Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Making a Yeoman - questions

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: Making a Yeoman - questions
Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 11:19:28 AM
...regarding the Pinstock, be sure to let me know when the letter arrives - I´m looking forward to see some progress with your project.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 05:32:59 PM
...regarding the Pinstock, be sure to let me know when the letter arrives - I´m looking forward to see some progress with your project.

Will do, I've been checking my mailbox everyday  :D Can't wait to get started on it!

de Offline crackout

Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 06:33:34 PM
I tried to put the can opener from a Pioneer in front of the blade. Didn't work for me. The blade is bent parallel to the scale but there's still not enough room.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:23:18 PM by crackout »
Say my name.

gb Offline Zag

Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 12:26:30 PM
I have just discovered this thread and would be interested in the outcome but while i agree that the cap lifter is stronger than the combotool wouldn't the pin be the weakest point if trying to pry with it?
So no matter which tool you put in there the brass pin willbe the first to break.
AloxWorld.com

de Offline crackout

Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:57 PM
Also the holes in Alox scales are a weak point in the system.
But come on, who pries like a beast with a SAK?
Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 02:43:53 PM
I tried to put the can opener from a Pioneer in front of the blade. Didn't work for me. The blade is bent parallel to the scale but there's still not enough room.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you have the spacer on the wrong side?  There needs to be a spacer between the scale and cap lifter, and no spacer between the caplifter and the liner.  Thats the only way I can see it working, otherwise the blade would hit the caplifter.

The brass would be the weak point on standard alox for sure, but once I have swapped in tempered steel pins, it woudl be the scales that I would expect to fail then.  Even still it would take alot more force than the combo tool for prying, those things are much thinner than the cap lifter and would bend much easier.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline crackout

Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:33 PM
Yep, spacer between scale and lifter.
Say my name.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 01:40:50 AM
The pin stock is here!!! Now I've just gotta wait on my ball peen hammer, and this mod will soon be under way :D

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 09:36:54 PM
Sorry for the necro, but I tried searching and couldn’t find this anywhere else:
Has anyone succeeded in making a large blade / caplifter layer for their mods? It seems you guys here were well on your way. Can it be done? Any tips on how to, and pitfalls?
I would be interested in making a Yeoman with such a layer, instead of the large blade / combo tool.

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #39 on: April 14, 2021, 08:48:07 PM
Did some experimenting today. I have an increasingly hard time believing this could actually be done. What am I missing here?

My problem is that, when using the normal spring for large blade / small blade layer, the cap lifter sticks out way too far when closed. That is not only ugly, and it will snag on things, but most importantly, it will cover the nail nick on the large blade.
I don’t see any room to remove any material of the spring (as suggested earlier in this thread), as it is too thin for that amount of material to be removed.
I don’t see enough room to remove material of the cap lifter itself either, as the ‘hook’ of the cap lifter will be compromised, or most likely have to be completely removed. I would really like to keep the cap lifting function intact.
Can’t use the spring from the opener layer either, because the cutting edge of the blade is going to hit the spring when closed.
All in all this is way too complicated a mod for me to be attempting for my first one. And I don’t have enough cap lifters to just try and sand one down.
So, just an ordinary Yeoman it will be.
I did learn quite a lot about the build and layout of SAK’s today though.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 11:54:06 PM
Nope that won't work.  Cap lifter is too thick and is designed to only work on the special shaped opener layer spring.  You'd have better luck with a 84mm cpanlifter with pivot end reshaped to match small Blade pivot end.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Jellyfists

Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 03:31:22 PM
Thanks, I might try that at a later date.
Practicing peening and etching blades at the moment...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%