Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should your ideal EDC knife have a combo blade?

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Should your ideal EDC knife have a combo blade?
on: July 05, 2023, 05:31:20 PM
I recently upgraded my EDC knife, and the new one has no serrations like the old one had.  I find that I miss them.  When I need to do some impromptu cutting of a cord or a branch, I find it more difficult without the serrations.

I agree that a smooth blade is more desirable when straight cutting is involved, but my EDC knife is rarely used that way.  The combo-blade seems to have its place.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Should your ideal EDC knife have a combo blade?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 06:24:47 PM
I recently upgraded my EDC knife, and the new one has no serrations like the old one had.  I find that I miss them.  When I need to do some impromptu cutting of a cord or a branch, I find it more difficult without the serrations.

I agree that a smooth blade is more desirable when straight cutting is involved, but my EDC knife is rarely used that way.  The combo-blade seems to have its place.

I couldn't agree more  :tu:

I know A LOT of members here don't like them but I'm a big fan  :2tu: (more utility, for me anyway  :dunno:)
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 06:42:07 PM
Either a fully serrated or a combo blade is definitely my preference.
Might not always cut through everything first time, but you know it’ll do it in the end!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 06:42:35 PM
I've never had the need or desire for a combo blade.  However, my daily carry usually has a saw and many times has a fully serrated blade.  I use a plain blade for rope and a saw for branches.  I struggle to remember a case when I used a serrated blade at all except in the kitchen to cut bread.
- Terry

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 06:50:09 PM
I went back and forth on this for a lot of years; my first true "EDC" knife was a Spyderco Endura with a 50/50 blade. It suited my needs as a Firefighter/EMT and a Reserve Police Officer. However, I've chosen non-serrated blades for all my recent carry knives...they're easier to sharpen and I'm old and lazy now ::)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 08:06:39 PM
I did the combo challenge this year, and I think I can count on one hand the number of times the serrations were helpful. I've also done challenges with knives that had dedicated serrated and PE blades, and found that much more useful. Many (most?) tools with a combo edge have a saw anyway. As NutSAK said, the cases where a serrated blade is better than a PE AND a saw are pretty narrow.

I will say, I think people who haven't done it overestimate how hard serrations are to touch up. Unless you're married to them matching the factory ones exactly, you just need to dig around in there with a file for a bit and you're good to go.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 01:09:18 AM
Like NutSAK, I’ve never really felt the need for a CE.  I’ve generally found them a bit awkward.  I also rarely use a SE outside the kitchen.

CE is really a compromise by definition.  I would have to think that, if I did identity a regular need for serrations, that two blades (one PE and one SE, either on the same tool or different tools) would serve better than one CE blade.

I would suggest though, that when one carries a specific knife or tool regularly, accumulating many uses and becoming intimately familiar with it, a self-reinforcing cycle often occurs (absent any significant failures).  The more one uses the tool and thinks well of it, the more proficient and efficient one becomes with it, and the more proficient and efficient one becomes with it, the more one uses it and thinks well of it.  In short, I’m suggesting that your preference for a CE blade is born of your long experience carrying one, rather than any objective superiority.

The same phenomenon may be observed if someone used to carrying a Buck 110 suddenly swaps it for a Case Peanut (or vice versa).  The Buck 110 fan finds the Peanut rather small and fiddly (even if it objectively cuts what he needs it to cut), and misses the familiar weight of the 110.  The Peanut aficionado finds the 110 heavy and awkward, even though, again, it does what it needed.

Of course, you shouldn’t let my opinion or anyone else’s stop you from carrying what you like/whatever works best for you.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 03:05:41 AM
At least 99% of my cutting tasks are handled perfectly by a plain edged blade. I'll keep a serrated blade or two around for that no more than one percent of the time. But as little as I need them, it makes practically zero sense to regularly carry a serrated edge or a combo edge unless it's in a multi that awlso has a plain edge.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 03:45:01 AM
If I need serrations for cutting rope and the like, I rather have a fully serrated blade :salute: I can never get on with a combo blade and would prefer to have an option of a plain edge blade over a combo blade on many LM tools :salute: of course YMMV and it is always opinion and preference related :tu:

My ideal edc knife has a PE blade and I do always carry a MT that has both blades :D

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 01:07:45 AM
My Super Tinker doesn't have a pe and does okay. However my Spirit has the butter blade and I'm very sad they discontinued that version of it.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 01:48:44 PM
Plain, combo, full serrated. Whatever works for you.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 02:48:16 PM
I couldn't agree more  :tu:

I know A LOT of members here don't like them but I'm a big fan  :2tu: (more utility, for me anyway  :dunno:)
Plain, combo, full serrated. Whatever works for you.

:cheers: :salute:
:iagree: on all counts. I am under the impression that most people prefer plain edges, like you said they are better for straight cutting. But my preferred everyday carry has to be slim and light, and a combo edge adds more utility like Surge said. For instance, my goto is the Skeletool. If you take away the serrations on that you're not really left with many tools. I find myself using serrations often, even though they are indeed a pain to sharpen. Like pfrsantos said, it all depends on your intended use :tu:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 12:55:58 AM
I much prefer a plain edged blade. I can do a combo blade, but I don't like the way the serrations cause binding or get in the way when doing those deep cuts. I did own a fully serrated Spyderco and wow that thing could cut, but in a different way than a straight edge. Serrations have their place, but not on my primary blade.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 03:51:40 AM
Serrations have their place, but not on my primary blade.
:iagree:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2023, 04:26:45 AM
 :iagree: as well.

For instance, my goto is the Skeletool. If you take away the serrations on that you're not really left with many tools.
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. My go to is a Skeletool, and I don't see how I'm missing any tools compared to your combo blade one.

- Terry

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2023, 09:48:13 AM
:iagree: as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. My go to is a Skeletool, and I don't see how I'm missing any tools compared to your combo blade one.

(Image removed from quote.)
My apologies, I meant that 2-in-1 blades make sense on multitools with a limited toolset. Nice carry by the way :tu:

I agree about plain edge for deep cuts, but my EDC is more of a "leave it in your pocket until you need it" kind of thing. My tasks rarely (if ever) involve deep cutting, so it all comes down to preference and indented use :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:44:08 PM by nakken »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2023, 02:58:24 AM
I may be in a minority but I never found a combo blade that useful.  They just seem too small for actual use so if you have a 3 1/2 inch blade and half is straight and half is serrated so maybe an inch or so of serrations.  Yes it is better than not having one at all but also takes away from the plain edge use.

For me I only carry plain edge blades for EDC but all my MT's have a full serrated blade which I will carry when out and about so I have my bases covered!  :)

fi Offline Pilotsupergrip

Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 08:22:08 AM
If I had to choose just one it would be definitely a plain edge.

But I've used fully serrated blades quite a bit also. For normal EDC I don't find the serrations a must but at the construction site I've found it pretty useful as every parcel is secured with half inch wide plastic ties and the ropes used have been at least finger width thick. So my take on this is the heavier the materials that are to be cut the more the serrations may help.

Lähetetty minun SM-A426B laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Curl, Surge, OHT, Crunch, Micra, Squirt PS4, Style CS, Huntsman, Spartan, Classic SD, Armbar Slim Cut

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2023, 10:46:38 PM
I started out on combo edges too, and we've been doing the Combo Edge Challenge each February for a couple of years now.

My EDC for around 15 years has been a SAK, a Pioneer X.  But to be honest, since the Combo Edge Challenge in February 2022 I've carried a Leatherman Skeletool KBX knife almost every day. 

I still find that for the quick cuts that I use the Skeletool for (usually cutting plastic packaging) the combo edge makes quick work of it.  The serrations catch smooth slick plastic and cut though rather than slide off. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.23
Net Balance: $23.77
Below Goal: $276.23
Site Currency: USD
 8%