Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck 110 price 528

Full Member Posts: 140 Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Buck 110 price
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:16:47 PM »
Hello
The buck 110 price varies a lot. Amazon have it for 50 usd. Walmart is almost 35 usd. In Uk its above 120 usd. UAE is around 150 usd.
I understand that outside USA it should be more, but thats a lot. Even between amazon and walmart there is a big difference. I think i read somewhere a question," what is there between walmart and buck?".

Am I missing something? Please inform me.
Cheers

Regards
Andetto
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,959 Bored

dks cy

Re: Buck 110 price
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »
Taxes, discounts for volume bought, the usual.

You can get it from around 70Euro on European amazon sites.

Also take into account the shipping costs and potential import taxes

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
No Life Club Posts: 1,891
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:09:59 PM »
Walmart has tremendous market power due to the sheer volume of product they purchase and resell, and they are not shy about leveraging it to get low prices from their suppliers.  In fairness, though, they do pass some of the savings on to their customers, and also have a business model that relies on modest markups with massive sales volumes to drive profitability.

As far as prices in countries other than the US, transportation costs and any import duties must be taken into account.

Not sure if Buck may have some exclusive distributor agreements with companies outside the US, but if they do, those companies would likely have great latitude in setting local prices.

Finally, keep in mind that in the US, advertised prices do not normally include tax; it is generally understood that tax will be calculated and added later.  My understanding is that, in some other countries, taxes have already been calculated and added into the advertised price, so the price you see is the price you pay.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,071 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:44:12 PM »
Over here, I've only seen them in the 3-digit mark, too...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,240 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:43:21 AM »
Well, after all, they're made here, so distribution is cheaper.

Walmart has cheaper stuff in almost every category. In knives, their Victorinox and CRKT and Gerbers for instance are also about the cheapest you will find new.

Why is Amazon more than Walmart in the USA? Short answer? Amazon delivers, Walmart doesn't. A lot of Amazon's sales are "free delivery" which means you still paid for the delivery somewhere. Amazon's marketing strategy and paradigm are all different from Walmart's. WM depends on people to walk in the door and see what they want. Amazon doesn't want any customers walking in their door....they want it all streamlined for delivery. Since they have a good thing going, they know they can depend on people to simply look for what they want on Amazon, click on it, and buy it, many of them not even comparing the price with any other source.

But yes, all the importation and tax costs mentioned by all the others, are a big part of why it costs more in other countries, and because fewer people are buying them, meaning you don't have importers buying them in cases of 10,000 and distributing them all over the place.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
Hero Member Posts: 704 The SAK Also Rises
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 04:54:14 AM »
Buck also packs the 110 with several different blade steels: 420HC is the base model mostly under $50 in USA; S30V takes you to the $100 range; 5140 high carbon steel split the diffference briefly; and truly high performance steel and/or automatic may take them into the $200s. Also Buck has what they call there custom shop, where you pay extra for special scales, better steel, finger grooves and engraving. If you opt for one, you cannot go wrong at any grade level. I own a 110 that came out of a blister pack in a hardware store and I like it in some ways just as much as my 112 from the custom shop. A 112 is a smaller knife at only 3 inches of blade and a little curvature I have never met anyone that actually carries and uses a knife that got a Buck 110 that did not like it. They may decide they need more than a nail nick and two hand opening, but I never hear them say: this is a lousy knife. They are built to last. And they do..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 05:01:48 AM by SgtTowser »

He had decided none of it was true, except what he carried with him everyday.-—SgtTowser
Hero Member Posts: 520
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »
Its not only that.
Taxes and stuff aside, sometimes its just maximizing profit by using spending power and so on.

Believe it or not, Ive bought Solingen made knifes in the USA, even after shipping, taxes and customs it was a tad cheaper than buying the exact knife from a german seller.

I always envy you guys for your cheap USA made knifes, its never the other way. Knifes are  more expensive here in the EU no matter where they were made.
Newbie Posts: 35
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
110 (standard one brass + 420hc) around here goes for 160 bgn, which currently is around 100 usd. Shipping, import fees and taxes, profits of the resellers ... I love buck knives, 110 and 112 especially, and I own 3 110s and 2 112s but because of that prices I got only two of those new.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 06:29:30 AM »
I had a peek while I was in Walmart today--the basic Buck 110 they have in there was just under $35, not counting sales tax, which, here in South Carolina, is 6%.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 36,819
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:11 AM »
The hunting shop in town has the 420HC for US$140 and the S30V for US$250. Other shops are more expensive.

dks cy

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 10:23:41 AM »
The hunting shop in town has the 420HC for US$140 and the S30V for US$250. Other shops are more expensive.
possibly has to do with the higher disposable income of people  in NZ

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,715
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »

:rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:       :rofl:
Show content
:rofl: 
Show content
What's "disposable" income? :think:

dks cy

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 01:07:28 PM »
It has been disposed of .......

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 03:06:39 PM »

:ahhh

Never been to New Zealand.....but I don't think that explains it costing 4 x what it costs in the USA. (They don't have 4x the disposable income we have, and probably not even 2x).

Now this I do know about New Zealand.

1. They are an isolated country, meaning no ships or planes go near New Zealand unless they're going to New Zealand. It's a dedicated run. Not like, oh, you know, if we're trying to ship something to France, we could maybe throw it on a ship headed for Spain, and they could get it across the border by rail. No....no logistical workarounds or conveniences for New Zealand.

2. They are a low population country. That means the volume of cargo bound for New Zealand is minimal and highly specialized. This makes shipping less streamlined and efficient. Also, things like knives are ordered by retailers in smaller batches, because they won't be able to sell 10,000 of the same kind of knife in a year, unlike, say, a country like Brazil or Russia or the USA where that might be feasible. That compounds the inefficiency of shipping costs.

3. New Zealand has an incredibly rigorous customs system. For reasons of disease and invasive pest control, the government is very intent on checking everything that comes in. This adds cost to imports. (I'm not saying they are wrong to do this. New Zealand may be the world's most successful nation at keeping out germs and invasive species. Their physical isolation makes it easier to enforce than most other nations).

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
I'd say you're bang on, especially with the first two points.  :tu:

As far as being the most successful nation at keeping out germs and invasive species.... I'm not sure. We definitely try these days, but organisms introduced in the past have caused a lot of damage and we have lost a lot of species.

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 04:53:19 PM »
I'd say you're bang on, especially with the first two points.  :tu:

As far as being the most successful nation at keeping out germs and invasive species.... I'm not sure. We definitely try these days, but organisms introduced in the past have caused a lot of damage and we have lost a lot of species.

Yes....that's why the government put the current processes in place, because of devastation as you said. What I basically meant is the process is probably the most successful in the world at currently keeping new harmful organisms from entering.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 12:52:06 AM »
What I basically meant is the process is probably the most successful in the world at currently keeping new harmful organisms from entering.  ;)
And COVID-19!  :cheers:

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 03:47:48 AM »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%