Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss+Tech knife based tool that isn't bad!

us Offline King_Gorilla

Swiss+Tech knife based tool that isn't bad!
on: February 11, 2021, 02:59:18 AM
I used to LOVE Swiss+Tech back in the early 2000s.  I had a few of their little tools that were made really well.  Then their quality dropped like rock and they started mostly making garbage keychain tools.  A few days ago I saw this Swiss+Tech 13-in-1 multi tool knife on Amazon and it had a little discount coupon attached as well.  It looked way better than the majority of their products so I bought it. 

DSC_3070_copy_1382x777.jpg
* DSC_3070_copy_1382x777.jpg (Filesize: 103.38 KB)
DSC_3072_copy_1382x777.jpg
* DSC_3072_copy_1382x777.jpg (Filesize: 101.43 KB)
DSC_3073_copy_1382x2456_copy_691x1228.jpg
* DSC_3073_copy_1382x2456_copy_691x1228.jpg (Filesize: 190.48 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Re: Swiss+Tech knife based tool that isn't bad!
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:20:04 AM
The whole thing is metal on metal on metal.  No plastic anywhere.  The blade is a nice drop point with a hollow grind.  I can open it with one hand but it is not super easy.  I believe it will get easier as I use it more.  All the tools lock well. 
There is a small issue with tool clump.  Not bad but it does happen a little.  It also has a can opener similar to the victorinox design.  A strap cutting hook tool with an edge for opening boxes and a slotted driver on the tip.  The phillips head driver is great!  It reminds me of a driver I saw on a SOG tool.
There is also a file but it's pretty weak.  I really like that they put a diamond side one it, but it's not made with that hard file-metal that is should have been made with and as you can see in the picture, where there should be a "hack saw" edge, it is smooth as a hard boiled egg. 

As I was looking at it, I realized that they pretty much copied the inside design of the Leatherman crunch.  You can see the similar layout in the picture.  Blade, slotted, phillips, slotted, file.  Too bad the file isn't nearly as good as the one on the Crunch. 

There is also a very strong carabiner clip that works as a bottle opener (but not as well as the one on the Signal or the Skeletool)  and a glass breaker at the butt.

I am very pleased with it so far.  I only spent $16 total!  The only really negative parts are the file and the gut hook tool.  I may try to replace the file with a better file or a wood saw.  The strap/gut hook tool would be a good spot for an awl.  But who knows if I will carry this thing enough to motivate me to mess with it.   
DSC_3075_copy_1382x777.jpg
* DSC_3075_copy_1382x777.jpg (Filesize: 177.78 KB)
DSC_3077_copy_1382x777.jpg
* DSC_3077_copy_1382x777.jpg (Filesize: 151.13 KB)
DSC_3076_copy_1382x777.jpg
* DSC_3076_copy_1382x777.jpg (Filesize: 216.06 KB)
DSC_3074_copy_1382x2456_copy_691x1228.jpg
* DSC_3074_copy_1382x2456_copy_691x1228.jpg (Filesize: 124.6 KB)

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:53:31 AM
Looks like a good tool for the money, sometimes good to have something you don’t care about losing or abusing, so for $16 bit of a bargain.

That small pliers, screwdriver tool you show in one of the pics I’ve found near useless tbh, the handles fold if you try to grip anything and frankly what do you ever need to grip that small, the drivers are sometimes useful though, particularly the mini ones

Their best tool IMO is the utili-key and that probably cost me $10 so your $16 sounds very reasonable.
The utili-key weighs next to nothing, takes up no space on a key ring or in a wallet and has been quite useful over the years.

Once used the tiny blade to fashion a dog lead for my ridgeback out of some found string when the original broke while out on a walk, was very glad to have it with me

:cheers:

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:16:47 AM

That small pliers, screwdriver tool you show in one of the pics I’ve found near useless tbh, the handles fold if you try to grip anything and frankly what do you ever need to grip that small, the drivers are sometimes useful though, particularly the mini ones

Their best tool IMO is the utili-key and that probably cost me $10 so your $16 sounds very reasonable.
The utili-key weighs next to nothing, takes up no space on a key ring or in a wallet and has been quite useful over the years.

I don't blame anyone for having a negative opinion about Swiss+Tech.  Their quality is all over the map.  About 20 years ago I bought one of those little plier tools and the utili-key.  Both were really well made.  I didn't feel like the utili-key had much value because it was SO difficult to open it up and use it, but as you said, it weighs nothing so it works well as an back-up back-up last resort screw driver/blade/bottle opener.  But then after taking it on 7 or 8 flights over a decade or so, one TSA agent decided to be d bag and confiscate it.  Over the years I started to buy several replacement pliers and utili-keys but they were ALL garbage.  So I don't know what happened to Swiss+Techs standards but I know that they used to make good stuff but now a lot of it is worthless.  But I'm pretty happy with this knife.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:54:55 AM
I don't blame anyone for having a negative opinion about Swiss+Tech.  Their quality is all over the map.  About 20 years ago I bought one of those little plier tools and the utili-key.  Both were really well made.  I didn't feel like the utili-key had much value because it was SO difficult to open it up and use it, but as you said, it weighs nothing so it works well as an back-up back-up last resort screw driver/blade/bottle opener.  But then after taking it on 7 or 8 flights over a decade or so, one TSA agent decided to be d bag and confiscate it.  Over the years I started to buy several replacement pliers and utili-keys but they were ALL garbage.  So I don't know what happened to Swiss+Techs standards but I know that they used to make good stuff but now a lot of it is worthless.  But I'm pretty happy with this knife.
Reckon your $16 purchase is a bit of a bargain KG, and for that price be happy to try it myself, not that there’s any shortage of MT’s or sharps in the house
As I said above I really like the utili-key, I’ve got a couple. You’re right they are smurfing fiddly to open, but for such a tiny thing really useful when nothing better to hand. Quality hasn’t been a problem for me and I’m not really negative on the brand, it’s just the folding pliers I have don’t really do the job as intended due to the handles folding up in use, the drivers do work well though.
:cheers:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 02:45:18 AM
Looks like a really interesting design. I like the carabiner clip on it. The sole problem I have is that the Leatherman Free T2 these days is easy to find for $25, brand new.

Funny you mention the older tools. When I was a teen, I picked up one of the modern cheap versions of it, and the drivers chipped, the pliers rusted, and the cutters dinged on rebar binding wire. So highly polished, you couldn't grip anything with it. About a year ago, I purchased one with the "LKL" stamp on the pivot, as well as "SWISS-TECH" and "USA" on the handles. That thing is as tough as nails, and I've cut rebar binding wire a lot, without a mark. And, the pliers grip well, and unlike the small LM tools, there is no way I'm gonna snap a jaw off of the old SwissTech.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 11:41:45 AM
Looks like someone in swiss+tech had access to SOG leftovers hehe.

It’s great to see alternative beaters at competitive prices though.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:32:19 AM

Funny you mention the older tools. When I was a teen, I picked up one of the modern cheap versions of it, and the drivers chipped, the pliers rusted, and the cutters dinged on rebar binding wire. So highly polished, you couldn't grip anything with it. About a year ago, I purchased one with the "LKL" stamp on the pivot, as well as "SWISS-TECH" and "USA" on the handles. That thing is as tough as nails, and I've cut rebar binding wire a lot, without a mark. And, the pliers grip well, and unlike the small LM tools, there is no way I'm gonna snap a jaw off of the old SwissTech.

Just read your comment and went to look at my little Swiss+Tech pliers.  (After years of bad buying garbage swisstech, I found an old one online) The rock solid swisstech pliers that I put in the picture above also has the "LKL" stamp that you talked about.  Do you happen o know what that stands for??? 

us Offline cody6268

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:44 PM
Just read your comment and went to look at my little Swiss+Tech pliers.  (After years of bad buying garbage swisstech, I found an old one online) The rock solid swisstech pliers that I put in the picture above also has the "LKL" stamp that you talked about.  Do you happen o know what that stands for??? 

LKL Innovations, the original company that sold and made these. I suspect LKL was the initials of the founder or founders that started the company.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 10:23:49 PM
LKL Innovations, the original company that sold and made these. I suspect LKL was the initials of the founder or founders that started the company.

LKL = Larry K. Legg

See patents here: https://patents.justia.com/assignee/lkl-innovations-ltd
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline mikekoz

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 09:07:20 PM
I just got one of these. It was 15% offon Amazon and I had some credit points to use on my Amazon credit card. I got it for just over twelve dollars and I am real happy with it. This is the first Swiss Tech tool I have purchased that at least seems like a good quality tool. The knife came razor sharp, all of the tools open and close easily, and it looks like it can be easily maintained, or modded, if you are into that. The only thing missing that I would like to have seen is scissors. I also have a Gerber Armbar, which I like, but how come Gerber could not make a $35.00 to $40.00 tool with all locking components, but an off brand tool that is $18.00 do so?     

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 01:44:33 PM
I also have a Gerber Armbar, which I like, but how come Gerber could not make a $35.00 to $40.00 tool with all locking components, but an off brand tool that is $18.00 do so?   

Well, I don't have an Armbar myself, AND I'm sure that there are several reasons that affect the prices.  BUT I would say that the Gerber brand name is part of that issue.  Any of the big 4 will usually charge more for their products than an off brand company will charge for similar stuff.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%