Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite (or Not) Blade Shape(s)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Favorite (or Not) Blade Shape(s)
on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:39 PM
What are your favorite blade shapes?  Do you have different preferences for different tasks, or for folders vs. fixed?

On the flip side, are there any blade shapes out there that you don't like?

Explain/support your answers.

:popcorn:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Favorite (or Not) Blade Shape(s)
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 09:01:45 PM
Favourite would be drop point because of the belly and overall useful shape of the blade.
Really do not like tanto's, probably for the lack of belly.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Favorite (or Not) Blade Shape(s)
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:33:33 PM
I kinda like them all  :whistle:.  Because our SAKs blade shape is something I'm very familiar with its a favorite.  Wenger more so mostly due to more belly.  It has enough of a tip to puncture and drops enough to not pierce when trying to avoid that.  Its very easily maintained and not as "aggressive" looking as some shapes. 

I am a sucker for a Clip Point.  Its just sexy.  That said its a wonderful shape for piercing to get a cut started and in a pinch grip it can be very precise due to the tip.  I love when it has a swedge.

Having recently acquitted a few Stockman patterns I am enjoying the Spey blade.  I am no skinner or speying anything so for me its the long straight edge matched to the upswept tip that makes it a great all around blade shape.  I can see why this would make a great skinner. 

I am also liking the sheeps foot.  Its been my box cutter since getting the Stockman pattern knives.  My Benchmade 555 blade is a because it does have a nice point to it.  I'm not entirely sure its a Sheepfoot but regardless its a wonderful slicer.  The edge is not as flat as I'd expect from a "true" Sheepfoot but the gently upward angle is nice.  Lots of cutting power on the shape.   

Reverse Tanto.  My Benchmade Contego is a beast.  This is a lot of what I like in a all around fixed blade.  Not exactly sure what a reverse tanto is as it seems like a spey with a point  :dunno:.  It has as long flat edge that sweeps upward to a point.  Theres enough of a upward sweep and tip to be very versatile for most uses I have. 

My GEC fixed blade says its a clip point but its tip is almost inline with the spine.  I've always thought the clip point tip is lower and in the center of the handle if not lower?  Regardless this blade is very nice for food prep.  The belly and tip are great for meat and veggies.  I enjoy using this knife a lot in the kitchen.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD