAK was a Classic.  Had it for years then lost it.  I replaced it with another one and that lasted me a number of years until I forgot it was on my keychain at the airport.

When in town, I usually am with my Climber, it’s because of the scissors on the classic that I’m partial to most SAK models that have a pair.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 13, 2021, 02:08:35 AM
My first real SAK was a Classic.  Had it for years then lost it.  I replaced it with another one and that lasted me a number of years until I forgot it was on my keychain at the airport.

When in town, I usually am with my Climber, it’s because of the scissors on the classic that I’m partial to most SAK models that have a pair.

Yes, that little scissors is a huge tool. So many times I have to cut something, but the knife blade is not the best choice. I love the little SAK scissors. They are ER good!

Second is the SD tip of the nialfile. That little gizmo fit small and medium Phillips screws sooooo well, I have fixed a ling list of stuff with only the SD tipped nail file,

And of course, couldn't open my mail and those Amazon boxes without the knife blade.! :D

Offline kjh1962

Reply #50 on: November 30, 2021, 04:48:33 AM
I've never done a head to head comparison of the Micra and Classic scissors in assessing overall usefulness on various materials. But it's only been about five years that I've been keen on using scissors.  Before that I was off the opinion the east all I needed was a knife.  If I'm honest, the first thing that has me considering scissors at all was the errant whisker I'd find in the mirror at the most inopportune time.  Several years later, work had me cutting plastic packaging often enough.  Enter the Scissors. I'd think the Micra isn't as sharp as the Classic, but the length of the blades was an advantage. 

Unfortunately the Micra is the only available keychain sized tool left in Leatherman's lineup that has the larger scissors.
[/quote
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:58:06 AM by kjh1962 »

Offline kjh1962

Reply #51 on: November 30, 2021, 05:08:00 AM
Sorry, I can't find a way to remove the last reply. I think a Classic or LM Style CS would be a interesting challenge. Contrasting the opinions on both might help someone choose one or the other.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #52 on: November 30, 2021, 07:08:31 AM
I took the time to read through this thread. It was a great read. My experience is as follows:

In my younger days, I carried a 91mm (or maybe 84mm) exclusively. I was loathe to give up the scale tools, and I didn't take the smaller models very seriously. Anything larger than 93mm wasn't on my radar back then.

In my early 30s, I picked up a few Classic SDs, mostly for the staggering variety of designs and logos available. I'd found that writing off the smaller SAKs was a mistake. Their little blades handle everyday tasks just as capably as the blades on larger SAKs, and their scissors aren't slouches, either. Having the file can be handy as well. However...

Sometimes I need a tool that isn't found on the 58mm models (such as the wood saw or pliers). And I prefer the way a larger SAK fits in my hand.

So, I do not exclusively carry a 58mm SAK. The little guys supplement a larger model, especially when the larger model lacks scissors and/or scale tools. Of course, if the occasion calls for it (which is rare), the unobtrusive yet still capable Classic SD would be called upon to serve in a solo capacity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:13:41 AM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

de Offline Shuya

Reply #53 on: November 30, 2021, 10:45:47 AM
Since Ive joint MTO I experienced a lot with different, often smaller loadouts.

Coming from the Knife-Nut-Corner I usually carried way more and larger cutting tools than I needed. A OHO plus a MT plus some SAK.

Going slimmer, ging smaller is a path I went on a lot of days, but personally found my limits.

Small knives I carried are good for like 90% of cutting duties I face on a regular work day. Small in this case means a 5cm/2inch blade like a Barlow, Peanut, small Stockman etc.
The other 10% are mainly food prep where I encounter the limits and I have to do multiple cuts on different sides to do what a larger blade does in one cut. Not only is this sort of annoying, but I also mess up my knife with fluids (juice, ...). Really dont like that.
Having large or according to gloves XL hands, getting a good grip on these knives for woodwork is also not easy.
That means, small knives for me would require to have some addiditoonal larger knive around for fulfilling all tasks I ask for on my daily basis.
This counteracts against my wish to go small, not only in size but also in number.

Following that experience and some minimal challenges I have done here the carry of me boiled down to a Wenger SI for almost 9/10 of days since 2 months.
The other 1 is a 111mm SAK when Out with the family and I have to do all the foodprep with my knife (since my wife does have a knive, but its not glued to her so she usually doesnt carry it  :facepalm: )

To sum up: for an urban tool that only does small cutting jobs in a world full of prepacked things and food, a 58mm would clearly do the job.
Aside this, a 91/93mm (or other knifes with about 3inch blades) is what I consider minimal to go.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #54 on: November 30, 2021, 01:05:01 PM
I always have a 58mm on me, be it a Classic or a Minichamp.  I usually pack something else on me, be it an Opinel, Spyderco, or some other multitool, but truth be told the 58mm is plenty of tool for 90 percent of what I run into.  I have fun carrying the other stuff, but "need" vs fun the 58's (or 65mm Wengers) fill the bill most of the time.  About the only time, anymore, where I really need a multitool is at work.  The rest of the time, the pocket rockets or a good knife does the trick.
Barry

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #55 on: November 30, 2021, 01:26:17 PM
I know plenty of people who carry a 58mm, usually a Classic on a keychain, and they do fine with it... but they also rarely use it. I know some backpackers, bushcrafters and hikers who mostly rely on 58mms for their primary (and sometimes only) tool. 
I have a Mini Champ myself, but to be honest it generally lives in its box on my desk, or occasionally rides in my wallet. It's very cute and I love it, but too many of the tools are too limited and the whole thing is very fiddly for my large hands.

For me personally, once you have to start carrying several other tools in addition to the several tools of your existing multi-tool, that's an indication that your multi-tool is perhaps inadequate.
A torch is understandable, especially now modern ones have advanced well beyond anything you could reasonably expect from pocket-knife integration (although a Nitecore Tini II could probably be rejigged to fit a 111mm), but really if you need can openers and screwdrivers, that's what the larger SAK models are for and that's why I upsized.

BUT...somehow the streets are not littered with the bodies of those who perished because they didn't have a SAK/multitool/knife on them. Life goes on in New York, London, Washington D.C., Dublin, Yokohama, Madrid, Rome, Miami, and most other places around the world with people living their whole lives not carrying a knife or tool of any kind.

That's because they all know someone who does have a SAK/MT on them - In my case, it's usually me... along with a whetstone, lighter, string, USB drive, pen, phone charger, first aid kit, cable ties, gaffer tape, kitchen sink, and all the other junk people ask to borrow.  :pok:  :angel:

I may not save the world on a daily basis, but I often save the day in a worldly basis... and besides, MacGyver never carried a 58mm, either!  :D :P

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #56 on: November 30, 2021, 06:27:50 PM
If I’m honest with myself, there are many days (perhaps even the majority) when I never actually need my SAK (by default, an Explorer) or any other knife. Obviously a 58mm would have been fine on those days.

My problem with the 58mm line is the handle length. I just don’t feel comfortable or safe holding onto such a short handle when I’m using the blade.

When I carry a small pocket knife, I usually default to a two-blade Old Timer or a Case Peanut. One of these, when combined with a Leatherman Style PS, gives me roughly the same tool set as a Classic.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 30, 2021, 07:00:01 PM
58mm knives only really work for me as urban backup. Sure, many days the Signature Lite or a Midnight Manager would be enough. But most days and any outdoor days, they would be close to useless. Aside from daily small blade and scissor uses, I really use the pliers and metal saw daily. Wood saws and openers (mandatory for camping) less often but often enough that I don’t like being without them.

But I gotta say I love how they pair with and backup all my other EDC gear…all from the convenience of my keychain. Like a Workchamp and Signature Lite might seem like an odd couple, but they’re great together.

I used to think I needed to convert everything and anything I’d EDC to Plus scales. With my 58mm knives along for the ride, I never ‘worry’ about that anymore.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #58 on: November 30, 2021, 08:08:22 PM
A rambler lives on every set of keys I own and a classic on the wife's keychains. So I am usually not far from a 58mm SAK. I consider them to be the "backup" tool to compliment whatever else I'm carrying. The only time you'll find me with only a 58mm is when going to a non knife friendly environment.
However my ramblers are an important part of my daily carry. A lot of times the are the only nail file, scissors or small Phillips driver I have with me. Also my only toothpick and tweezers. A rambler trimming a thread out in public is hardly noticed.
I live in a rural area and spend hours of every day outdoors so I don't think a 58mm will replace a larger SAK for daily carry, but it'll always be along for support when needed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:31:35 PM by Jackpine54 »

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: December 01, 2021, 02:49:53 AM
Short answer:  for 99% of your everyday needs;  yes!

longer answer: The beauty of the 58mm,  specifically the Classic SD,  is that the cost-to-benefit ratio is unbeatable. So many useful tools in such a small, affordable package. I'm a firm believer in using dedicated tools when the job calls for it. That said, I've pushed the Classic SD past its limits to see what it can do, and it it's done the job every time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%