Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird Designs in the Multi-tool World.

Chako · 15 · 2257

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Weird Designs in the Multi-tool World.
on: April 10, 2021, 06:41:54 AM
There are a lot of weird and unusual designs out there for multi-tools. Here is a sampling of a few that I have.

1. Weird removable handle hatchet/plier/crimper/nail puller oddity.

20210409_232524A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_232931A by Chako, on Flickr

This comes in a not that bad clamshell case that opens via a pair of Velcro tabs. The handles slide into grooves on the removable head. The hatchet is rather hilarious, but the nail puller is as good as those found on any hammer. The pliers are an odd design as you can only use them in the downward position. There is also a needle nose plier with several crimper features found in the usual position. I suppose you could use both handles as seperate tools on a job if you had to. Just a weird tool in design and function.

2. How about an adjustable wrench, hammer, and plier combo tool? This tool features some sockets and a pair of screwdriver bits. How you use the socket is definately odd. You pull off the hammer head to uncover the stem for the socket set. This model is far better quality than that of the above tool. The adjustable wrench is buttery smooth. See how the head is attached to the handle...that is the point of weakness with this tool. I bet it falls apart with some hard use.

20210409_233924A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_234028A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_234121A by Chako, on Flickr

3. There are a lot of hammer tools that follow the same design pattern. Here is a bit of an odd one. Why not add a needle nose plier to the mix?

20210409_234226A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_234324A by Chako, on Flickr

A lot of Chinese cheap tool have the same tool layout.

4. Another variation of hammer and adjustable wrench with folding out pliers.

20210409_234433A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_234536A by Chako, on Flickr

5. Now for something completely daft...a mini hatchet. This one comes with a nice sheath and is sharp from the factory. It has a hammer on the back end.

20210409_234736A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_234832A by Chako, on Flickr

6. Another daft mini hatchet design but with an added twist.

20210409_235027A by Chako, on Flickr

7. A sheffield branded mini hatchet with hammer on the back end. This one is oddly of slightly better quality design wise compared to some listed above...but that isn't saying much. No clue what you would ever use these little light hatchets on to be frank. No good for cutting wood, kindling, etc. Maybe to cut some peperettes maybe?  :think:  :rofl:

20210409_235150A by Chako, on Flickr

8.  A pair of Swiss+Tech Mobile-Tech cell phone cases for the iPhone 6 and Samsung Galexy S4. Actually not a bad idea this one. Why not steal the Swiss Card idea and functionality and add that to the back of a cell phone case. Not sure why the Samsung owners get an extra toothpick as there is the same room on the iPhone case for one as well.

20210409_235422A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_235445A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_235556A by Chako, on Flickr

20210409_235643A by Chako, on Flickr

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Re: Weird Designs in the Multi-tool World.
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:04:28 PM
Well, that's  :like: , weird.....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 03:03:54 PM
Some could be quite nice tools if they were made a bit better
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 03:05:41 PM
Some could be quite nice tools if they were made a bit better

:iagree:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 11:21:30 AM
Great list!   :D

I would never buy a tiny hatchet MT because they don't really split wood very well.  BUT if I did, I would certainly never get one where the axe head splits open to be used as a terrible pair of pliers or one with an adjustable wrench on it.  It looks like the #7 item was the only one with a decent design.  The tools fold out of the handle going the right direction so that the axe blade is pointed down when using the knife or saw rather than having it rested against your wrists.  (suicide MT  :dunno: )

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:23:06 PM
Great point K_G :tu:
I had to have another look at the multi tools to see what you were talking about but :iagree:
That it is stupid having the hatchet facing your wrist when using the fold out tools  ???

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:57:43 AM
Great point K_G :tu:
I had to have another look at the multi tools to see what you were talking about but :iagree:
That it is stupid having the hatchet facing your wrist when using the fold out tools  ???

:hatsoff:
I saw a YouTube video years ago where someone was testing hammer and hatchet multitools.  The guy in the video was bleeding after one of the "plier" tools popped open while he was hammering, causing him to hurt his hand in some way.  Then he almost cut his wrist with the axe blade before he gave up on sawing through a little branch. 

It's kind of sad really, I feel like there is a place for a small hammer multi tool to exist.  I've just never seen one with a genuinely good design and quality. 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 01:52:47 PM
WeAllJuggleKnives had a review of a hammer multi-tool that was decent. It was a claw hammer design. Hammer and nail puller, no useless axe that is only good for cutting the user. Delko maybe? Something like that, though it can surely be found under multiple brands.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 03:44:25 PM
:hatsoff:
I saw a YouTube video years ago where someone was testing hammer and hatchet multitools.  The guy in the video was bleeding after one of the "plier" tools popped open while he was hammering, causing him to hurt his hand in some way.  Then he almost cut his wrist with the axe blade before he gave up on sawing through a little branch. 

It's kind of sad really, I feel like there is a place for a small hammer multi tool to exist.  I've just never seen one with a genuinely good design and quality. 
It makes you wonder who thinks up these badly designed tools it must be someone that has never used a multi tool in his life  :dunno:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 09:07:37 PM
WeAllJuggleKnives had a review of a hammer multi-tool that was decent. It was a claw hammer design. Hammer and nail puller, no useless axe that is only good for cutting the user. Delko maybe? Something like that, though it can surely be found under multiple brands.

In the "real tool world" there have been multiple iterations of combo tools that combine a hammer with other tools. One common and fairly successful one is the so-called fencing pliers, or fencing tool. Many's an hour I've regrettably spent wielding one of these:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 01:01:53 AM
This is the photo of the pterodactyl multi tool I saw online.  I think it qualifies for this conversation.
IMG_0680.JPG
* IMG_0680.JPG (Filesize: 319.72 KB)
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 03:40:22 AM
This is the photo of the pterodactyl multi tool I saw online. I think it qualifies for this conversation.

It certainly does !   :D   :pok:   :rofl: 
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 03:50:12 AM
I saw that video.  I have a very similar hammer MT that I got for a few bucks one day.   Mine does NOT have the fold out pliers like the Delko one that he had in the video.  I have often thought that if my tool had those pliers might be enough to make me carry the tool from time to time.  Sadly mine sits unused most of the time. 

In the "real tool world" there have been multiple iterations of combo tools that combine a hammer with other tools. One common and fairly successful one is the so-called fencing pliers, or fencing tool. Many's an hour I've regrettably spent wielding one of these:

(Image removed from quote.)

I never understood those until I was at a friends house helping him put up a quick temporary fence to keep his livestock from escaping.  The "fencing pliers" are fantastic if all you are using it for is twisting and hammering bailing wire on a fence post.  It's a great specific tool.  But try using one to get to a bolt inside an engine compartment or some other enclosed space.  The hammer and the plier jaws are compromised by each others presence in most cases where you would only need one or the other.  :( 

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 03:53:57 AM
I never understood those until I was at a friends house helping him put up a quick temporary fence to keep his livestock from escaping.  The "fencing pliers" are fantastic if all you are using it for is twisting and hammering bailing wire on a fence post.  It's a great specific tool.  But try using one to get to a bolt inside an engine compartment or some other enclosed space.  The hammer and the plier jaws are compromised by each others presence in most cases where you would only need one or the other.  :(

Yep....I'm pretty sure that's true for most multi-tool pliers combined with a hammer,also.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 04:14:08 AM
 :iagree:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68