Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC small diagonal cutters

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

on: April 04, 2021, 10:43:51 AM
Hi guys, I recently bought the Knipex Cobra XS and was impressed by its performance for its size. It's even better than MT pliers.
So I was wondering. Are there diagonal cutters of similar size but better than MT cutters?
If there are, then those, Cobra XS and a Victorinox Ranger would cover almost everything!

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: EDC small diagonal cutters
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 11:01:51 AM
tbh I should carry small wire cutters. and an extra ph0 driver. and a lot of additional tools sine we're not supplied any at work. but that is exactly the point why i don't carry them
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 06:22:19 PM
Hi guys, I recently bought the Knipex Cobra XS and was impressed by its performance for its size. It's even better than MT pliers.
So I was wondering. Are there diagonal cutters of similar size but better than MT cutters?

Klein Tools are good quality, and they make about half a dozen different diagonal cutters that are 4.25" / 108 mm long.  Which one you select depends on whether you want tapered or pointed nose, spring-loaded or not, flush or semi-flush cut, etc.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/diagonal-cutting-pliers/diagonal-cutting-electronics-pliers

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 08:06:26 PM
Kleins
Ideal
Knipex
Jensen

Really every company making electronics service tools makes small cutters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 08:32:43 PM
I have the Knipex 140mm and 160mm Combination Pliers, which are cutting linesman's type pliers. Tough MT pliers usually only come on the heaviest of multitools. While I usually carry the LM Rebar, and have really used it hard, still, its pliers are cast stainless steel, not a forged tool steel. These cut most wire that I deal with on a regular basis (including mostly forms of steel fencing wire). Gerber cutters explode, and most other companies' offerings ding when cutting most of this stuff.   These with most of my SAKs (and the LM Rebar) still come out to being a lighter load than the HD multitools I own from Gerber, Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox or Schrade USA.

I strongly recommend the 140mm for pocket carry. I bought them by accident forgetting they were 140mm and not 160mm (intending to buy a spare), but they are wonderful in a pocket, while the 160mm are very bulky. Between the 140mm Combination Pliers and 125mm Cobra pliers a SAK, and a tool like the PocketWrench II, pretty darn much everything you need is right there ready.

I like Klein as we have two stores nearby (electrical supply and an Ace affiliate) where I can just go by and pick them up. Knipex is just as good, but they do things like the Cobras the others don't.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 08:48:54 PM
When I think of Diagonal Cutters I am thinking of cutting Wire and Cable and electric or electronics things but certainly not steel fencing and hard thick solid wire so maybe depending on the material the suggestion for cutters would change too.

Combination or Linemans pliers also generically called "Kleins" in a lot of trades are much bigger in general than Dikes are in my experience at least and are more appropriate to the task of the bigger stuff usually for sure.

So I guess it boils down to what the OP needs really as much as anything else but I was only really thinking of really small diagonals sized to match  smaller Cobras in general.

These are 6" Kleins next to 125mm Knipex

These are a set of Snap On pliers that I really like and Knipex makes a similar set but the ones I have seen are bigger and I like the size of these for carry

This is a 180mm Knipex and an Orbis angled head diagonal I think made by Knipex also and this is a really handy set though a little larger too

I have the Knipex 140mm and 160mm Combination Pliers, which are cutting linesman's type pliers. Tough MT pliers usually only come on the heaviest of multitools. While I usually carry the LM Rebar, and have really used it hard, still, its pliers are cast stainless steel, not a forged tool steel. These cut most wire that I deal with on a regular basis (including mostly forms of steel fencing wire). Gerber cutters explode, and most other companies' offerings ding when cutting most of this stuff.   These with most of my SAKs (and the LM Rebar) still come out to being a lighter load than the HD multitools I own from Gerber, Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox or Schrade USA.

I strongly recommend the 140mm for pocket carry. I bought them by accident forgetting they were 140mm and not 160mm (intending to buy a spare), but they are wonderful in a pocket, while the 160mm are very bulky. Between the 140mm Combination Pliers and 125mm Cobra pliers a SAK, and a tool like the PocketWrench II, pretty darn much everything you need is right there ready.

I like Klein as we have two stores nearby (electrical supply and an Ace affiliate) where I can just go by and pick them up. Knipex is just as good, but they do things like the Cobras the others don't.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:00:14 PM by ezdog »

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 09:17:57 PM
I think I am going to order the Knipex 70 01 110, because they appear to be 5th pocket friendly. Has anyone used these?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 05:59:33 AM
I think I am going to order the Knipex 70 01 110, because they appear to be 5th pocket friendly. Has anyone used these?

I can't say that I have.  However, I own a handful of other Knipex tools.  I think highly of them, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from Knipex I thought would meet my needs.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 02:54:29 PM

Which pocket is the 5th pocket exactly?

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 03:01:53 PM
The small one on the right side, with the pliers showing.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 03:17:34 PM
Ouch!
That looks like nothing but painful to me?

I wear Carpenters pants every day mainly so that I can carry my usual full sized diagonals every second that I am working but I also am working every second with wire and wire fasteners too so it just makes sense for me too.

The small one on the right side, with the pliers showing. (Image removed from quote.)

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 09:08:33 PM
I just lifted the pliers so as to show the pocket. Normally they disappear. So, no pain!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD