Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How often do you use the Corkscrew?

us Offline Steelej1976

How often do you use the Corkscrew?
on: April 15, 2021, 03:58:40 PM
I recently got a Climber and I am really enjoying it  :climber:.  I love the corkscrew but really haven't found a real need for it yet, I know I will find uses as I keep carrying it but it got me thinking how often do you use the corkscrew? Once a week, Once a month, Once every 3 months, etc...

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Re: How often do you use the Corkscrew?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 04:06:17 PM
Once a week I would say, I don't like the back philips which is not handy and really prefer the corkscrew.
Plus I have the mini screwdriver with the corkscrew which I often use as well...
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 04:09:03 PM
I recently got a Climber and I am really enjoying it  :climber: .  I love the corkscrew but really haven't found a real need for it yet, I know I will find uses as I keep carrying it but it got me thinking how often do you use the corkscrew? Once a week, Once a month, Once every 3 months, etc...

I drink cider (bottle caps/cans) and STWBO prefers fizzy stuff; Prosecco (she is Italian) or Shampoo  :D

So, to answer your question, hardly ever and not for undoing knots either  :dunno:

#guibur  :whistle:
SAK v FAK.JPG
* SAK v FAK.JPG (Filesize: 31.38 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 04:12:14 PM
I’m with guibur on this, the mini-screwdriver gets plenty of use so the corkscrew is an essential for me, though the corkscrew itself only gets occasional use as a corkscrew because a) even decent whites and rosés come with screw tops these days and b) if I’m at home I have a nice collection of corkscrews I prefer to use, Campagnolo for those old, fragile corks, and my Laguiole or the Vic Wine Master for newer corks.....

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 04:13:53 PM
Good point, SurgeUK - I’d forgotten that the corkscrew is great for opening hard-to-open jars, a tip I learned here! :tu:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 06:51:36 PM
No use for a cork screw. I carry a Tinker - Phillips is a must have for me.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 06:53:13 PM
Usually I do not remember using it
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 07:10:43 PM
Can’t say I use the CS much aside from mini SD and FireAnt/Helix Tinder storage.

The sad honest truth is that I wouldn’t even choose it to pull a cork except as a last resort.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 07:18:33 PM
No use for a cork screw. I carry a Tinker - Phillips is a must have for me.
Rich
+1  :iagree: :like: :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 07:22:01 PM
Constantly as a fidget toy or to open cans of coke (saving my nails), often for knots.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 07:52:56 PM
I would never carry a SAK with CS. I find it very annoying on the knife handle and have absolutely no use for it.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 08:26:59 PM
I'm not sure I've used one in the 21st century.  :think:

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 08:34:05 PM
I drink cider (bottle caps/cans) and STWBO prefers fizzy stuff; Prosecco (she is Italian) or Shampoo  :D

So, to answer your question, hardly ever and not for undoing knots either  :dunno:

#guibur  :whistle:
I should really get a French Army knife, with all those corkscrews I'll be able to carry the 4 new colored mini tools with the different bits!  :whistle:
 Problem solved  :rofl: :rofl:
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 11:19:07 PM
I should really get a French Army knife, with all those corkscrews I'll be able to carry the 4 new colored mini tools with the different bits!  :whistle:
 Problem solved  :rofl: :rofl:
:tu: :rofl: :drink:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 01:08:54 AM
Unfortunately not as much as I used to :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 01:35:09 AM
I have never used one and cant stand any knife that has one taking up all of that space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 01:42:50 AM
I use the corkscrew to hold the mini SD. Neither see much use, but I prefer to have them than not as I find them more useful than the back Phillips. For instance, the corkscrew has opened cupboard doors without handles, just the holes. And of course it's great for loosening knots and cleaning under fingernails. And the other day I couldn't have helped the nice woman whose lens fell out of her glasses when the screw that held it in had got loose and dropped out. (Amazingly, she found the screw! A tiny, tiny thing that needed tweezers to reinsert into its place. Her husband came over and told me he too had a SAK at home, and that it was "better" than my Tourist. I guess he meant it had more tools, which as we know doesn't necessarily make a knife "better"!)

I've never used a SAK corkscrew to pull corks. My old long serving scout knife's CS saw a fair bit of use over the years until the 2000s, when corks were made 99.9% extinct by screw tops, and I only got into SAKs a few years ago.
Rambler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 02:33:47 AM
30 years ago mine saw a ton of corks attached to bottles of heavenly nectar, but I haven't had much opportunity lately.  My corkscrew does tackle knots regularly.  I've been back and forth between the corkscrew and the Philips screwdriver, but I've finally settled on the corkscrew.  Just for the mini screwdriver alone it's worth it to me let alone some of it's other uses.  I prefer the inline Philips head for tackling jobs. 
Barry

us Offline Hofy

Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 03:53:32 AM
Corkscrew, most worthless tool for non wine drinkers.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 05:13:13 AM
Corkscrew, most worthless tool for non wine drinkers.

:like::iagree:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 05:19:31 AM
Sometimes I use one for some frustratingly nearly-impossible task....usually only after I have tried other tools and failed. More than half the time, the corkscrew fails these tasks as well. Every once in a while, it's the quickest thing to whip open when you have to puncture some cellophane or something. But not if that pesky little micro screwdriver is in the way.  :whistle:

I keep hoping I'll find something useful to do with it. Since it's there. Prefer a bsp to a bscs any day. But these days, I carry a SwissChamp, Hunter, Farmer, and Classic to work, so I have to make do with the inline Phillips in the SC. But when I'm walking clean, * I usually carry a Super Tinker and an Executive, because, orange peeler.

* Walking clean = wearing nicer clothes, ie, to town, or to church, or visiting.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 06:34:14 AM
Her husband came over and told me he too had a SAK at home, and that it was "better" than my Tourist. I guess he meant it had more tools, which as we know doesn't necessarily make a knife "better"!)

Well done.  In my view, any SAK in the hand/pocket when you need it is "better" than whatever might be at home!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 06:45:10 AM
When I'm carrying a knife with a corkscrew (Huntsman, Ranger, Evo s14, Ruike M31, etc.) I end up using them for all sorts of poking. When I'm not carrying one, some of those jobs get shifted to an inline awl. When I'm near my bike tools, I use a sharpened spoke.

Attached: 8-year-old pictures of the time I used a Huntsman as a makeshift handle to pull off an anchor bolt template. That template was really jammed in there.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 07:01:54 AM
I recently got a Climber and I am really enjoying it  :climber:.  I love the corkscrew but really haven't found a real need for it yet, I know I will find uses as I keep carrying it but it got me thinking how often do you use the corkscrew? Once a week, Once a month, Once every 3 months, etc...

I probably only get occasional use out of it.  I have used it for removing corks, untying knots, poking, prying, etc.  I also sometimes use the mini-screwdriver.

The corkscrew adds a lot more versatility and capability than the backside Philips, especially when paired with the mini-screwdriver and or some of the Tortoise Gear products.

I've been carrying more 93mm lately, though, so we'll see how much I miss the corkscrew.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 09:22:47 AM
The corkscrew is a dedicated tool that usually comes useful when you least expect it, as when people go to a party or to a picnic and suddenly realise that they do not have a corkscrew to open ta bottle of wine they brought or were given.

I always find threads like this interesting, where you see a divide between regions, some having no use or need for the corkscrew and some wondering why the question is even being asked for such a tool used daily.

Not all wine containers will  have screw-tops or pull rings or be made of carton everywhere.

Same with bottle openers/cap lifters where many claim to have never needed one.

Finlay, the corkscrew is also a holder for the mini driver
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 11:43:13 AM
I use the corkscrew to hold the mini SD. Neither see much use, but I prefer to have them than not as I find them more useful than the back Phillips. For instance, the corkscrew has opened cupboard doors without handles, just the holes. And of course it's great for loosening knots and cleaning under fingernails. And the other day I couldn't have helped the nice woman whose lens fell out of her glasses when the screw that held it in had got loose and dropped out. (Amazingly, she found the screw! A tiny, tiny thing that needed tweezers to reinsert into its place. Her husband came over and told me he too had a SAK at home, and that it was "better" than my Tourist. I guess he meant it had more tools, which as we know doesn't necessarily make a knife "better"!)

I have several of the mini screwdrivers that I move from SAK to SAK as needed.  One evening I decided to try one on the screw in my glasses, and discovered that without my glasses, I can barely see the screw, let alone the slot in it.  :rofl:  Reading your story made me think that the mini driver is only there so you can help others.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 05:33:58 PM
The corkscrew is a dedicated tool that usually comes useful when you least expect it, as when people go to a party or to a picnic and suddenly realise that they do not have a corkscrew to open ta bottle of wine they brought or were given.

I always find threads like this interesting, where you see a divide between regions, some having no use or need for the corkscrew and some wondering why the question is even being asked for such a tool used daily.

Not all wine containers will  have screw-tops or pull rings or be made of carton everywhere.

Same with bottle openers/cap lifters where many claim to have never needed one.

Finlay, the corkscrew is also a holder for the mini driver
True
Ive never used the bottle opener either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #27 on: April 16, 2021, 05:34:57 PM
Are we talking times deployed to remove the eyeglass screwdriver or pin? If not, rarely, and that is never as intended.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 06:21:32 PM
I can't say I use it frequently: however, the corkscrew has proven to be handy enough--especially on road trips--often enough that I really like to have one. For me, the corkscrew gets used more often than the backside Phillips.   :dunno:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 04:55:49 AM
Well done.  In my view, any SAK in the hand/pocket when you need it is "better" than whatever might be at home!

Yup.

I don't think he was being smart. He was as happy as his wife was that I could help. I guess some people forget that pocket knives are for carrying.
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD