Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Celluloid SAK scales - which years and models?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Celluloid SAK scales - which years and models?
on: April 10, 2021, 06:50:12 PM
Hi, all.

Fearing about celluloid scales corrosive gassing, I have been trying to find out more about which of my older SAKs did have celluloid scales, but searching online and on MTO didn't yield very definitive answers on the question. 

The closest thing I could find is a thread by Jazzbass long ago:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82676.0.html
which he talked about "scales variation", in which he mentioned Spartan did use celluloid scales back in 40s.  But I don't think he did mention whether celluloid was used prior or after the 40s, or other models.

An article from Blade magazine did mention use of celluloid starting 1937, but after 1971 it is cellidor.  But that's a pretty wide blanket statement, considering there are so many models that were not using celluloid even prior to 1971.
https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/blue-chips-collecting-swiss-army-knives

My questions:

1) Could someone please let me know on what years(or approximately) did Victorinox use celluloid scales on SAKs?  In Particular, 91mm or soldiers, which I did collect some vintage models and plan to continue collecting.

2) What is a tell-tale sign of celluloid vs cellidor?  Besides corroded shield/liner/rivets or broken scale around rivet/shrunk scale?  If no sign of corrosion, is it still easy to tell by picture or feel?

Thank you in advance!  Any tips are much appreciated! :hatsoff:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Celluloid SAK scales - which years and models?
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:55:33 PM
*bump  :D

Maybe anyone with experience with celluloid SAK or even celluloid could comment on their experience?

Offline SwissMix2020

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:08 AM
I only know of celluloid on some old fountain pens and the primary concern other than they are flammable...they expand in water when left to soak for too long.

It’s part of the reason if you ever get a vintage fountain pen, letting it soak in water is not a good idea when trying to clean and coax loose some parts and ink.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:19:40 PM
I only know of celluloid on some old fountain pens and the primary concern other than they are flammable...they expand in water when left to soak for too long.

It’s part of the reason if you ever get a vintage fountain pen, letting it soak in water is not a good idea when trying to clean and coax loose some parts and ink.
Those are very valid concerns.  I think for knife/tool collectors, one reason they worry about celluloid scales is because it emits acidic gas--which in confined space(like a drawer or a organizer), it may corrode the knife/tool itself or neighboring tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%