Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Design quality Wave vs Surge

hu Offline Mangyang

Design quality Wave vs Surge
on: April 01, 2021, 12:44:56 AM
Hi guys!

I recently had acquired a BO Surge I was happy with the overall quality and the capabilities of the tool but I had some discomforts which were the following:
The nail nick on the scissors seem to be totally unnecessary why did they put it on the tool anyway?
The scissors did cut alright but when the scissor blades were open they were a bit wobbly so I could cut anything except toiletpaper.
The serrated blade was stiffer for some reason than the other outer accessible tools.
The Inside tools were all a bit stiff too so I could not get out only one of them they usually came out all at once and then I had to fan em out and choose the one I needed. Also not that big of a problem.
My biggest problem was the following: The lock levers of the inside tools were a bit loose. They tended to move sideways and when they did they also gave a loud clicking sound. That felt sooo cheap and lame... I tried to oil them, tried to fasten the nearby screws but then the inside tools became even more stiff and hard to open so it was a bit annoying.
The last problem was that those end caps at the bottom of the tool which are held by those torx screws were also movin a little because there was a little gap between them and the handles themselves so they could rotate a little. Also could live with these problems but for some other personal reason I decided to sell the tool.
Not to mention the ridiculous movement of the pocket clip which I immediately solved by gluing in a piece of plastic (thanks for this forum for the idea)

Then recently I got a Black & Silver Wave+. It is a very well made one. All the tools open smoothly even the pliers aren't so snug like almost every Leatherman out there. The inside tools' lock lever also tends to click a little but it doesn't move a bit sideways and also looks a bit thicker and more solid than the ones on the Surge. (How on earth is it possible that they put beefier looking lock levers on the wave than on the Surge?) They are really good looking.
The overall design of the tool seems much better than the Surges. It seems to me that the Wave works a little better and is a more quality design than the bigger stronger better king of all multitools Surge. Forgive me for my impure words.

Did anyone have such experience or was it just me and my particular tools?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Design quality Wave vs Surge
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:12:08 AM
Did you get your Surge new? If so you may have got an off one that snuck through QC. I'm pretty happy with mine.

I guess the nail nick on the scissors is unnecessary if you open with your finger on the spring. Is that really a problem though?
Wobbly scissors is no good, they are one of the best features of the Surge. I just went and tested them on toilet paper and they do just fine. That was a first for me; I normally just tear along the perforations, saves taking a multitool into the bathroom.

Some of the tools can be a bit stiff to deploy from new but they should ease up with use. One of my plier handles always closes before the other.

The pocket clip movement is a known issue.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%