Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My beef with pretty, etched, plastic SAK scales

dks · 17 · 1195

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
My beef with pretty, etched, plastic SAK scales
on: April 06, 2021, 01:04:21 PM
Why can't Victorinox find a way to make the drawings on them permanent or at least more wear resistant?

You buy a nice limited edition knife with a pretty picture on the scales - could be  a drawing, camo paint, a flag and so on....

You buy it mainly because of the etching, not because you desperately need another Classic. You pay extra too.

You put it in your pocket and watch the etching fade away.

Yes you can get a sleeve for them, but how many put sleeves on keychain 58mm classics?

I am sure they could use some extra opaque coating, like a layer of varnish to make them more robust, but they do not.

So, you either use the knife and watch it fade away (its not character, I paid to have the etching on, all the time) or, you store it away and just look at it.

I want both -to use it and to visually enjoy it for many years!

Will the cost of a factory varnish be that high? I doubt it will even add an extra 5% of cost.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My beef with pretty, etched, plastic SAK scales
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 02:16:34 PM
:iagree:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:27:59 PM

I keep mine in a leather sheath and worry. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 03:34:48 PM
Random wonderish thought.....

Could we apply some type of hardening clear coat to it ourselves? And have it look nice?  :dunno:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:40:51 PM
Regards
Andetto

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 06:29:50 PM
You could, but I would expect the factory to do it.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 06:33:46 PM
C'mon, guys! Really?!

:facepalm:

That's why you buy (at least) 3 of each: 1 to keep, 1 as backup and, from 3 up, maybe, a user.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 07:39:39 PM
C'mon, guys! Really?!

That's why you buy (at least) 3 of each: 1 to keep, 1 as backup and, from 3 up, maybe, a user.

:imws:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:18:40 PM
 :D :D

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 09:36:16 PM
C'mon, guys! Really?!

Both philosophically and in practice. If it’s a bit rare or spendy, two is the exception.

I think it’s a bit impractical for them to thicken the clear layers by much. I mean in general, they don’t look better once worn or damaged.

I’d rather they made replacement scales for such knives, even if for a nominal fee. Not really a practical solution for them.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:24:19 AM
I think they make too many to be able to stock replacements - they make new classic LE every year, in addition to all the others.

For some, expensive ones, like very LE series it may be worth it, but then you may have people putting these scales on cheaper models and selling them as the expensive LE models

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 10:30:57 AM
C'mon, guys! Really?!

Yup and that's how they keep the money rolling in. It's built in obsolescence, a very successful marketing approach although somewhat distasteful but given the low margins they probably have to rely on it.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 07:26:00 PM
I think they make too many to be able to stock replacements - they make new classic LE every year, in addition to all the others.

For some, expensive ones, like very LE series it may be worth it, but then you may have people putting these scales on cheaper models and selling them as the expensive LE models

Yeah, I’m thinking it would only work if they did such replacements in-house to prevent the resale issue. Impractical and unlikely either way.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline nolongerlurking27

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 12:12:15 PM
I had the same problem this year when I got the scuba diving classic. I tried several sheaths that all added a lot of bulk and ended up making my own out of paracord and thinner twin. Even this added more bulk then I wanted and I ended up swiching back to my normal classic

Offline SwissMix2020

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 01:24:00 AM
For it to last they would have to consider other materials besides plastic, but then weight could become a factor or if they did use protective coatings of some kind the cost of manufacturing would increase.

They appear to be a low margin business.  And almost went under after 9/11.  I saw some sales numbers they posted somewhere and the makers of WD-40 have more revenue and profit than Victorinox.

I think they also now make more Multitools or earn more revenue per multitool sold than a SAK.

SAKs are now more a nod to their heritage and past than the future for growth and survival as a company.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 04:41:16 AM
For it to last they would have to consider other materials besides plastic, but then weight could become a factor or if they did use protective coatings of some kind the cost of manufacturing would increase.

They appear to be a low margin business.  And almost went under after 9/11.  I saw some sales numbers they posted somewhere and the makers of WD-40 have more revenue and profit than Victorinox.

I think they also now make more Multitools or earn more revenue per multitool sold than a SAK.

SAKs are now more a nod to their heritage and past than the future for growth and survival as a company.

Well I certainly hope they aren't going away!  :ahhh
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 05:56:10 AM
Well I certainly hope they aren't going away!  :ahhh

If you mean SAKs, I doubt they will, although I expect the range to keep shrinking. They've been discontinuing more models than introducing new ones for a long time now.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD