Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help/advice

us Offline DavZell

Need help/advice
on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:23 PM

Help me, SAKi-Wan, you're my only hope...

My niece is starting as a Ranger for the National Park Service.  I am making her a custom knife.  I'd like it to be somewhat slim, as it will possibly be pocket carry only, and I'm not sure how young, female, summer Ranger outfits accommodate gear.

I'm planning on kind of an Explorer-Compact-saw mashup

Front                      -- Back
========================      ================================
Blade + Combo              -- Corkscrew with micro screwdriver
Wood Saw                   -- small screwdriver
Magnifying Glass + Philips -- nothing
Scissors                   -- Hook

Plus Scales - possibly wooden custom, if I can figure it out

So, two things:  First, I think I'm set on that configuration, but any feedback?  Second, and more importantly, does anyone know of a good source of a combo tool without buying a Compact for just taking that out?  I know some people dislike them, so if you know anyone that might have taken them out of older models, please let me know.

Thanks,
David

My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Re: Need help/advice
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:44 PM
Exactly the knife I made  :whistle:
20210326_095220.jpg
* 20210326_095220.jpg (Filesize: 220.35 KB)
20210326_095442.jpg
* 20210326_095442.jpg (Filesize: 216.95 KB)
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:13 PM
That's it exactly!!  👍👍. Beautiful knife Guibur!
Barry

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:17:40 PM
Thanks!
 :cheers:
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:32:02 PM
Nice - Yeoman with a saw! :like: :like:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:02:28 AM
The waiter is cheaper than the Compact and has a combo tool, as does the Bantam  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 12:51:27 AM
Garth, did this mod about fifteen years ago he called it Huntsman Light. I made one for myself as well. Check out this thread on a Camper I modded l added a lot of goodies you might be interested in some of them. Check out Felix Immler on you tube for lots of ideas and how-tos as well as all the ways you can use the tools on your Swiss Army Knife it really is a supper tool. Wood scales are totally doable a planer or table saw are nice but can be done with a belt sander or even hand tools if’s that’s all you have. I have a lot of tools in my shop but from time to time I break out my hand tools for fun. For your tweezer, tooth pick, and pen slots start them with triangle needle file then go to a round file then a square file for the tweezer and tooth pick slots. Check out this link on adding a pen to a standard Swiss Army Knife scale. https://youtu.be/CTfEkOQY3ZU  It will give an idea on how to  make that T and T slots. Unless you want to buy a Compact you are going to need to drill a waiter combo tool. A drill press well make this a lot easier I can drill a combo tool with two new drill bits on a drill press. DeWalt 2x and 4x work a lot better. Good luck with your project and have fun.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

ca Offline Altis

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 02:14:41 AM
Very similar to the Woodsman -- just with the combo tool instead of the standard opening layer and two blades. I still maintain the Woodsman is one of the best layouts they've ever made. Your niece will no doubt love it.  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 02:34:27 AM

Help me, SAKi-Wan, you're my only hope...

My niece is starting as a Ranger for the National Park Service.  I am making her a custom knife.  I'd like it to be somewhat slim, as it will possibly be pocket carry only, and I'm not sure how young, female, summer Ranger outfits accommodate gear.

I'm planning on kind of an Explorer-Compact-saw mashup

Front                      -- Back
========================      ================================
Blade + Combo              -- Corkscrew with micro screwdriver
Wood Saw                   -- small screwdriver
Magnifying Glass + Philips -- nothing
Scissors                   -- Hook

Plus Scales - possibly wooden custom, if I can figure it out

So, two things:  First, I think I'm set on that configuration, but any feedback?  Second, and more importantly, does anyone know of a good source of a combo tool without buying a Compact for just taking that out?  I know some people dislike them, so if you know anyone that might have taken them out of older models, please let me know.

Thanks,
David

Congrats to your niece for becoming a Park Ranger  :tu: I love the National Parks, and in my mind they are one of the best ideas America ever had  :cheers:

us Offline DavZell

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 03:09:10 AM
Exactly the knife I made  :whistle:

Awesome!  Thanks for posting the pictures.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 03:09:57 AM
The waiter is cheaper than the Compact and has a combo tool, as does the Bantam  :tu:

I didn't realize that.  Thank you!

us Offline DavZell

Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 03:10:28 AM
Garth, did this mod about fifteen years ago he called it Huntsman Light. I made one for myself as well. Check out this thread on a Camper I modded l added a lot of goodies you might be interested in some of them. Check out Felix Immler on you tube for lots of ideas and how-tos as well as all the ways you can use the tools on your Swiss Army Knife it really is a supper tool. Wood scales are totally doable a planer or table saw are nice but can be done with a belt sander or even hand tools if’s that’s all you have. I have a lot of tools in my shop but from time to time I break out my hand tools for fun. For your tweezer, tooth pick, and pen slots start them with triangle needle file then go to a round file then a square file for the tweezer and tooth pick slots. Check out this link on adding a pen to a standard Swiss Army Knife scale. https://youtu.be/CTfEkOQY3ZU  It will give an idea on how to  make that T and T slots. Unless you want to buy a Compact you are going to need to drill a waiter combo tool. A drill press well make this a lot easier I can drill a combo tool with two new drill bits on a drill press. DeWalt 2x and 4x work a lot better. Good luck with your project and have fun.

Mike

Thanks!

ca Offline Altis

Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 03:45:26 AM

I didn't realize that.  Thank you!

While they look nearly identical, I don't believe the 84mm and 91mm combo tools are the same part, so the Bantam/Waiter/Walker might not work for harvesting the part.

us Offline Sos24

Need help/advice
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 03:47:18 AM
I think that is a great combination of tools, especially for a park ranger.  It is also at the edge of pocketable.

If you don’t do the wood scales, then can I recommend some Smokey the Bear scales.  There are a few different patterns that come on SMKW Exclusive Tinkers.  They aren’t plus but I think wood be fitting.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 04:09:03 AM
While they look nearly identical, I don't believe the 84mm and 91mm combo tools are the same part, so the Bantam/Waiter/Walker might not work for harvesting the part.

The wiki says it should work, just need to drill out the hole for the bigger pins and it'll sit a little lower in the frame  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 07:39:02 AM
The wiki says it should work, just need to drill out the hole for the bigger pins and it'll sit a little lower in the frame  :dunno:

I agree I have used a lot 84mm combo tools for 91mm mods. They do sit a little lower but it never bothered me.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 10:55:05 AM

Congrats to her and to you for making a wonderful gift!  Does she know where she's going to be assigned? 

us Offline DavZell

Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 04:04:21 PM
Congrats to her and to you for making a wonderful gift!  Does she know where she's going to be assigned?

She will be in Zion.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 09:42:16 PM
Sounds like a good layout to me. I’d use the 91mm Combo Tool. I think calling it a Compact Woodsman would be instantly recognizable, for the most part.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 09:59:50 PM

She will be in Zion.

That's great!  Far better than Philadelphia doing Liberty Bell tours.  ;) :(  If she hasn't read it, you might include a copy of Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 01:26:12 AM
You’ll certainly be getting a lot of functions into four layers.

Given that she is going to a “wild” national park and not an “historical” national park, my first choice for scales would be alox for superior resistance to physical (will generally survive drops from reasonable heights onto hard surfaces with no more than cosmetic damage), thermal (you can put it in boiling water if you need to sterilize it in the field), and chemical (bug repellent, camp stove fuel) attack.  Second choice would be G10 or micarta.  I’d stay away from cellidor (too prone to damage if dropped or exposed to common hiking/camping substances) or wood (if not stabilized may have poor water resistance and issues with expanding and contracting due to humidity, may have problems with cracking if dropped even if stabilized).

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 03:05:21 AM
I’d probably use an awl instead of the hook but otherwise it sounds perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 01:35:53 AM
You’ll certainly be getting a lot of functions into four layers.

Given that she is going to a “wild” national park and not an “historical” national park, my first choice for scales would be alox for superior resistance to physical (will generally survive drops from reasonable heights onto hard surfaces with no more than cosmetic damage), thermal (you can put it in boiling water if you need to sterilize it in the field), and chemical (bug repellent, camp stove fuel) attack.  Second choice would be G10 or micarta.  I’d stay away from cellidor (too prone to damage if dropped or exposed to common hiking/camping substances) or wood (if not stabilized may have poor water resistance and issues with expanding and contracting due to humidity, may have problems with cracking if dropped even if stabilized).

At first I thought one of the National Parka SAKs would be a nice choice. Or, of course, this custom crafted one. But I agree with NateJ here. Alex will take more of a beating.

us Offline Sos24

Need help/advice
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 04:09:15 AM
At first I thought one of the National Parka SAKs would be a nice choice. Or, of course, this custom crafted one. But I agree with NateJ here. Alex will take more of a beating.

You could still do your custom Yeoman with wood saw and purchase micarta or titanium scales.  Several sellers on Etsy make custom titanium and micarta scales for 91mm and some even have scale tools to include pen and pin.

If wanting to do alox, the Farmer X would be a good choice.  It would be 4 layers, but she wouldn’t get the mag/phillips layer or scale tools. 

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 06:47:01 AM
I recommend a compass tool or else a compass on the lanyard, and magnifying glass for inspecting insect and snake bites to get stingers and ticks out and to recognize snake bite marks. Having worked a lot of years in wilderness I am kind of obsessed with compasses. With a compass and a topo map, even a
primitive one, I can find my way out of any amount of lost.  For scales consider mounting Orange G10 Swiss Biancos with the glow spots, or else embed some tritium tubes in transluscent scales. In the old days I might have agreed with Alox, but SAKs function fine with cracked scales and replacements by FedEx are always  2 days away. It is far more crucial to find a knife night or day, when you take a tumble, or a bear scatters  a pack than to avoid cracked scales. Hi Viz yellow that glows might be better still, because of all the orange and Earth tones in Zion. Frankly, were it me, I would get her an emergency rescue SAK model, embed some tritium tubes, stuff it with a fire starter AND add a serious leather man and wear both in pouches, I reckon Uncle will supply her the other tools of her trade. Every tool gets hot at 105F, so gotta be in a leather pouch wherever they ride on her. Uncle will specify what can show and what cannot.  Wear the SAK and Leatherman on  her belt or one on her belt and the other on her neck inside her blouse. Even if she doesnt want to carry them on her all the time, they will be in her truck, or entry booth, or lodge office handy. Search and rescue will be a challenge even with choppers. Zion is magnificent desolation that gets hotter than hell in the daytime and, depending on elevation, quite cold at night. It is very rugged desert country. acutely so off any roads outside the GC rim lodge area and the ZION lodge area. Sun is the enemy dawn to dusk and water is everything. You learn fairly quickly in desert how to avoid snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, yellow jackets, mountain lions and cactus. But no one ever learns to handle no water. Always think about water access and staying hydrated. It sounds easy, but when you are trying to learn a new job and how to deal with a bunch of “unfirable” colleagues, plus families on vacation that are clueless about nature, plus  the rube backpackers that don’t know they are rubes, plus all the armed drinkers seeing things in the camp fire shadows on their trucks, it is easy to forget the prime directives: keep sun off head and keep water inside. A hat matters in Zion at 1 pm starting in May—all year really. Sunglasses are not about being cool. On foot, she has to respect the desert the way she would respect the ocean 100 miles out. Both are magnificient. Neither forgives carelessness. But what a magnificient place to learn the desert, what really goes on there, and to be a ranger trying to keep persons from from destroying it while they being edifies by it. She is going to learn a ton about the government way, too. And about the good and bad that goes on out in the desert. The desert is a very cool ecosystem once you get to know it.  All in all a great adventure. As an old coot, I look back and envy her. Whatever tools she brings, keep them hidden from the old Rangers. No matter what she carries they will think her a rube for carrying it. Pretend to listen and learn everything from them about what to carry.  But secretly rely on what you brought until the experienced  Rangers take you into their confidences and provide you something better.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 07:01:20 PM
Sounds like the absolute perfect toolset for a ranger! I wouldn’t change a thing  :salute:
Side Note: Isn’t being an Uncle just the best thing ever?!
 :cheers:

us Offline DavZell

Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 08:12:42 PM
Thanks again, everyone.  I'm still thinking about the scales.  My original plan was to make carved ones uniquely designed for her.  I may still do that, but send along a set of yellow Plus scales in case she needs or prefers them.

I have a tritium dongle on my keychain; maybe I'll send it along as well.

us Offline DavZell

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 08:17:16 PM
Ooooo.  I just had an idea.  I have some super reflective tape.  I also have some outside-rated glow powder.  I could either make a reflective/GID fob, or incorporate pieced of tape and epoxied GID powder into the design as leaves on trees or something.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #28 on: April 10, 2021, 04:54:00 AM
Ooooo.  I just had an idea.  I have some super reflective tape.  I also have some outside-rated glow powder.  I could either make a reflective/GID fob, or incorporate pieced of tape and epoxied GID powder into the design as leaves on trees or something.

:tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 06:28:49 AM

@Comis made me some GITD scales with tritium vials (in the bottom of tweezer slot).

The scales are a bright glittery blue, so they would be easy to spot in daytime as well.

The glow tape and powder could work good.  Here is his “how-to” thread.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82762.msg2011373.html#msg2011373

You could also add a FireFly (which is a firesteel that goes in place of the toothpick) and some helix tinder (which fits on the corkscrew) from Tortoise Gear.  She wouldn’t want them as a primary means, but good in emergency.

You could also wrap it in a Zion topographic map bandana.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%